Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1287 1288 [1289] 1290 1291 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2672528 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19320 on: November 04, 2019, 07:45:25 pm »

It's been ages since I've played, but I don't think you need to design transport ships for your survey teams unless you want to 'roleplay' a bit. You can simply create a colony where you want to survey, do the survey, and then recall them and disband the colony if you don't want it. Also, I seem to remember there being an optimal time to do those surveys, but I can't remember what it is unfortunately.

I just tried this. It does seem a bit cheaty, but at the same time they detected 100k Uridium(now it's 1.2 million) and raised its accessibility to 1.0(from 0.1).

Just as well I guess. The shuttle I was trying to build? I've gotten down to 400 tons, below the 500t limit for fighters, but it's not appearing in the fighter factory. Do I need to research fighter engines first? Its current design uses a FAC engine. I'd rather not have to build/retool a shipyard for something like this.

The only thing I've seen about an "optimal time" to send a survey team is on bodies that already have something with already-high accessibility. Any bonuses they find on a crappy rock probably aren't going to make it worth it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19321 on: November 04, 2019, 08:29:01 pm »

The shuttle I was trying to build? I've gotten down to 400 tons, below the 500t limit for fighters, but it's not appearing in the fighter factory. Do I need to research fighter engines first? Its current design uses a FAC engine. I'd rather not have to build/retool a shipyard for something like this.

If it's below 500 tons, it should be classified as a fighter... Do you actually have fighter factories to build it with?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19322 on: November 04, 2019, 09:06:52 pm »

I have fighter factories.

Here's the ship in question:
Code: [Select]
Agincourt class Shuttle    350 tons     33 Crew     55.2 BP      TCS 7  TH 90  EM 0
17142 km/s     Armour 1-4     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0
Maint Life 14.89 Years     MSP 49    AFR 1%    IFR 0%    1YR 0    5YR 6    Max Repair 38 MSP

GB Ion Engine E80 (1)    Power 120    Fuel Use 800%    Signature 90    Armour 0    Exp 15%
Fuel Capacity 10,000 Litres    Range 6.4 billion km   (4 days at full power)

Also tried to colony-spawn a geo-survey team onto Oberon(a moon of Neptune), which had great deposits of Duranium. They've been there for at about two years now, and haven't reported back with anything.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19323 on: November 04, 2019, 10:18:33 pm »

I have fighter factories.

Here's the ship in question:
Code: [Select]
Agincourt class Shuttle    350 tons     33 Crew     55.2 BP      TCS 7  TH 90  EM 0
17142 km/s     Armour 1-4     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0
Maint Life 14.89 Years     MSP 49    AFR 1%    IFR 0%    1YR 0    5YR 6    Max Repair 38 MSP

GB Ion Engine E80 (1)    Power 120    Fuel Use 800%    Signature 90    Armour 0    Exp 15%
Fuel Capacity 10,000 Litres    Range 6.4 billion km   (4 days at full power)

Odd... That seems like it SHOULD be buildable. Is it marked as Obsolete by mistake? In the top right of the ship design menu whenever you select the Agincourt, is the Obsolete box checked? That may prevent it from showing up in the Build Fighters menu.

Also tried to colony-spawn a geo-survey team onto Oberon(a moon of Neptune), which had great deposits of Duranium. They've been there for at about two years now, and haven't reported back with anything.

It can take them some time depending on the size of the body. Give them a bit, and if nothing happens after a few more years recall them and try setting up the team again. Make sure none of the team members have died, else the team may be "understaffed" so to speak.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19324 on: November 04, 2019, 11:32:11 pm »

Just in case you didn't know, fighter are created under the industry tab, not at a shipyard. Click the drop-down named 'installations' and change it to 'fighters' and you should see your fighter.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19325 on: November 05, 2019, 05:29:45 am »

Just in case you didn't know, fighter are created under the industry tab, not at a shipyard. Click the drop-down named 'installations' and change it to 'fighters' and you should see your fighter.

That is the problem, it's NOT showing up under industry, but it IS showing up on the shipyard.

EDIT: Turns out you *do* need a fighter engine for it to be marked as a fighter, regardless of size.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 06:17:24 am by Akura »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19326 on: November 05, 2019, 02:02:03 pm »

Pretty sure you'd want a fighter engine anyway - I'm almost certain that, at the same size, they're more efficient then a similarly-sized regular engine.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19327 on: November 05, 2019, 04:01:44 pm »

"Fighter engine"? I'm not sure if that's a thing in the game. I'm almost certain that as long as the overall fighter design is below 500 tons, you should be able to build it in the industry tab. At least, that's how it's been in my game.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19328 on: November 05, 2019, 04:04:12 pm »

It used to be a thing though; Are you using version 7.1 Akura?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19329 on: November 05, 2019, 05:32:37 pm »

I just opened it up to check and no, I've realized I've been playing version 5.54 this entire time. Wow.

That... might explain a few things.

EDIT: Updated it to 7.1, lost my saves. Well, shit.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 05:39:06 pm by Akura »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19330 on: November 05, 2019, 06:37:21 pm »

Yep. Saves, like almost everything in the game, are stored in the backing Access database. Any updates that change the database will clear saves.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19331 on: November 05, 2019, 06:50:08 pm »

That happened to me when I first started Aurora.

I just took it that the 1st game was like a tutorial/learning game :) Made losing the save easier to handle for my brain, plus did better the next go around anyway

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19332 on: November 05, 2019, 08:20:53 pm »

That happened to me when I first started Aurora.

I just took it that the 1st game was like a tutorial/learning game :) Made losing the save easier to handle for my brain, plus did better the next go around anyway

I'm seeing it the same way. Round 3 is going much better. Plus, the previous round in the older version, minerals were much rarer. Like, the only planets that had minerals were Earth, Mars, and Saturn, plus a handful of moons. A small number of asteroids had minimal amounts of resources, barely enough to build mines for them. Here, I've completed surveys of all the planets/moons except Neptune, Uranus, and all the inner worlds except Mars' moons Phobos and Deimos had minerals. And they were in amounts about 50x what I saw before. Jupiter has over 266 million Sorium.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19333 on: November 06, 2019, 04:57:40 am »

At what accessability? If it is too low it is not worth exploiting unless you are really desperate.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19334 on: November 06, 2019, 05:45:11 am »

It varies. Jupiter's Sorium is at 0.4, but that's the highest I've seen except for Europa which has just short of a million at 0.9.
Pages: 1 ... 1287 1288 [1289] 1290 1291 ... 1346