Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobolds: Uncivilized Animals?  (Read 1256 times)

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kobolds: Uncivilized Animals?
« on: August 31, 2006, 11:21:00 pm »

I've been messing around with the various civilizations, adding [CIV_CONTROLABLE] and related tags to see how much of them already work in Dwarf mode. Goblins, it seems, work almost perfectly; the only issue being that the strings still refer to them as "Dwarves". (You even gain access to constructing different things, like bows and arrows. Interesting.)

Kobolds, however, have a serious issue. (I don't count "They point-buy copper weapons instead of iron", or "you need to add [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK]", or the like. Different starting materials is pretty cool, potentially, although some sort of digging item really is needed for any DF mode game.) The issue is: while Kobolds will do jobs set by starting them with points in those areas, the game apparently considers your Kobold underlings to be animals, thus giving the message "This animal can't work" if you try to change their jobs.

I just looked through the file "creature_standard.txt", and I believe I have found the problem: for whatever reason, kobolds are not flagged intelligent. I'll have to see if changing that will fix the problem.

(Note: I'm not complaining or asking for all other civilizations to work perfectly with dwarf mode; this is all just experimentation for my own sake. That said, if Toady does read this, you might want to add [INTELLIGENT] to kobolds.)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Kobolds: Uncivilized Animals?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 11:27:00 pm »

[INTELLIGENT] is a bit of a misnomer -- it lets them speak, form civs and learn.  Kobolds can't speak (they get utterances instead), although they can form civs and learn.  I think the game checks for the speaks flag sometimes instead of something else.  Now that creatures have associations to entities, it should probably check those instead of whether or not they can speak, and also some kind of notion as to whether or not they can integrate into your society, which is also not present at all right now.  In any case, in the regular game it's only used to distinguish your dwarves from their pets.

[ September 01, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 11:37:00 pm »

Ah, interesting, so it isn't a bug, it is a feature with unintended side-effects! ^^ Well, that is good to know.

That sounds like an interesting idea to check for if a creature can integrate with society; I wouldn't mind having non-Dwarves able to join our workforces. (Probably would take a noble and some treaties with other civilizations, though, knowing this game.)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 12:30:00 am »

Humans should probably get random head wounds trying to work in certain dwarven shops.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Bobberroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 01:12:00 am »

Oh man, I didn't know you could do stuff like this. I added [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] to [ENTITY:EVIL] (Goblins), then changed Goblins to GIANT. I then rampaged around (in adventure mode) as a giant naked death machine before I bled to death in a Elf town.