Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: Near-Mountainous Mafia: End: KISS me goodbye.  (Read 34074 times)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: Near-Mountainous Mafia: End: KISS me goodbye.
« Reply #210 on: January 12, 2010, 03:03:22 am »

Reading "insists I'm scum" over and over again was funny.

Also, credit for my strat goes to Toony because that was a Toony Tunnel, pure and simple, with exactly the results I wanted.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 12, 2010, 03:12:18 am »

Janus: Really? Did you really need to tell me that?

Look I know I am a horrible player. Almost everybody in this board has called me out on it. But its not very often that I am right and can manage to convince some people. So that's what it was, half patting myself on the back and half joking.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 12, 2010, 07:42:53 am »

Ok, Alexhans, come down here.  You said we'd never win a mountainous game, and we even lynched the doc day one to make sure it'd be mountainous afterwards :P.

Good work, town, and valiant effort from Vector at the end (the fact of the matter was that I would've been fine with ending the day before you replaced in, but nevermind).  Bay 12 daygame can sometimes work ;D.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 12, 2010, 09:48:07 am »

@Janus

It wasn't so much your activity but the way you used that activity;  A scan...

Leaf caught your first scumtell: Your quick unvoting on your randomvote was ok but you second vote (the eduren one) was too soft.  Your scumlist was simply full of lurkers for the most part.  Dort was the exception but instead of pushing on him with a vote or attack (or explaining 'odd reasoning' you went after a lurker.  Lurker hunting isn't always scummy, but it left you open for a first attack by Leaf.

You then attack Leaf.  The OMGUSness wasn't an issue since you already had him FOSed, but leaf does have a point: that attack was pretty good.  That's the problem: if you had that reasoning from the start you should've focused on Leaf from the start instead of throwing out a 'lurker scumlist'.  Now that leaf already started the attack, your counter was just reactionary.

Then came "I'm doing one for everyone.  You just bumped yourself to first because of your response."

Reactionary, and it turns your entire 'attack' into an attempt at a defense.  If you were just scanning everyone, it should've been done at the time of the 'scumlist'.  You also didn't give any response to Leaf's defense: did you agree to it?  If so why didn't you acknoledge it?  If not, then why aren't you gunning for him full out? 

By now you're looking like you're attemping a widescan: take everyone's posts and scan for bad actions and strike them all on it.  Widescans are pro-town.  However, your method of doing it messed you up since:

1. Your initial post about your widescan simply talked about lurkers.

2. Your deeper analysis and questions should've been in ONE post, not strung out over several.  It looks like you meant to just do that one scumlist and only started the heavy questions once Leafsnail prompted you. 

3. You're following Leafsnail's orders.  A BIG TIP: Townies will NEVER be happy when you do what they tell you to do.  Doing what they want you to do will make you look suspicious: more so than not doing it originally caused.

(so what DO you do?) Whatever you planned from the start.  If you planned on doing what they wanted before they said it then do it anyway and just know they'll complain HARD.  If you were planning to do something else, then do that.  Your goal is to make the townie believe that you were ALWAYS planning to do what you did originally.  If you change course because they fussed at you then you're going to get slaughtered.

Sidenote: You said you were being more aggressive later.  You actually WEREN'T.  You RVed but dropped it, then did a widescan, but didn't keep pushing on Leafsnail and allowed everyone else to ignore your questions (you struck hard on dorf and Web.. but didn't you notice they didn't reply to you?).  That's NOT aggressive.  That's just throwing out random accusations.  If leafsnail distracted you, then it shows you were more worried about the attack on you than finding scum...which is VERY scummy.

By near the end of Day 1, you've spent most of your time fending off Leafsnail's attack and done little to push anyone else, even though you had done a very early Widescan (which suggests you want to attack everyone at once).  Townie aggression is like Lock-Jaw*: Once on a target, the townie finds it HARD to let go until they either get the person lynched, find the person no longer scummish, or can't find enough to keep commenting on or fully mark them lynch-worthy.  Thus 'aggressive Janus' would've been either started on Dorf or Leafsnail with those accusations rather than conducting a widescan, and kept on them rather than turning to others. 

