Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1236 1237 [1238] 1239 1240 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2705319 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #18555 on: June 17, 2017, 12:45:04 pm »

My first game included no maintenance. I stopped playing it because I screwed up really badly.

Another question (This thread is downright helpful! Especially as Aurora hasn't gotten my account confirmed for their forums yet):
If I update that option in the start screen, or update other options, will it affect a game in progress?

And it's not even combat---it's perpetual, once-daily warnings of "Possible Interception" not even player-related.

EDIT:
Never mind. Just tried it, still getting interception messages. Going to start a new game. Try some different things instead.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:53:15 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18556 on: June 17, 2017, 12:56:40 pm »

The clock for the overhauled ships is going *UP*, not down.

These ships are less than a thousand tons apiece, which is below my maintenance facility's maximum ship size (so that shouldn't be the problem). I can't even cancel the orders to overhaul because the proper buttons to do so are greyed out.

This run is bugged and I'm done with it. Starting over.
I'm gunna guess you had maintenance turned off.  This only happens if you have maint turned off and send a ship in for overhaul.  There is a way to break ships out of this but I forget what it was.

Edit: and within seconds I remember.  Refit, just refit the ships in a shipyard and they should break out of being stuck in overhaul.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18557 on: June 17, 2017, 12:57:52 pm »

I almost forgot---with the world with all the intercept issues, I had generated 6 NPR and a 10 percent "Spawn new NPR" value.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18558 on: June 17, 2017, 01:01:19 pm »

I almost forgot---with the world with all the intercept issues, I had generated 6 NPR and a 10 percent "Spawn new NPR" value.
That would be it.  For your first few games you don't want ANY NPRs at start.  The only way to get through that is to hit the auto turn button at the top and hit 30 days.  Go make your self a sandwich, watch a show, come back and hit the button again after 10-30 minutes.

I usually only start with 2 NPRs but have chance to 100%.  100% because it's not based on each system, but a system with a planet that meets the requirements to support life, which is really rare.  I've played games where I've discovered 70 systems and only 2 spawned a NPR.  Numerous spoilers but NPRs are going to be rare.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18559 on: June 17, 2017, 01:05:24 pm »

Here's a question: If I place multiple survey vessels in the same task group, will they all fly together to the same locations? Or will they split their efforts?

I've always created multiple task groups, each with a single ship, because I never knew for sure.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18560 on: June 17, 2017, 01:06:00 pm »

Like I said: I played through the best part of an ingame year.

And they just kept generating.

I wonder if it was some form of civilian-traffic issues. Two NPRs with civi traffic in the same system, continually spotting each other?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18561 on: June 17, 2017, 01:07:30 pm »

For getting into game start with just 0 or 1 NPRs and low chances to find new ones. And no invaders. Precusors and swarm are possible.
Generally all settings should be applicable even for ongoing game.

Note you can manually copy Stevefire.mdb. So make few folders and every few years save a copy, possible using quick-and-dirty copy-and-replace to next door folder as a quicksave feature for JP exploration and testing stuff. It may be also good idea (once you made a copy somewhere) to get rid of previous games in the current savefile DB, just so that there is no chance for the game to mix stuff together.

Here's a question: If I place multiple survey vessels in the same task group, will they all fly together to the same locations? Or will they split their efforts?

I've always created multiple task groups, each with a single ship, because I never knew for sure.
All ships in one task group have to be in one position. No exceptions. Note there are "split", "detach" buttons and "join" and "absorb" commands.

EDIT: Also note there is that "Naval organization" tab which offer lots of other possibilities for easier .. ehm... naval organization.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 01:09:31 pm by Detros »
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18562 on: June 17, 2017, 01:09:53 pm »

So to get survey work done quickly, multiple groups are the way to go.

That's kinda a shame. Clicking New TG and Rename TG over and over again gets a bit annoying.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18563 on: June 17, 2017, 01:15:00 pm »

Like I said: I played through the best part of an ingame year.

