Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1291 1292 [1293] 1294 1295 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2672345 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19380 on: November 16, 2019, 08:25:33 pm »

You really, really want to look at the Event Log after every time you advance the clock. Your frigate probably ran out of maintenance supplies (if they're not orbiting Earth or another production planet, they won't get stocked, and sometimes you'll think they're safely there but they aren't) and suffered a critical system failure that destroyed it. Monitoring the event log gives you warning about things like that.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19381 on: November 17, 2019, 07:53:42 am »

I did check the log, except so much time must have happened that it no longer appeared in the log. And unless the ship died during a training session, it could not have been a maintenance failure in port. I did pay attention to the event log popups for ship maintenance failures, but it's entirely possible I missed something, for example during the bi-annual officer shuffle.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19382 on: November 17, 2019, 08:14:40 am »

I did check the log, except so much time must have happened that it no longer appeared in the log. And unless the ship died during a training session, it could not have been a maintenance failure in port. I did pay attention to the event log popups for ship maintenance failures, but it's entirely possible I missed something, for example during the bi-annual officer shuffle.

And does the port in question have the maintenance capacity for a ship that size? Also a ship can sometimes not be were the task group is and thus not be in port when the others are, and I have had situations where the immobile PDCs managed to move around (slowly) and thus not be where they should be.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19383 on: November 17, 2019, 09:42:54 am »

Game started with about 16,000 ton capacity, each frigate is 4,950t. At this point it barely matters, they're cheap enough I can replace them easily. I'm just waiting for the fuel economy to pick up and some research to finish up before expanding to a full-sized battle fleet.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19384 on: November 17, 2019, 11:44:43 am »

Are you mass-producing missiles or something? The ship design you posted earlier had decently efficient engines, so it seems odd for you to be having a fuel crunch at this stage.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19385 on: November 17, 2019, 01:52:01 pm »

Not exactly a fuel crunch, but a sorium crunch. I still have about 150 million liters stockpiled, but I had been running training sessions until the ships were at 50% fuel - each has a fuel capacity of 500k, so 250k*12 ships is ~4 million every half-year or so. Right now, after some research, I can produce 12 million a year, costing over 6000 tons of sorium. I'm pretty certain I'm not mining that much, and the only body I've colonized with actual people that has sorium is Mars with ~2 million at 0.1 accessibility. That's mainly why I'm putting so much effort into Europa: aside from being a good fuel drop-off from Jupiter, it has 900k sorium at 0.8.

The only other place in Sol that has decent sorium deposits is Uranus' moon Ariel, which is already taken by the civilian sector.

EDIT: Europa is finished terraforming. Colony cost is zero, and the first wave of colonists from Earth and an overpopulated Mars are coming in. No infrastructure was placed. I can only assume the slogan for our colonist corps is "It's free real estate." I mean, it's a shit atmosphere, 0.99atm of CO2, 0.11atm of oxygen sounds like a pile of lung cancer, but apparently it works.

Lalande 21185-A II one jump over should be trivial to terraform. It already has an acceptable temperature and a thin N/O atmosphere I can work with.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 07:20:00 pm by Akura »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19386 on: November 21, 2019, 02:06:37 pm »

Hey do you guys play with AI empires or just RP to yourself???
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19387 on: November 21, 2019, 03:54:57 pm »

Lung cancer, no. Immediate carbon dioxide poisoning and rapid death, yes.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19388 on: November 21, 2019, 11:01:57 pm »

To elaborate, what are people's typical playstyles? How do you 'have fun 'in Aurora?

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19389 on: November 22, 2019, 12:23:05 am »

To elaborate, what are people's typical playstyles? How do you 'have fun 'in Aurora?

I typically RP to myself. I write up a doc detailing my own personal rules on empire generation, the entire game has a set theme (Magic, Shipgirls, Ships are Monsters, etc) and the empires would reflect that. Then I have seperate sections on that doc detailing how each empire operates, their goals, their ship/weapon types, their focuses, etc.

Other then that, I try to GM for multiplayer aurora sessions over discord so that people can play together.
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19390 on: November 22, 2019, 10:33:41 am »

Recently, I've been getting my fun vicariously, by reading Steve's test campaign and (in)patiently waiting for C# Aurora to come out.

Previously, I tend to play The Generic Human Empire©, explorers of the infinite night, colonizers of new worlds, and eradicators of the xenos scum.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19391 on: November 22, 2019, 04:03:38 pm »

Last few times I sat down and played, I put multiple NPRs in Sol to make the early game more.interesting. I wound up exterminating them because the interrupts combined with slow turn resolution got too annoying, but it would be tolerable if time advancement was as fast as Steve says C# is doing.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19392 on: November 25, 2019, 09:36:35 pm »

Been working on a fighter design as part as an eventual plan for a carrier.

Code: [Select]
River class Interceptor    232 tons     2 Crew     66.7 BP      TCS 4.64  TH 12.6  EM 0
7758 km/s     Armour 1-3     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0.6
Maint Life 0 Years     MSP 0    AFR 46%    IFR 0.6%    1YR 4    5YR 54    Max Repair 16 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 0.1 months    Spare Berths 2   

18 EP Ion Micro Drive (2)    Power 18    Fuel Use 163.69%    Signature 6.3    Exp 15%
Fuel Capacity 5,000 Litres    Range 2.4 billion km   (3 days at full power)

Gauss Cannon R2-10 (Fighter) (1x3)    Range 20,000km     TS: 7758 km/s     Accuracy Modifier 10%     RM 2    ROF 5        1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Fire Control S00.5 24-3000 H50 (FTR) (1)    Max Range: 48,000 km   TS: 12000 km/s     79 58 38 17 0 0 0 0 0 0

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and maintenance purposes

The intent for this one is for a cheap-ish, fast interceptor meant to engage enemy fighters/bombers, possibly attack enemy FACs if it's weak enough and if they have the numbers for it. I don't know if it's suited for that role, though.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19393 on: November 26, 2019, 03:30:31 am »

To save a bit of weight you could scale down your fire control a bit, there is no need for 48k km range, depending on the base speed you could also lower the tracking speed, as that is determined by the speed of the fighter as well.
Gauss fighters can add a layer of missile defence as well. They might not hit often, but it only costs you some fuel to keep them outside while you are weathering the missile salvos.

If you have enough of them they should work fine against FACs (as long as those aren't faster) and crippled ships you don't want to waste any more missiles on.
For general purpose attack fighters I prefer lasers, but as finishers and for anti-missile work I have used gauss ones as well.

The meanest thing you can do with them is to use box launchers to bring missiles with a heavier payload closer to the enemy. They can usually fire before the enemy can detect/shoot them so you can attack with impunity.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19394 on: November 26, 2019, 06:08:45 am »

I don't know the actual numbers, but a higher FC range should increase accuracy even if the FC's range is higher than the weapon's. Quoth the wiki: "The accuracy of the FC drops linearly over its range, thus a FC with more range than the weapon it controls is still useful. For tracking speed however the lower of value of the FC and the weapon is used."

As for reducing the tracking speed, it wouldn't reduce the size without reducing tracking speed below the fighter's speed. It could reduce the costs, but only slightly.

I haven't researched boxes yet. I probably should get on that at some point.
Pages: 1 ... 1291 1292 [1293] 1294 1295 ... 1346