Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1282 1283 [1284] 1285 1286 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2672444 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19245 on: September 30, 2018, 11:39:12 pm »

What do you put on your freighters to make them military ships? What engines do you use? Haven't played in a while but they should be at least size 25 and with a low power modificator. Maximum of .5 I think. I use size 50 and one regular cargohold for 25 space.

Freighters shouldn't need maintenance at all, because only military ships do.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19246 on: September 30, 2018, 11:42:40 pm »

Why don't you go ahead and post your freighter design. We should be able to spot the problem, and you can then SM the fix.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #19247 on: October 01, 2018, 07:23:34 pm »

Your freighters shouldn't be blowing up, period, unless they're being actively shot at by something. It makes me think that you've accidentally added non-civilian parts to it.

If you have, don't do that - one of the big advantages of civilian parts is that you don't have to worry about maintenance.

Freighters shouldn't need maintenance at all, because only military ships do.

Yes and yes. But I ... erm, I built these freighters before I had commercial engines. In fact I only just now have technology for them, which I know because a civilian line started launching some ships.

Why don't you go ahead and post your freighter design. We should be able to spot the problem, and you can then SM the fix.

Will do. I don't have access to Aurora ATM though.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19248 on: October 01, 2018, 07:45:54 pm »

I don't think you automatically get civilian part designs for your own ships.  But yes, you should design a commercial engine from the start before you build freighters.  You just design an engine with an engine power rating of 0.5 or less and an engine size of 25 or more.  I occasionally find it useful to construct geosurvey ships since geosurvey sensors are also commercial gear, though I'm as liable to go with interchangable geo/grav designs that can be built from the same shipyard or, if I'm feeling more RP-heavy, gravsurvey motherships with light geosurvey parasites. 

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19249 on: October 02, 2018, 02:18:54 pm »

If you have engines, you have conventional engines by default. You just need to design and research them. It is not a special part or anything. It used to be a bit different, but even back then you could always choose to design a commercial engine, iirc.
Any engine size 25+ AND power rating of .5 or less is automatically a commercial engine.
I hardly ever use anything but size 50 (the maximum) for commercial engines, though I might lower the power rating with later techs, once my freighters have decent speed. But I usually still have the .5 engines for other ships that I want to be quicker.

The civvies only care for your engine tech level I think. And Culise is right in that you do not get the engines they designed.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19250 on: November 25, 2018, 05:42:42 pm »

I saw this posted on the game sales forum, so giving it a try.

And well...

Started playing at 1 pm, and next thing I know its 4 am

I'm kinda rather enjoying Aurora a lot more than I was with distant worlds (which is how aurora got brought up in the sales thread). Its kinda similar, but to me a lot better and I actually like the...."graphics" myself. But because I don't have access to my PC since dealing with stuff in real life outside my home of US, I'm just playing it on an okay/average PC but at least not the worst.

It doesn't lag so far though for me, but I guess it may become a problem later. I know from what someone said in the sales thread is the game is being made in a new language, that should perform a lot better. But I'm having a lot of fun thus far.

As for a guide, I'm following this one

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkX3e0ltKl

Seems the most informative non-youtube guide.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19251 on: November 25, 2018, 06:07:25 pm »

Not going to lie, that link made you look like a spambot at first glance. Looks like a really nice guide, but the url is not what you would expect.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19252 on: November 25, 2018, 07:17:55 pm »

Not going to lie, that link made you look like a spambot at first glance. Looks like a really nice guide, but the url is not what you would expect.

yeah, the link URL probably drives people to NOT click it even though its a legit guide.

But the guide is still good, even though its a tad outdated. For example there isn't civilian/military platforms for engines anymore which the guide says to select. Instead have to actually make the "stats" of the engine certain parameters for it to be classified as a civilian engine.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19253 on: November 25, 2018, 09:24:01 pm »

Yep, pretty much all the quickstart information/guides out there are years out of date.

FWIW, like I said in the sales thread, you can pretty much totally avert the slowdown the game used to suffer from if you have the right NPR spawn settings. The slowdown wasn't really "lag", it was just that when you had AI factions operating in the same system they would continually run sensor contact checks, which both made turns take longer and caused frequent interruptions (in the sense of "you try to run a 30-day tick and get interrupted 500 times with second-/hour-range ticks because AI keep detecting each other"). Eventually you'd have to give up because you either had to keep going into SM-mode to find and delete AI causing interruptions or it would take real-time days to advance a month.

Glad you're enjoying it, and feel free to ask us if you have any questions!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19254 on: November 26, 2018, 12:59:41 am »

Yep, pretty much all the quickstart information/guides out there are years out of date.

FWIW, like I said in the sales thread, you can pretty much totally avert the slowdown the game used to suffer from if you have the right NPR spawn settings. The slowdown wasn't really "lag", it was just that when you had AI factions operating in the same system they would continually run sensor contact checks, which both made turns take longer and caused frequent interruptions (in the sense of "you try to run a 30-day tick and get interrupted 500 times with second-/hour-range ticks because AI keep detecting each other"). Eventually you'd have to give up because you either had to keep going into SM-mode to find and delete AI causing interruptions or it would take real-time days to advance a month.

Glad you're enjoying it, and feel free to ask us if you have any questions!

The guide wasn't very helpful, but I'm watching Quill18's playthrough and its making a lot more sense. Not really any questions so far since he has been explaining things well. Though probably outdated videos since they are from 2015.

