Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2672856 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 11:22:53 am »

I'm gonna try this...eventhough I also got lost in even VGAplanets4.
Turns out I'll be staying home today after all, with a cold.

It wanted to replace o shitload of dll's for older versions...told it NO in all cases. Should be OK. :)

It says in the wiki to set your screen to resolution of at least 1280x1024... this results in a display twice my screen...damn.

edity: oops! accidentally ran in 1024x900 and get an error 3625, generated by DAO fields: item not found in this collection.
ah that was after not being able to close an unexpected parameter error.

suck.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 11:40:21 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 11:39:14 am »

It wanted to replace o shitload of dll's for older versions...told it NO in all cases. Should be OK. :)

I told it no to all too, but i think the question was worded wrong and clicking "no to all" actually overwrote all my pre-existing DLLs and stuff.... Now all my context menus have changed colour :(

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 11:42:16 am »

ah yeah.
I meant I told it NO by selecting 'Yes, keep own file' on each.

doesn't run though.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 11:47:52 am »

I told it no to all too, but i think the question was worded wrong and clicking "no to all" actually overwrote all my pre-existing DLLs and stuff.... Now all my context menus have changed colour :(
I think you can fix that by going into your desktop properties and switching appearence to classic and back to XP (or whatever you use).

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 11:58:16 am »

I'll reboot my computer and see if that fixes the bug, maybe it did finalize the installation process or somesuch....

edit: nope. still recieving the 3061 error from the DAO database: too few parameters, expecting 2 .

failing that, do you advice reinstalling and letting it replace my systemfiles with it's older versions?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:20:30 pm by Areyar »

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 12:08:07 pm »

I think you need to hit "Yes", actually, to keep your current version of the files (the question was, I believe, "Do you want to keep these more recent files?"), but my Firefox menus were differently-colored, too, until I restarted my computer.  It was probably the installer.

Anyway, interesting so far spent three hours last night going through the tutorial (there's a more complete one in the forums called "4.77 Tutorial" in The Academy) and now I think I know the bare basics of the game.  Now to see if I can actually PLAY the damn thing.  ;)

Crash5936

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 12:09:21 pm »

This looks really interesting, but I'm not entirely sure, if I will be able to even START the game. The installation is... well... what the hell do I need a 360desktop for?
Anyway, I will try to do something with it...
And when I'm trying to advance with the tutorial... "New" button doesn't expand the window into a larger one as expected... so I guess I've got the installation wrong or something. Heeelp :-D

Jookia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 12:11:56 pm »

It's too in-depth. This is a simulator. Games are fun.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2010, 12:14:34 pm »

This looks really interesting, but I'm not entirely sure, if I will be able to even START the game. The installation is... well... what the hell do I need a 360desktop for?
And when I'm trying to advance with the tutorial... "New" button doesn't expand the window into a larger one as expected... so I guess I've got the installation wrong or something. Heeelp :-D

I also have this problem.  I tried it without replacing the files and I tried it with replacing the files.

Also, when I patch it it won't start.  I also don't see this mysterious installation forum someone in the thread brought up, even though I've registered.
Shoes...

Crash5936

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2010, 12:17:34 pm »

Also, when I patch it it won't start.  I also don't see this mysterious installation forum someone in the thread brought up, even though I've registered.
Exactly... I was looking for the installation forum too...
Well, I usually am a patient man, but this game just seems to be written so shitty, though the systems may be awesome...
When I've managed to bring up the solar map, it was so incredibly laggy, that I'll probably stick to DF... too bad, I was kinda looking forward to this.
Edit: Well, I seem to have found the installation forums - http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?f=10
Not much help there for me though. It seems the game does really require a PC which I would call a supercomputer.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:19:27 pm by Crash5936 »

Jookia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 12:19:13 pm »

Rocket scientests can't even figure this **** out.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 12:23:49 pm »

Ah. I patched to 477 from the wiki 475 version too.
That may be the reason it wont even show me a menu.
Still.
kindof a bootstrap quality of coding it seems. :(

edit: I reinstalled. But now notice that the 4.75update archive is not extracted by the installer...this might be interesting information for the installation manual.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:55:48 pm by Areyar »

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 12:59:43 pm »

Arggh this is confusing.

How do i end a turn? do i just advance time in the F2 window, or is there a specific end turn button lurking around?

Also: when designing ships, is there any way to see what components do? I can work out the difference between a gravitational and geological sensor, but whats the difference between a 300, 375, and 600 military jump drive? I've had a skim over the wiki but its a pretty dense read.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 01:16:30 pm »

You have to advance time - there's no "end turn" button.  You can also do it from the system map (F3).

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 01:18:07 pm »

I'm pretty sure I just installed the 475 version.  But aside from taking 10 minutes to figure out how to actually start the game, as soon as I tried to open the system map window, it tried to crash or something.  Point being, holy crap sloppy design problems.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 1346