Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2698554 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #14670 on: April 24, 2014, 01:27:06 pm »

Hyperdrive was disabled, IIRC.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14671 on: April 24, 2014, 02:48:57 pm »

Ah pooperdoodles.

EDIT: how the fuck do you get a ground force training facility from one planet to another? I've sent a cargo ship with two standard cargo holds back and forth from the moon with components and the  earth has the same number of GFTFs and the moon has NONE.
Ground force training facilities are *huge*.  A single unit of infrastructure is 2.5 ktons.  PDCs are twice that at 5 ktons.  Your average facility is 25ktons, which is around 1 standard cargo hold in newer versions if I recall the numbers properly.  However, a GFTF ranks in, alongside research labs and genetic modification centres, at 500 ktons.  You typically don't want to be hauling GFTFs around, especially since moving the soldiers takes up much less tonnage, unless you really want/need to have your production centres on the front lines.

It's still a little odd that it isn't showing decimal places, though.  You should be picking up fractions of the GFTF with each load. 

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14672 on: April 24, 2014, 03:05:55 pm »

I wasn't even aware that GFTF were mobile.  All advice I've ever heard about them was to build them where you need them.

That said, I doubt it's either necessary or practical to have them spread over multiple bodies in the same system.  It's not like your troop transports have anything better to do during peace time...

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14673 on: April 24, 2014, 03:13:09 pm »

Ah, that makes sense.  You'll need a troop transport large enough to carry construction brigades at some point, though, over the course of your explorations; if nothing else, CUs can also act as mobile factories for young colonies.  For me, if a planet starts getting uppity, I'll usually just drop some cheap PDCs on it and call it good.  Nothing says "play nice" like a plasma carronade looming over your colony, even if it's not technically connected to a power capacitor, or reactor, or targeting system, or pretty much anything to let it actually fire.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 03:14:53 pm by Culise »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14674 on: April 24, 2014, 03:14:00 pm »

It could make sense to move them to newly occupied planets to create forced labour brigade.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14675 on: April 24, 2014, 04:37:13 pm »

It could make sense to move them to newly occupied planets to create forced labour brigade.
The thing is, conquered NPR worlds will usually have GFTFs for you to capture, or an industrial base to build them with.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14676 on: April 24, 2014, 04:43:22 pm »

Blargh I so stupid, I read the patch notes and everything and I still try and make underground infrastructure to try and ship out like normal infrastructure.....

note: you need to build underground infrastructure directly on the rock you want to colonise, which also means either orbital habitats or construction/forced labour brigades as well as construction factories and minerals before you can really get settlers on the rocks, should be good though to get a 50k population on some anchorage far away from any colony for fleet maintenance/morale/hookers.

Also I feel like trying out a Disaster game and I'm just thinking it's going to be pretty funny once it gets to the stage where I have like 50000 infrastructure on Earth and it's supporting 1 person.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14677 on: April 24, 2014, 04:49:56 pm »

WHat's a reasonable fuel reserve in the early game? It seems like every time I try to get started in this, as soon as I build a small defensive/scouting fleet (around six warships, one with a jump drive), a geo/grav survey fleet (2 of each type), and the freighters needed for insystem colonization, I'm completely and permanently out of fuel. I can't tell if I simply need to accept slower, more efficient engines, need to focus more on refineries in the early game, or what.

As an aside, assuming I used this as my standard anti-ship missile (thrown together as an example, not intended as a good missile)

Code: [Select]
Missile Size: 10 MSP  (0.5 HS)     Warhead: 12    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 16
Speed: 5400 km/s    Engine Endurance: 107.7 hours   Range: 2,093.8m km
Cost Per Missile: 4.955
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 86.4%   3k km/s 16%   5k km/s 17.3%   10k km/s 8.6%
Materials Required:    3x Tritanium   1.955x Gallicite   Fuel x1250

Development Cost for Project: 496RP

Would mixing these into the salvos be effective?

Code: [Select]
Missile Size: 10 MSP  (0.5 HS)     Warhead: 0    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 5400 km/s    Engine Endurance: 398.5 hours   Range: 7,747.1m km
Cost Per Missile: 2.809
Second Stage: Size 1 Anti-missile Missile x5
Second Stage Separation Range: 300,000 km
Overall Endurance: 17 days   Overall Range: 7802.6m km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 54%   3k km/s 10%   5k km/s 10.8%   10k km/s 5.4%
Materials Required:    1.25x Tritanium   1.559x Gallicite   Fuel x4625

Development Cost for Project: 281RP

The idea being to force the defenders to expend counter-missiles and point-defense shots and allow the more powerful ones to get through.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14678 on: April 24, 2014, 05:07:53 pm »

Lord Shous, those missiles are absurdly long ranged and slow (hue). That aside, decoys and MIRVs work in a sense, but you're better off just spending your resources making more real ASMs.

