Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1335 1336 [1337] 1338 1339 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2672530 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #20040 on: September 08, 2020, 05:25:27 pm »

Well as much as I like this game in concept and play...

The UI is just too much of a slag. Cant handle it. I feel like I am fiddling with window sizes, and misclicking things. I even went and tried to play with two monitors to see if that would help with things... but no. It just makes it a slog in other ways. Ah well. Maybe try again when I get a laptop with a bigger screen.
You playing C# or VB6?
I gotta say, one thing i really liked about VB6 over C# was that the interface was so much more clear... C# suffers from having lots of barely-marked or unmarked fields, and very few visuals to help guide the eyes to figure out what you're looking at.
The graphical mods help, but it's really a far cry from VB6's UI, funny as that sounds. Perhaps we took it VB6's UI granted.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #20041 on: September 09, 2020, 07:06:05 am »

I've been wholly out of the loop these weeks, but always wanted to work with a simulator with these mechanics (or at least with the options available). Wondering if the C# release is...okay? I was told months back that it's been in development and to wait for that instead of the prior one. Sorry for not checking x_x the search function seems to have issues.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20042 on: September 09, 2020, 08:26:31 am »

I've been wholly out of the loop these weeks, but always wanted to work with a simulator with these mechanics (or at least with the options available). Wondering if the C# release is...okay? I was told months back that it's been in development and to wait for that instead of the prior one. Sorry for not checking x_x the search function seems to have issues.

It's playable, but you might find yourself getting burnt out--I did pretty quick.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20043 on: September 09, 2020, 08:42:00 am »

The main problem that I had was that, at least in the early release, the versions were coming out crazy fast - like on average every couple of days. Which is great... except that most of the versions broke save compatibility.

It's slowed down very significantly since then, and the current version has removed all the real show-stopper bugs; but I switched to other games after restarting my empire for the fifth or sixth time.

Personally, I'm waiting for 1.12 to start up a new game - it looks like it's got some nice QoL improvements. Should be coming out in the next couple weeks or so.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20044 on: September 11, 2020, 04:24:12 am »

Personally, I'm waiting for 1.12 to start up a new game - it looks like it's got some nice QoL improvements. Should be coming out in the next couple weeks or so.

Ditto. They happened so fast... I decided to just wait for 1.12. Did not expect it to take so long and now I keep thinking that as soon as I start a game and get invested... boom new version will release.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #20045 on: September 11, 2020, 07:53:39 am »

Ditto. They happened so fast... I decided to just wait for 1.12. Did not expect it to take so long and now I keep thinking that as soon as I start a game and get invested... boom new version will release.
I'm heartened to know I'm not the only one feeling this way.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20046 on: September 11, 2020, 11:14:21 am »

I'm heartened to know I'm not the only one feeling this way.

Even now, I'm thinking: "Hey, I should start up a new game, so they'll release 1.12 within hours of my starting it."

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20047 on: September 11, 2020, 05:44:01 pm »

I'm fine playing the current version if it's a mostly stable release.  I find out any major bugs before I start and then play around them.

Since most major bugs in the past prevented/hindered a long game it allowed me to play a bunch of different play-styles. 

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20048 on: October 11, 2020, 03:57:02 pm »

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #20049 on: October 12, 2020, 06:12:32 pm »

c# UX is, if possible, even worse than before

especially the fire control assignment is madness, but also the way you now have to switch tree to add or remove components is severely worse than VB

and the only convenience feature we had before, the turn buttons on the empire screen, for removed as well
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 06:16:21 pm by LoSboccacc »

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20050 on: October 12, 2020, 06:44:46 pm »

I still dont really understand new ground units, their HQ and logistic capacities, and just designing formations in general.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20051 on: October 12, 2020, 07:12:03 pm »

but also the way you now have to switch tree to add or remove components is severely worse than VB

Use the "wide view" button to eliminate this issue.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20052 on: October 12, 2020, 08:24:51 pm »

I do wish that setting is on by default though; or at least either toggling on by default or the game remembering you using wide view the next time you open the game.

I still dont really understand new ground units, their HQ and logistic capacities, and just designing formations in general.

A formation is much like a fleet, actually. It's a collection of units, each unit based on a class design, led by a ground force officer. Much like a fleet is a collection of ships, each ship based on a ship class design, and led by a fleet officer.

I don't exactly know what HQ capacity is used for, but this is how it's assigned: A unit is designed with an HQ component, which is then given a value. A formation needs to have HQ units assigned whose total HQ capacity is equal or greater than the total tonnage of the entire formation's units as well as the tonnage of any subordinate formations(ie you can have a divisional headquarters, with several battalion formations under it) - this is the same tonnage that is required for transport ships to carry them. Do note that HQ units also have to have capacity to accommodate themselves.

Logistics components provide Ground Supply Points(GSP); it's ammo basically. A unit's consumption of GSP is based is a total of it's weapons' total GSP use. The formula per weapon is its Penetration * Damage * Shots - example: the Medium Anti-Vehicle weapon has a Penetation of 4, Damage of 6, and one Shot per round, so it has a GSP use of 24. If a unit is given supplies, it can fire for 10 combat rounds(one round every 3 hours) before it attempts to consume GSP again. If there isn't enough GSP to resupply the formation, then only 25% of the units in a formation will fire in a combat round. If the formation is part of a hierarchy of formations(such as the divisional headquarters example above), a formation will attempt to take GSP from the highest formation in the hierarchy before moving down the list until it reaches itself.

I don't have any actual combat experience, so I can't tell you how that part works.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20053 on: October 13, 2020, 01:14:13 am »

HQ capacity is used as a modifier for the effectivness of the unit, and the ability of parent units to support child formations.

Let's start at the base: You have an infantry company with a HQ capacity of 1000. That means that it will operate at 100% effectiveness when the units assigned to the company total 1000t or less. If you add extra units over 1000t, it will start operating less effectively.

The second example is you have a battalion formation with a HQ capacity of 5000t and a weight of 500t. This means that the battalion has 4,500t of management capacity left over. You can assign four of the companies from the first example to the battalion as subordinate formations without issues, and the battalion commander can add a percentage of his bonuses to the assigned companies. If you add a fifth company, then the formation as a whole will be over the battalion's ability to support, and the bonuses from the battalion commander will be reduced.

This example continues up the chain depending on how detailed you want your military to be - there's one mad lad on the aurora forums that creates templates down to the individual squad.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #20054 on: October 13, 2020, 09:06:35 am »

where's the fleet training maneuvers button now?

also, where's equalize fuel?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 10:47:11 am by LoSboccacc »
Pages: 1 ... 1335 1336 [1337] 1338 1339 ... 1346