Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1337 1338 [1339] 1340 1341 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2672547 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #20070 on: January 29, 2021, 02:49:47 pm »

Miscellaneous Components

v1.13 introduces a new category of ship modules, known as Miscellaneous Components. These have no game function and are entirely for roleplaying purposes (thanks to vorpal+5 for the idea).

You design the components on the Create Research Projects window by choosing a size (from 0.1 HS to 100) and giving the component a name. Cost is equal to size in HS and the mineral requirements are split between Duranium and Mercassium. The HTK is equal to the square root of the size.

Hm, do these component still count as components for damage absorption purposes?  So, if my warship contained 20 volumes of the Galactic Encyclopedia each at 0.1 HS, would they potentially absorb hits that would otherwise to my engines, fuel, or missiles?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20071 on: January 29, 2021, 02:56:40 pm »

Presumably so, since he mentioned the HTK. He also said the HTK is equal to the square root of the size so to get 1 HTK you'd need a size of at least 1, I'd guess?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #20072 on: February 01, 2021, 11:56:14 pm »

Presumably so, since he mentioned the HTK. He also said the HTK is equal to the square root of the size so to get 1 HTK you'd need a size of at least 1, I'd guess?
Which also would mean that sub-size 1 components would be HTK 0, which means hits against them will rip right through them/a stack of them instantly and reroll on something else.
They'd also make your ship weaker in general, because if they take up space on the DAC chart, that's more space on the DAC taken up by zero health components, which means less overall resilience to structure-break kill (when damage fails to hit a living component after 20 consecutive rerolls caused by hits against already destroyed components.)
Size 1 would be much more robust, but what is way more robust outright would be armored size 1 magazines, if you're looking for really bulky armor internals.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20073 on: February 02, 2021, 05:34:18 pm »

Except that magazines can blow up, so no thank you there.  Although you might be proposing empty armored magazines, as I think they only blow up if they're loaded.  And if you plan it right, you can have all your armored magazines emptied before the enemy missiles hit.  That explains why my missile fighters outlived my beam fighters: They had armor, and a similar number of components that were empty.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #20074 on: February 02, 2021, 11:12:42 pm »

Except that magazines can blow up, so no thank you there.  Although you might be proposing empty armored magazines, as I think they only blow up if they're loaded.  And if you plan it right, you can have all your armored magazines emptied before the enemy missiles hit.  That explains why my missile fighters outlived my beam fighters: They had armor, and a similar number of components that were empty.
You can also run empty magazines that aren't meant to be feeding any weapons at all. From a purely mass and cost standpoint, magazines are the best at dedicated DAC padding versus any other component, even ignoring all other features.
Another thing you could do is use them exclusively for transporting buoys and similar non-explosive payloads, or use them as tenders for longer range missile ships before peeling out from the launcher-wielding formation and engaging after they've used their missiles and began retreating

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20075 on: September 30, 2021, 04:31:02 pm »

Lately it seems that fewer people discuss this game, both here and elsewhere...    is Aurora  undergoing a strange death? 

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20076 on: September 30, 2021, 04:37:46 pm »

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm waiting until v1.14 v2.0 to pick it up again. I noticed a lot of concerning bug reports for v1.13 so I'm skipping it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20077 on: September 30, 2021, 04:40:33 pm »

The new enemy in the form of the Dark Eldar in 2.0 sounds like it'll add a lot to the game as well - gives a good reason for defensive ships and bases behind the front lines.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #20078 on: October 01, 2021, 12:22:32 am »

Lately it seems that fewer people discuss this game, both here and elsewhere...    is Aurora  undergoing a strange death?

for me it's in a loop of current version being bugged and next version will have so many great features

plus the performance gain of the rewrite never really materialize.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20079 on: October 01, 2021, 04:01:23 am »

Got sick of the hacky workarounds to get it to run on linux.  Over time it has got worse rather than better.  Maybe I'll return to headdesking, screenshouting territory when a long term stable release comes about... or maybe not...

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20080 on: October 01, 2021, 04:14:33 am »

I got sick of it falling apart because my system likes to use the wrong decimal point.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20081 on: October 01, 2021, 06:48:57 am »

I've certainly thought about booting up Aurora a lot in the past few months, but generally haven't gotten around to it.  Other things have caught my interest.

I did fiddle with it a while back.

I was working on a game start with one big ship created with ship design points.  Kinda ran out of things to make it "bigger".
What I have so far:
Code: [Select]
Albatross class Battlestar      168,017 tons       2,073 Crew       6,829.7 BP       TCS 3,360    TH 11,200    EM 2,400
3333 km/s      Armour 5-271       Shields 80-333       HTK 490      Sensors 4/4/1/1      DCR 33      PPV 106.6
Maint Life 0.34 Years     MSP 3,084    AFR 9819%    IFR 136.4%    1YR 9,123    5YR 136,851    Max Repair 300 MSP
Captain    Control Rating 2   BRG   FLG   DIP   
Intended Deployment Time: 14 months    Morale Check Required   

Commercial Nuclear Pulse Engine  EP400.0 (28)    Power 11200    Fuel Use 3.91%    Signature 400    Explosion 5%
Fuel Capacity 650,000 Litres    Range 17.8 billion km (61 days at full power)
Beta S20 / R333 Shields (4)     Recharge Time 333 seconds (0.2 per second)

Single 12cm C2 Visible Light Laser Turret (20x1)    Range 80,000km     TS: 10000 km/s     Power 4-2     RM 20,000 km    ROF 10       
Beam Fire Control R80-TS8000 (4)     Max Range: 80,000 km   TS: 8,000 km/s     88 75 62 50 38 25 12 0 0 0
Pebble Bed Reactor R8 (5)     Total Power Output 41.9    Exp 5%

Active Search Sensor AS19-R100 (1)     GPS 1100     Range 19.4m km    Resolution 100
EM Sensor EM0.9-4.5 (2)     Sensitivity 4.5     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  16.8m km
Thermal Sensor TH0.9-4.5 (2)     Sensitivity 4.5     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  16.8m km
Geological Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour
Gravitational Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a c for auto-assignment purposes

Any advice on how to make it "bigger"?
EDIT: Fixed for readability, hopefully.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20082 on: October 02, 2021, 08:02:15 am »

Does genetic engineering work yet or has that not been fixed?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20083 on: October 02, 2021, 03:34:08 pm »

Does genetic engineering work yet or has that not been fixed?

I don't believe so, but I think I saw some posts by Steve musing over how to implement it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any advice on how to make it "bigger"?

Oof, code tags in spoiler tags are not fun to read on these forums, unless you put it in a quote and preview it, which is what I did to read it.

Honestly though, that's not a very good design. Granted, it has been awhile since I've played. Far too little maintenance life, and it looks like you have either no or nowhere near enough engineering spaces, so you're going to be hemorrhaging MSPs the entire time. Very little fuel range, probably just enough to steam from Earth to Neptune and back. The deployment time is actually too long since it's going to have to overhaul regularly anyway. Its size and thermal signature means it's going to be the main target of any attack, but the laser turret design is poor for missile interception if that's even the intent. Given the maintenance life and fuel range, you'd be better served adding more than just one point of survey sensors. It also looks like you've put two each of EM and Thermal sensors, which has no benefit.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20084 on: October 02, 2021, 04:00:44 pm »

As for the laser turret design, its a matter of running out of free research points, so the turret itself is literally all I got.

As for the rest, good points.
Pages: 1 ... 1337 1338 [1339] 1340 1341 ... 1346