And they just kept generating.

I wonder if it was some form of civilian-traffic issues. Two NPRs with civi traffic in the same system, continually spotting each other?
It's most likely two NPR's who've spotted each other and are keeping each other at range while they sort out their disposition to each other.  This could take in-game hours or weeks.  Basically they are constantly changing orders to keep in and out of sensor range.  Only thing to do it is to barrel through it with auto turns.  Either wait for them to decided they are friendly to each other or to start fighting.

This kind of thing is why when ever I make first contact I exit the system to stop this from being done to me.  It prevents them from disliking you for being in "their" space and you aren't getting interrupts from order changes every 5 seconds.

Using the Fleet Org, OOB and default orders you can set up survey fleets that once given an order to split up will go off and survey and once done rejoin.  You need some kind of mother/command ship to be the heart of the fleet for them to rejoin onto.  Though that could be one of the survey ships them selves, a tanker, jump tender, or jump tanker tender.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18564 on: June 17, 2017, 01:47:45 pm »

That...sounds really cool. And a massive time-saver. Could you give me a quick run-down on how to get it set up?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18565 on: June 17, 2017, 02:26:31 pm »

That...sounds really cool. And a massive time-saver. Could you give me a quick run-down on how to get it set up?
Try checking these for overview and come back with direct questions:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 02:29:57 pm by Detros »
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18566 on: June 17, 2017, 04:56:28 pm »

These ships are less than a thousand tons apiece, which is below my maintenance facility's maximum ship size (so that shouldn't be the problem).

What exactly is the tonnage on these ships? Are they less than 500 tons?

If so, then your problem is that they can't be refitted given that anything under 500 tons is designated as a fighter and fighters can not be overhauled to reduce their maintenance clock, so they essentially have to be scrapped and rebuilt.

Not relevant to your issue: I generally like to turn many of my scout/utility ships into disposable fighter designs mostly because of my love for small, light, fast, ships. I'll usually have a grav surveyor, geo surveyor, officer/team transport ship (for flavor), small fuel tanker (You'd be surprised how much fuel a small fighter can hold. Essentially, enough for me.), sensor scout simply to jump in, poke around (if it's blown up, it's no big deal.) and I also have an "ambulance" type fighter (with just some cryo on it) that I use to quickly retrieve life pods. Again, mostly for flavor. I probably have some more types of the like but I don't particularly remember.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18567 on: June 17, 2017, 05:19:13 pm »

It was about 950 tons. Not that it matters anymore.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18568 on: June 17, 2017, 11:03:09 pm »

What exactly is the tonnage on these ships? Are they less than 500 tons?

If so, then your problem is that they can't be refitted given that anything under 500 tons is designated as a fighter and fighters can not be overhauled to reduce their maintenance clock, so they essentially have to be scrapped and rebuilt.
Fighters (everything up to 500t) are build in fighter factories and not shipyards and they can't be refitted so when you want them to upgrade you need to build a new one and scrap the old one. They can't be overhauled as standard ships, yes. But if you dock a fighter (or any ship) inside a hangar its maintenance clock will start going down. This hangar area can be inside PDC so it is good idea to build one with 1k-5k capacity to store your assortment of fighter designs when you are not currently using them (taxis, ambulance ships...). If you make a separate organization branch with the fighter(s) you can then easily separate them with button "Create Task Group: Ship only/Branch only" and land them back with command "Land on specified mothership (+Assign)" and later "Land on assigned mothership". For bigger groups there are those "Store branch list: Add" and "Assign MS" (assign selected ship to stored branches as mothership) buttons.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18569 on: June 18, 2017, 12:16:21 am »

But if you dock a fighter (or any ship) inside a hangar its maintenance clock will start going down.

I thought that only stopped the maintenance clock from going up? Hold on, let me hop into Aurora.

EDIT: It appears you're right. My bad.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 12:28:25 am by coleslaw35 »
Pages: 1 ... 1236 1237 [1238] 1239 1240 ... 1346