3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14679 on: April 24, 2014, 05:12:51 pm »

I just threw those together to illustrate what I was talking about better than vague descriptions. I explicitly said as much.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14680 on: April 24, 2014, 06:02:25 pm »

Blargh I so stupid, I read the patch notes and everything and I still try and make underground infrastructure to try and ship out like normal infrastructure.....

note: you need to build underground infrastructure directly on the rock you want to colonise, which also means either orbital habitats or construction/forced labour brigades as well as construction factories and minerals before you can really get settlers on the rocks, should be good though to get a 50k population on some anchorage far away from any colony for fleet maintenance/morale/hookers.

Also I feel like trying out a Disaster game and I'm just thinking it's going to be pretty funny once it gets to the stage where I have like 50000 infrastructure on Earth and it's supporting 1 person.

Assuming your orbital habitats start at max capacity, initial underground infrastructure should offset colony growth (although I'd have to test in-game, and assume that I'm colonizing a rock of duranium so simultaneous mining).  For the first couple years, that is probably all I'd expect (underground infrastructure is 5x expensive as traditional infrastructure, and you'll probably want to build other things when you've got sufficient infrastructural growth).

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14681 on: April 24, 2014, 06:15:28 pm »

Underground infrastructure doesn't have much use outside of long distance outposts, it's much cheaper and quicker to just plop auto-mines if you want to mine out a rock.

Although RP reasons can be used to justify anything, I will probably have a bunch of rocks colonised for a faction of people who choose to live away from the oppressive nature of society and live out as a community in the asteroid belt as Belters, and the heavy handed Iron Coalition attempt to keep peace with military dictatorship and enforce their rules.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14682 on: April 24, 2014, 09:03:15 pm »

I just threw those together to illustrate what I was talking about better than vague descriptions. I explicitly said as much.
Which is why I edited to make it apparent that I was joking. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Also, I actually addressed what you were asking. As I said, using decoys and two-stage swarms can work, but ultimately you're allocating resources and magazine space to a specialized weapon which is of dubious effectiveness for one task and markedly inefficient for all others, even more so because you have no real guarantee that the enemy will target the decoys. Heck, just look at the resource costs, the difference is incredibly slim.

I went through and did some maths, and basically what it comes down to is this: If you put warheads on the size-1 decoys, if you have sufficient weight of fire to break through their AMM fire, and if their AMMs don't discriminate between decoys and ASMs, you'll get a slight increase in effective damage per volley, in exchange for spending time, RP, and lots of extra fuel to equip your ships with weapons that will be effectively useless in any other situation.

You could do it, and it would work, but it's of dubious usefulness if you already have the capacity to saturate their defences, if you have AMM ships or PD ships to soak up fire, &c. Basically, if you're willing to go to that much trouble to drain their AMMs, you might as well play the little game of dancing back and forth over the edge of their maximum range. Or you could just turn the decoys into weapons of their own with decent warheads and good speed with a sprint range and just saturate with those without bothering with anything else. :|

3. Run Resize Enable

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14683 on: April 24, 2014, 11:44:18 pm »

iron coalition?

How can you call your eccentric liberals Belters and not call the oppressive government the UN? 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14684 on: April 25, 2014, 12:03:53 am »

I move GFTF around with one normal sized freighter. GFTFs can be moved in decimal sized portions over multiple trips.

The key is to make sure you only have the same number of facilities on the world they are built on that you want on the planet they are to be transferred to.

To facilitate this once I have a colony off homeworld and have a homeworld garrison built I transfer all my existing GFTFs to the colony.

This is very easy to do, simply order your one freighter to load GFTF at the homeworld, set it to unload at the colony, then a refuel at homeworld order. Hit repeat twice to have a nice stack of orders, then toggle the cycle moves checkbox.

Your Freighter will continue loading, unloading and then refueling at the load point. When the GFTFs are all on the colony, the freighter will return to refuel and then cancel the load order leaving the freighter on the homeworld.

Now after transferring your GFTFs to the first colony, if you want a single GFTF on a third colony, you can build that single GFTF on your homeworld and transfer it in the above way.

What I tend to do is transfer a single GFTF to new colonies and build a Divison command, a brigade command, and some construction brigades and garrisons.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:06:43 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 1346