The guide I posted seemed off. Even though I followed what it said. It didn't explain building, which quill showed. And it didn't explain really much actually besides making ships/parts. I got kinda frustrated, cause my ships kept randomly running out of fuel super quick (and the guide doesn't explain about fuel tankers) and they kept complaining about the ships being overloaded with population even though I just did the ships the guide provided.  The being overloaded with pop was most annoying part, which the guide just makes players build WRONG ships that are overcrowded. It didn't explain that at all or why it was like that, but after a google search I bet its cause the guide has you CHEAT ships with spacemaster...and supposedly that breaks ships lol. It wouldn't even allow me to add crew quarters and it was still overcrowded.

Guess stuck with youtube videos to learn better...which where I am one 30 minute video takes 2 real life hours to watch. Every 15 minutes is one hour (on average) to watch where I am using the internet. But there are no better walkthroughs on the game besides youtube. But I like starting off conventional a lot more anyway which is what quill18 started on.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19255 on: November 26, 2018, 03:09:04 am »

Well, I wouldn't expect any new guides until the C# version is released, as the full overhaul of the UI and a lot of the mechanics will mean full new guides will be needed anyway.

The good news is that Steve is (slowly) playing his first test campaign on the new version.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19256 on: November 26, 2018, 09:31:55 am »

It used to be that you would manually add crew space and get a warning if you didn't have enough. Now, there's a deployment time box in the top left of the design screen (measured in months, defaulting to 3) that you have to set, and the design will auto-fill crew space to last the required crew size for that length of time. There's also now a morale timer on ships which are not at a colony with a rec module or large enough population to support shore leave, which will begin to tick down after that deployment time is exceeded.

You'll see the design's total fuel capacity in the bottom stat block of the design screen, right next to the engine components, as well as readout of the maximum flight range that quantity of fuel will allow for that particular mix of engines.

FWIW there's nothing wrong with using SM mode to instant-research ship components while you're learning (so you don't have to constantly advance small ticks to research new ones every time you realize one is just a hair off from what you need), but you definitely need to learn the basic principles of ship design yourself rather than following a guide made before any one of the several notable changes to how ship design works.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19257 on: November 27, 2018, 02:34:16 am »

It used to be that you would manually add crew space and get a warning if you didn't have enough. Now, there's a deployment time box in the top left of the design screen (measured in months, defaulting to 3) that you have to set, and the design will auto-fill crew space to last the required crew size for that length of time. There's also now a morale timer on ships which are not at a colony with a rec module or large enough population to support shore leave, which will begin to tick down after that deployment time is exceeded.

You'll see the design's total fuel capacity in the bottom stat block of the design screen, right next to the engine components, as well as readout of the maximum flight range that quantity of fuel will allow for that particular mix of engines.

FWIW there's nothing wrong with using SM mode to instant-research ship components while you're learning (so you don't have to constantly advance small ticks to research new ones every time you realize one is just a hair off from what you need), but you definitely need to learn the basic principles of ship design yourself rather than following a guide made before any one of the several notable changes to how ship design works.

Thanks for the info :) That helps a lot

Hardest road block is starting over and over cause the game keeps giving me junk RNG systems. 3 times in a row earth had only 900 of that fuel resource so I dunno how I'd be able to progress that. then my newest game jupiter had 0 fuel at all so wasn't even listed, and saturn only had 20 million which is really bad. (update: and now jupiter has 0 again, and saturn has 50k rofl). 16 retries in a row and each have been junk. I have the worst RNG in this game (update 3...its really been 19 times now of starting over and over... now saturn has none, and jupiter has 100k.)

Somehow quill18 got the best system that I have yet to see and I can't even get half as close to what he got lol.

I think since 19 times in a row jupiter/saturn either have NOTHING or a measly 100k (except once it had 20 million wooo...when it should be over 100 million) and all the other planets equally bad. Gonna cheat and set survey to all system at start of the game and start advanced, cause this is annoying. At least wont waste my time making ships that find junk. How did quill18 get such a great system, and 19 times in a row, earth either has 100s or low 1000s fuel AND jupiter/saturn have a pathetic amount of fuel...worst RNG ever rofl
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 03:14:01 am by Trolldefender99 »

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19258 on: November 27, 2018, 03:16:14 am »

Well I don't want to cheat cause that ruins games for me. So I just removed the game cause thats BS. Why is the game giving me the worst systems possible. 19 times and all I get is a junk earth, junk everything and the gas planets don't even have a good amount of fuel. I don't think the game wants me to play lol. I don't mind having an AVERAGE system, even though quill got an epic one somehow. But the game is literally giving me junk. And I want to start with the conventional start, not the have everything start. But 19 times and everything is junk? That is super annoying for me...not even an average system...just literal 19 times in a row junk systems.

And I think its been more than 19 times. That is just when I started keeping track. All day now I've been trying to play the game and can't progress cause the gas planets keep having too bad fuel source and all the planets are junk, and I keep getting nothing that is even average...like is the game programmed to 99% give you junk systems or something and quill18 got 1% lucky? Cause its weird jupiter or saturn 17 times has NOTHING, and less than millions of fuel. And the one time one of them had 20 million it was .1 accessible rofl.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 03:27:56 am by Trolldefender99 »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #19259 on: November 27, 2018, 04:20:37 am »

I know it doesn't help but aurora is not really really a game, it's a narrative device.

anyway, you can spam geo team on near asteroids, that'll find you something to get you into other systems.

also: drop lot of people to die on mars until they produce enough infrastructure to get the civilian going, once you surveyed enough asteroid dump some cash on civilians and buy all the stuff from their mines.
Pages: 1 ... 1282 1283 [1284] 1285 1286 ... 1346