Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2672649 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 01:54:47 pm »

Holy **** This looks complicated. I'm trying it anyway :D

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 02:24:09 pm »

Mind-boggling. I can't even figure out how to load population onto a ship. The wiki doesn't say, so can someone help me out?

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2010, 02:26:47 pm »

Mind-boggling. I can't even figure out how to load population onto a ship. The wiki doesn't say, so can someone help me out?

If you goto task groups (f12) in the top left you can select the task group, so cargo or colony is what you'd probobly want. then you can select the planet your population is at, and tell them to load it from there...

However, i cant seem to get my ships to actually do anything once ive told them to do this, they dont seem to want to move to mars, or enter mars orbit, or do any other the other things i say :(

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2010, 02:29:00 pm »

still recieving the 3061 error from the DAO database: too few parameters, expecting 2 .
I got that one too. the solution (for me at least) is counter-intuitive: don't install the 4.77 update. (also, it's possible that you have to dump all the files and folders from the archive that comes with your setup (AuroraUpdate475.zip) into your game folder...)

Your colony fleet (I think it's composed of freighters) will have the Load Colonists order (do that to earth). each ship can carry 50k colonists.
On a related note, how do you build anything on new colonies?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2010, 03:01:08 pm »

Okay, I installed this correctly. MANUALLY CLICK YES TO EVERYTHING TO NOT OVERRIDE MORE UPDATED FILES IN YOUR SYSTEM32. That was severely shitty wording in the install, and really ought to be fixed. I kept getting errors until I realized i didn't finish dragging all the files over into the Aurora folder.

So I installed it correctly and it runs, but now my my wifi keeps glitching out (only to this computer) since I installed. What the hell? None of the system32 files should have done anything to change how my internet connects right? I haven't had any trouble with my internet for the last 5ish months when an earthquake knocked it out for a bit.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2010, 03:04:56 pm »

Okay, I installed this correctly. MANUALLY CLICK YES TO EVERYTHING TO NOT OVERRIDE MORE UPDATED FILES IN YOUR SYSTEM32. That was severely shitty wording in the install, and really ought to be fixed. I kept getting errors until I realized i didn't finish dragging all the files over into the Aurora folder.

Yeah i tried to puzzle it out, then clicked no to all, assuming that (like any other install) leave all the original files, and realised straight away that I'd been bamboozled.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2010, 03:10:33 pm »

Have managed to understand some basics about the game. I have 3 colonies (yet nobody will live on Venus) and a slightly expanded cargo fleet. Researched some techs too. This looks to be alot like a space version of DF in many ways :D

Remember, if people are dying on your colonies you need infrastructure!  ;D

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2010, 03:14:12 pm »

I got it to work after I unpacked the 4.75update archive into the game directory, it also contains an exe that is about the same size as the one in the 4.77 update, so with the game files installed the 77update might work too.

Pretty shit I have to scroll across my screen to see the corners now, bit it seems to work.

I figure Ill just let the civvies do all the shiping, see how that works out. ;)
If I understand correctly you can set the size of time increments to jump and the game will interrupt if something interesting is about to occur.
Havent played yet, but there has to be an advancetime button somewhere.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2010, 03:19:40 pm »

Yeah, I just realized the 475 thing too.  Derp.  Now maybe I can do a bit of playing.
Shoes...

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2010, 03:21:32 pm »

I'm at the orders screen, but i can't figure out how to load the colonists onto my task group of mayflowers/colony ships. Any idea? I don't want a non-human mars colony.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2010, 03:24:27 pm »

Okay... time for the Neo-American Federation to FUCK YEAH the entire galaxy. Better be ready, precursors.
Picture spoilered.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2010, 03:24:50 pm »

So whats' the veredict, is it playable?

I'm leaving soon so I won't be able to play much, and it's too hot here (Brazilian Coast wins) so I'm not feeling like doing ANYTHING until night comes, not even playing a game.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2010, 03:28:17 pm »

Playing through the tutorials right now. I expected DF levels of "world" generation but new game only took about 30 seconds to generate 2000 systems on my computer.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2010, 03:28:57 pm »

That must be the most screwed up installer I've encountered since the MSDOS days. I do not like it when installers start copying files to system32, especially not on my shiny new windows 7 install. That it looks like it's escaped from 1996 doesn't help either.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2010, 03:35:49 pm »

I know that my dream game is a 4x game where you can build stuff.
It would be better if I had a character, and not control the game as a god/rts esque..
It's okay if it is 4X...no pro...
BUT

"NB: If you live in a country where the decimal separator is a comma, please change your regional settings to either UK or US (where the decimal separator is a period) when playing Aurora. "

I don't change anything in my computer to play anything, that's ridiculous, seriously.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 1346