Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1255 1256 [1257] 1258 1259 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2672597 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #18840 on: October 11, 2017, 09:54:32 pm »

Woot woot, first fleet finally kicked off from port! Two Resolution-class Destroyers, two Illustrious-class Destroyers, a pair of Upholder-class support ships, and an Audacious-class Cruiser. Hopefully we find something to pew the faces off of soon, they've already done a victory lap of the solar system, taking a stop at each planet starting from mercury then returning to Earth. Working on the carrier now, not sure whether I wanna stock it with fighters or 500+ton craft... It can be up to size 130k, I may have left a shipyard continually expanding for... twelve? years.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18841 on: October 11, 2017, 10:57:42 pm »

Alright, I can't look through everything now (My brain hurts) but you're mixing weapon types and ranges, which is going to make for a SERIOUS headache with fire control. You either have to have multiple FCs (Wasting space) or just fire guns into space and miss (Waste of, well, that's not so bad but it's still not ideal).

The BIGGEST issue I see is that your missile has such a crappy turn rating that it's got a 65% chance-to-hit a target moving at 3000km/s. Which is just not acceptable.

Also, your missiles max out at 9.9mkm range....your fire control can reach out and target someone at 56.9mkm. You're wasting a LOT of space for that FC that you don't need to be.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18842 on: October 11, 2017, 11:40:48 pm »

Ah, rip. I still haven't found anything in my solar system, so I'm going to have to reach out to other systems to find people to fight with these guys, or just simply make a new series of ships and keep these around as sort of a home defense force, just floating around earth or mars or someplace I plop a floating colony.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18843 on: October 12, 2017, 12:35:29 am »

Replace those turrets with regular mounted lasers.  Without a FC with the same tracking you are wasting tonnage with that.

Also 16 points of shields aren't going to stop anything more than a single attack ships single wave of missiles, and they won't even recharge a single point before the next 3-5 waves of missiles arrive.  You can stick with it but that tonnage could go to more armor.  2 layers of armor isn't enough for a combat ship, almost all weapons will pierce right through that.  Ex.  Your 19cm laser at max range will do it's two damage to armor, but at the next range bracket it's third point would go right through to internals.

Hold off on missiles until you hit a much higher speed boost tech and with .4 fuel use you should have a much longer range with your offensive missiles.  My Ion level AMMs accidentally end up at similar range as those ASMs.  If you aren't doing it already use single engines for your missiles, they are much more fuel efficient.

Those CSWs aren't going to be enough to put a dent in most missile barrages.  You want something more to thin them out, or more CSWs.  I never throw CSWs on combat ships, only commercial that enter hostile systems.  I just feel the tonnage is better used on more offense for the offense ships and fleet defense from the defense ships.

Edit:  Actually just checked some of my old games and my average Ion tech AMM has double the range of your ASMs.  I should probably stop doing that.
Also you should think about adding passive sensors.  I usually throw a pair of at least size 3 (150 tons) of each.  That's enough to pick up large active sensors from across some systems and to detect colonies.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 12:40:20 am by Shooer »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18844 on: October 12, 2017, 01:29:24 am »

Ah, thanks for the advice, I've upgraded my tech a lot since those were designed, do I get any minerals back from scrapping them? I'm 2-3 techs ahead in everything on them except shields and armour, which I've neglected in my laser deranged madness.

Update: Looked at the numbers in detail: My far ultra violet lasers? Useless. My longest range is 192k km, meaning Visible lasers are the longest I can use. I'm going to redesign my anti-ship missiles to be 20m range, and my fighter box missiles to be size 2 2m range missiles. Might make a corvette covered in size 2 or 3 missiles to swarm the enemy while my destroyers hit them with size 6 heavy hitting missiles. Also going to be restricting weapons by class: Frigate railgun, Corvettes micro missiles, destroyers heavy missiles, cruisers lasers, flagships will be allowed to mix. My fighters will be a mix oftwo types:  8 size 2 box launchers and 20cm lasers, sadly can't seem to get them to be below 333 tons yet. I think I'll cover my carriers with gauss turrets to take out missiles for the fleet, and leave some CIWS on the fleet tenders. Going to ignore shields for now and focus on armour.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:32:57 am by StagnantSoul »

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18845 on: October 12, 2017, 02:24:54 am »