Aggressiveness is about constant pressure, constant attacks and a desire to KILL. 

At the end of the day when dorf was about to be killed, you wrote this:

More seriously, I'm hesitant to lynch dorf on the chance that he's telling the truth. Of course, that's exactly what scum dorf would want us to think and there's no way to prove it (short of roleflip).

On the other hand, if you actually are the doctor, you're next to useless now that the roleblocker knows who you are...

That being said, I know I'd know if I were scum and dorf is acting scummy. Ergo, a dorf lynch is preferable to a me lynch.

1. the first line is feeding WIFOM.  If you were trying to make dorf seem like he was using WIFOM, you should've just said "His claim was WIFOM..he could be, but could be not".  It's slightly meh in reasoning, but a valid attack (remember, you don't need GOOD reasoning 100% of the time, just 'townie reasoning')

2. "That being said, I know I'd know if I were scum and dorf is acting scummy. Ergo, a dorf lynch is preferable to a me lynch. "

Let me be blunt:

NEVER LET YOURSELF SAY THAT EVER *EVER* AGAIN!

"I'd rather they die than me."  It shows exactly what your desire is: to live.  Even if you didn't vote for him, you were content to let him die even if he's possibility the doctor.  You've said nothing about why you believe he's scum so it shows you AREN'T sure about him being scum.

Thus it reads fully as "I'm willing to let someone I'm not fully convinced is scum and is possibility the doctor die since it means I live."

Thus, NEVER EVER *EVER* say that you'd rather someone else die than you.  Even if that person is 500000% confirmed scum by 10 sane cops and the HOST.. NEVER say it.  Never even let yourself THINK it.  Self-preservation is the ultimate scummtell since that's the Mafia's true reason for even showing up during the day. 

Sidenote: not voting for a townie that the town believes is scum is a scumtell in itself.  It shows that you KNEW that the person was going to flip town, and only one group KNOWS who is who. 

How to handle it?  Aggression solves that matter.  If you are attacking someone else HARD then it shows that you felt someone else was scummier and, thus, was the reason you didn't vote (note, Pandar didn't vote for dorf because he was flat out tunnelling).  If you were attacking dorf all that time, then you would've have a good reason to vote for him and get him lynched (yes, even if you are the legendary 3rd vote).

Without aggression, though, you're left having to react to dorf.  By then, ANYTHING you do will look suspicious.  The best thing to do is to declare dorf scum or town and vote accordingly.  Don't even SUGGEST wishywashiness, just go one or the other and put your vote accordingly.  You WILL be suspected, but the suspicion will be less and fightable if you keep your stance.

And that's all in Day 1.

Simply put, you played this game very defensively, and the 'aggression' was actually just random hits on random players, which isn't aggressive at all.  The strikes against Lurkers on top of it didn't help matters.

Day 2 was the town realizing what happened in Day 1 and going after you for it.  In truth, the only thing new there was your passive hits on dirtybirdy, which did 2 things:

1. showed you were willing to put some suspicion on her, but not a direct attack: a sign that she was your partner.

2. It disrupted her and showed to the town that she hasn't said much to you.  A sign of distancing.

Aka, Day 1 marked you as scum.  Day 2 supplied the link to your partner.

If you, as scum, believe you are going to fry, focus on one person and ignore everyone else, or attack EVERYONE including your partner equally.  If you treat your partner just like everyone else with the exact same suspicion it'll doom you, but hide your partner.  If you, say, only attacked Zai and zai alone then it would've been harder to read who is with you.

Lastly, the quickvote.  Don't do that, even with hosts that do run hard deadlines or hammers.  It's not breaking ethics to post after deadline in my games because I specifically mark that the day has NOT ended by then. 

Besides, even if I DID run a hard deadline:  Pandarsenic snuck a request in before 11pm.  1 request all by itself warrants a 1 hour extension.  Thus if I was there and 100% hardcore about it, they would've STILL had 1 extra hour, which was enough to get the final two extensions in.

