Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 926 927 [928] 929 930 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2696813 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13905 on: October 01, 2013, 12:32:30 am »

Why? It's fine to play the old version. There's people with campaigns they still play from, like, 5.0 and such.

Because there's a raft of new features and bug fixes in the next release that would make my next campaign far easier to play (and I wouldn't have to micromanage my officers to remove all the super-pilots before they hit Grand Admiral of the Universe due to crazy-bonus bug.)

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13906 on: October 01, 2013, 03:32:42 am »

*eye twitch*
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13907 on: October 01, 2013, 09:54:29 am »

*eye twitch*
Hah. Unlucky you; I've gotten Samuel Jackson as an officer before.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13908 on: October 01, 2013, 11:34:01 am »

Teehee

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13909 on: October 01, 2013, 11:34:26 pm »

So I've restarted a mass exodus across the stars/BSG 12 colonies type game.
These things never last long but it's always fun to design the ships. This time around I've gone for 12 motherships, each named after one of the zodiacal constellations, 787,000 tons with a few extra tech levels of engine research(otherwise the fuel requirements would be absurd), each ship varying slightly from this basic design:
The fuel harvesters give some flexability, each ship can collect enough sorium in one year to allow 2 billion kilometers of travel. Full refuelling however would take 20 years, there will however be other logistical ships to help out. The variances will include one ship modified with recreational facilities, one with an orbital habitat(which is basically useless but it's for rp reasons) one with troop transports and construction brigades, and one with extra engines to haul a shipyard, I'll also cart around a research center divided amongst 2 ships, which should require the million population those ships can carry, plus 500,000 of the 750,000 tons cargo capacity, and also half the 200 infrastructure needed to put those million onto a cost 2 world.
The basic idea here will be to start the fleet in a random system which has a single jump point and nothing useful, but at least one asteroid for logistical reasons, the goal will be to find sol (i don't know if it will ever be randomly generated, since i deleted it at the start of the game, but at some point i may merely SM it in, perhaps after all the local systems have been found).
The rest of the fleet will contain a pair of 100,000 ton carriers, and a few much smaller military and commercial support craft. there will also be a shipyard being towed by one of the Titans.

Impressively large. Biggest civilian ships in my BSG game was 178,000 tons (and the Artemis itself was just a hair over 100,000 but it was designed as something of a "light" battlestar).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13910 on: October 02, 2013, 12:55:15 am »

How do civilian mining colonies work? do they need a population to operate?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13911 on: October 02, 2013, 12:56:42 am »

Nope. They'll be founded independently of what you do, and consist entirely of automines and mass drivers. If you just leave them alone (WHY!?) you'll get wealth income, or you can buy the mineral output and use the mass driver to shoot it somewhere useful.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13912 on: October 02, 2013, 01:29:59 am »

Hmm, I'm thinking that when my colony finally settles down somewhere Civilian mining colonies will actually give a massive boost to income and mining capabilities.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13913 on: October 02, 2013, 06:48:26 am »

Nope. They'll be founded independently of what you do, and consist entirely of automines and mass drivers. If you just leave them alone (WHY!?) you'll get wealth income, or you can buy the mineral output and use the mass driver to shoot it somewhere useful.

They also come with a free Deep Space Tracking Facility and a garrison you can move around and do with what you like.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13914 on: October 03, 2013, 09:05:10 pm »

If you just leave them alone (WHY!?)
Well, sometimes, specially when the colony is on it's last dredges, it's producing a single mineral that you already have loads of at something like .2-.1 availability. At that point you might as well just sell the minerals, specially if you are not literally swimming in enough cash to buy a few empires thrice over.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13915 on: October 04, 2013, 05:26:51 am »

So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

EDIT: Ugh, every time I think I'm getting the handle of one aspect of this game there's a new tutorial right around the corner ready to fuck me over. Plus, all this nuclear fallout is making me depressed. I'm going to take a break from this thing.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 06:20:52 am by woose1 »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13916 on: October 04, 2013, 08:41:15 am »

If you just leave them alone (WHY!?)
Well, sometimes, specially when the colony is on it's last dredges, it's producing a single mineral that you already have loads of at something like .2-.1 availability. At that point you might as well just sell the minerals, specially if you are not literally swimming in enough cash to buy a few empires thrice over.

If you are swimming in cash, you don't have enough research labs.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13917 on: October 05, 2013, 02:38:06 am »

Right!
I think it's time to replace the glorified space tugs guarding Earth at the moment.

A light missile frigate designed to have a number and range advantage. I hope I haven't missed anything glaringly obvious other than the low rate of fire (working on).
This is my first proper military ship, what have I screwed up?

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13918 on: October 05, 2013, 02:59:42 am »

Firstly, the Jupiter Class Missile Fire Control can be safely removed, as it is inferior to the Jupiter Missile Fire Control. Secondly, you should probably look into getting faster missiles, since the Jupiter missile has only a 25.7% chance of hitting a Skirmisher class, and would have even lower to-hit probabilities against faster ships.

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13919 on: October 05, 2013, 02:17:58 pm »

i designed my first missilies, where can i produce them?
Pages: 1 ... 926 927 [928] 929 930 ... 1346