Ah, thanks for the advice, I've upgraded my tech a lot since those were designed, do I get any minerals back from scrapping them? I'm 2-3 techs ahead in everything on them except shields and armour, which I've neglected in my laser deranged madness.
Scrapping of missiles gives you back 25% of minerals and wealth and 100% of fuel. Scrapping of ship components gives you back 30% of minerals an wealth. Just put your mouse over the Scrap buttons and it will tell you the returns.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18846 on: October 12, 2017, 03:15:44 am »

It is still better to use the higher laser tech because the damage falloff is better. You will do more damage beyond the Max range bracket of the visible light laser.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18847 on: October 12, 2017, 06:02:54 pm »

Eh, two questions:

1: Does a stealthy ship have any place in a combat situation? Like can they pew someone without giving away their position?

2: How stealthy is this ship? It's meant to go into other areas and drop off a fighter to watch the area, while it moves on and plops a second down somewhere else and also watches itself. I know it's rather slow but even if caught it's rather replaceable. Will probably be setting up some shipyards on mars for it, might even move all my civilian shipyards to it and focus on military at Earth. I still haven't found an NPR or... Anything, yet. I put it to have 3 NPR's in the beginning, hoping this finds some.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18848 on: October 12, 2017, 06:20:50 pm »

Active sensors are never stealthy. If you want stealth you'll need passives.
I never used stealth, but I think your ship will be detected at about 2/3 of the usual distance.
I would wait for better stealth tech. Then add massive passive sensors and not many engines, so your heat signature is low as well (for passiv thermals).

If you went with the standard 1000 stars it might take a while to find NPRs. Precursors are usually in systems with habitable planets.

I let my survey ships do the scouting. While the gravs might never see any inhabitants the geo surveyers will find them. Unless they are found first.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18849 on: October 12, 2017, 06:31:39 pm »

Oh, good thing I didn't set up the yard for them yet then. I'll just send out more survey craft. And when I do make a stealth ship I'll leave it with just passives, by then probably much better passives too.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18850 on: October 12, 2017, 07:24:16 pm »

Cloaking devices reduce the cross section of a ship.  Cross section is used by active sensors to detect ships.  So a 10k ship with a 20% reduction is considered 8k. 

If you are going to use cloak and haven't met anyone else yet go with your best friend when designing your ships: design to fight your self.  So if you are fitting cloaks on a ship that will be in direct combat then design them to fight outside the range where they would be detected.

The only time I do stealth ships is siege ships.  Usually 6k sometimes 8k.  Fit with a few box launchers armed with massive long range MIRVs.  Their job is to enter a system with the main combat fleet and immediately move in a circle around the system as main combat fleet heads right into the enemy.  Main fleet draws mobile combat elements and engages while stealth ships move at slow speed to get into position where they won't be detected and can launch their payload at any fortified location.

I design for but never use is a stealth capture ship.  Main ship carries the marines and a super high speed assault shuttle that fireslaunches drops the marines off.  The main use most people use for stealth is ships fitted with massive passive sensors to be used as spy ships.  Active sensors glow like a sun even for small EM sensors so they aren't conducive to stealth.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18851 on: October 12, 2017, 07:34:09 pm »

Missiles can have their own active sensors? So they can be used by a ship that lacks such things? Or at least a spotter fighter could work...

I think that the real question is what class will be named "Pyrrhic"...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18852 on: October 12, 2017, 07:56:50 pm »

On my siege MIRVs the sub-munitions get thermal sensors.  That allows them to close without being detected for even longer, but not that they would get defensive fire any sooner if they did have actives.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18853 on: October 12, 2017, 10:44:17 pm »

Welp, decided to restart after I looked at the years: Started year 2000, it was 2104... I spent the first fifty derping around with science and doing everything wrong, this time I'll get right to everything with what I know now. Already have two survey craft thumping out, invested in a civilian line early so they'll actually do something for once, have a Sorium mine orbiting Jupiter making 3.2million litres of fuel per annumm, whatever the hell that means, wondering how to ship it home without spending forever in transit. Could I set up a fast tanker to go back and fourth between Telos (my Earth) and Jupiter without me telling it to every time? Already have a long range surveyor in another system, and working on my jump gate production tech so I can get them pumping out. I miss my awesome 65% bonus missile and kinetic scientist though...

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18854 on: October 13, 2017, 12:06:56 am »

I can't believe that I don't know this, but is it possible to mass-driver fuel?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 1255 1256 [1257] 1258 1259 ... 1346