Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Mouse/hotkeys usage habits

Hot...keys? I have to stare at the list for hours to find what to build/designate.  I am still in babysteps and therefore don't get a real say here.
- 1 (0.4%)
Keyboard is slow and clunky, I hardly ever use it. I use the mouse whenever possible and if I cannot use it I make a new suggestions thread.
- 9 (3.7%)
I never touch the mouse, and even if I did it wouldn't make anything easier or faster. Keyboard4lyf!
- 116 (47.7%)
I use keyboard and mouse together in harmony. I also hug trees and eat dead bodies.
- 70 (28.8%)
I am too unique to fit into any of these foolish attempts at polling choices. Good day to you sir.
- 47 (19.3%)

Total Members Voted: 243

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: What is all the fuss about wanting to use the mouse?  (Read 7025 times)

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is all the fuss about wanting to use the mouse?
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2010, 08:07:44 pm »

I'm not sure what a mouse would accomplish for me. Right now I use either keyboard or Tweak+ForEachTile for designation.

I really couldn't live without that program. Being able to dig perfectly circular rooms, or to dig/ramp out entire mineral clusters and veins... That takes a huge priority over using a... mouse.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2010, 11:52:29 am »

OK, this thread went from an answer to BradB to requests to Toady One. I think it's a bit over the top :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2010, 06:13:33 pm »

One thing a mouse already accomplishes is to save a huge amount of time centering the cursor on a desired object. You can use the 10-space trick, but obviously it's not nearly as accurate.

Better mouse support would certainly be helpful in managing your military. It would be great to simply click on units under attack, or in the vicinity of hostiles, and immediately start issuing orders, rather than pausing the game and going through the tedious practice of looking each one up. 

Being able to click on objects to get information about them would also be superior to using the K and T keys, which can be confusing, even if you still had to manually tell the game exactly what on the square you wanted to look at. 

Unlike say choosing ASCII over 3D graphics, not having solid mouse support doesn't really add anything to the game. It's not a stylistic choice (DF isn't really a text-based game), it just isn't there, so improving it wouldn't cost anything other than the time spent to code it in, and it absolutely would save time for some players. The vast majority, I would guess.
For they would be your masters.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2010, 08:55:47 pm »

Better mouse support would certainly be helpful in managing your military.
Toady said all the new menus have mouse support, remember.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2010, 11:32:08 pm »

I operate completely without a mouse at home and at work on a regular basis. "Annoying and clunky" defines mouse navigation. If you watched me navigate windows without a mouse you would wonder to yourself how many cumulative hours of your life you've wasted navigating and clicking on things with a mouse. I'm not trying to sound like a superior asshole, I really am that fast. By the time you've clicked an icon or a button I'm 6 directories in, have started a program, opened a file, made changes, saved and quit. Would you rather be doing things as fast as you can think, or aiming a mouse at that tiny little minimize button? The mouse is a crutch, let it go.

All it takes is keyboard recognition, knowledge of the hotkeys and commands, and a little practice. I'm not that awesome, anyone can do it  ;D
Okay, seriously.
Playing DF shouldn't require memorizing 100 key combinations!
So no, people aren't going to let go of the mouse.

Simple(in this case) > fast.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2010, 11:52:20 pm »

Toady said all the new menus have mouse support, remember.

I know that, and you know that, but not everyone is convinced that it's a good thing, which is more what the thread is about than if we're getting the mouse at all.

The game uses the mouse now, and it's pretty much inevitable, in my opinion, that that support will continue to grow, even without any verification from ToadyOne.

The mouse is a useful tool. If there are people that want to only use the keyboard for everything, that's fine with me, and I hope support for the keyboard continues to grow, right along with the mouse. I hardly ever use the mouse in the game as it is, because the current interface between mouse and keyboard is so clunky, and because it's easier for me to digdraw with the keyboard than the mouse.
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]