My deadlines are NOT easy to manipulate.  I do that purposely beacuse I DON'T want them manipulated.  Even my '3p hammer' is made soft to make it harder to abuse than a traditional hammer system.

LASTLY, even if you did pull it off, it would've been your death in any case.  the next day would be lylo and the town would easily see that you forced that mislynch.  There wouldn't be a way to avoid a lynching by then.  DB would've followed soon after due to the link in Day 2.

Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 12, 2010, 12:35:00 pm »

Personally, I thought this post was also pretty bad:
Quote from: JanusTwoFace
Well, I'd obviously prefer not to be lynched myself.  That doesn't help anyone, least of all me.  Right now, it looks like I'm going to get lynched mostly by inactivity, which really sucks.

Zai, Mephansteras, dirtybirdy, Eduren?  Any of have someone scummy enough to lynch that isn't me?  At least ideas?

Leafsnail / Pandarsenic, I don't think you'll be around before the deadline and it seems like you're leading everyone around anyways.  But if you have anyone other than me you'd like to lynch, I'd like to consider it.
Smacks quite strongly of desperation.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 12, 2010, 04:56:25 pm »

Excellent game. Now dak, can you run one of these for people who aren't beginners but just plain suck at this game anyway (i.e., me)?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 12, 2010, 05:02:54 pm »

Excellent game. Now dak, can you run one of these for people who aren't beginners but just plain suck at this game anyway (i.e., me)?

This.  Do it with ICs and stuff, two per side.  I think that one IC works okay for beginner's games, but for an intermediate-level game, you're going to want differing opinions.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 12, 2010, 05:51:45 pm »

Boot Camp mafia :D

I have two ideas in my head about that:

1. a game like Red suggested for the less experienced.

2. 3p Panel Mafia:

3 Players + X number of 'panelists'. The game runs 3 game days and is nightless.

Each day, one person is mafia.  The three debate over who the mafioso is.  They may vote as they like and all that. 

At the end of the day, the person is lynched, but their role isn't flipped.  Instead, it goes to the next day.  A new person is given mafia and the debate starts a new.  This continues until all three have had a chance at being mafia.

Note: declaring that you are/were mafia in any of the days (whether true or false) is a critical rule break.

Meanwhile, the Panelists discuss the game in a QuickTopic.  They try to determine who they believe is mafia in each of the days.  At the end of the third day, they vote on who they thought was town and who was mafia in each of the three days.

You recieve points two ways:

During the days, the townies receive a point if they lynch the mafioso, and the mafioso receives a point if they live.

After the three days, you receive a point each time the panelists mark you town (whether you are town or scum).

The basic idea is to filter everything down to the scumhunt.  No room to act passive.  No roles to mess with.  No free lynches.  It's not even so much about guessing.  The idea is to practice how to be town and find scum (or fake town and accuse others hwen you are scum).

I KNEW IT!

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 12, 2010, 05:58:49 pm »

Panel Mafia would benefit from more players; with only 3 players you can't get scum links going (or avoid them), which can be crucial in a regular game. And if the game is all about practice in the first place, then why not have a chance to practice everything (non role related, that is) in it?
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 12, 2010, 06:12:38 pm »

My God, dakarian, I was thinking of a game similar to that. But in mine, it was less for the experience, more for the "prove to the jury that you're town".

And of course, the jurors would be given their own intentions.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 12, 2010, 06:22:37 pm »

Both ideas can work.  In mine, the panelists work plain and true, so there's no tricks.

If yours do something funky then it's different enough to make a game out of it.
I KNEW IT!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 12, 2010, 07:35:58 pm »

I like Panel Mafia, but it would be better with an actual scumteam. Unfortunately, with 5 people, that's 5!/3! (5 factorial) scumteams.

20 scumteams.

20 days.

Nobody has the patience for 20 days.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 12, 2010, 07:59:24 pm »

Besides, it's easier to lurk your way through it.  With 3p there's no choice but to get into the fight.  Besides, I wouldn't mind bay 12 being broken out of the scumteam habit ;)
I KNEW IT!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]