Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk: Topic Discussion  (Read 33071 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress Talk: Topic Discussion
« on: January 12, 2010, 06:33:00 pm »

We'll be posting a topic vote for DF Talk #7 in the next few days.  We have some ideas about what the choices might be, but we also thought that among the three of us, we might have omitted some obvious ideas that would be popular in the voting.  So we thought we might let you guys make some suggestions here.  We've had sticky creep in the past on this board, so this might not stay up here forever.  We'll see what happens.

Things we were thinking of putting in the topic vote:

Economics & trade, individual combat specifics, legends/legends mode, embark/Oregon Trail stuff, more underground, weather, "end game" fortress stuff, race specifics, profession/workshop specifics, future of artifacts, future of magic...
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk: Topic Discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 06:43:26 pm »

I have two.

Multi-Racial fortresses: Dwarves, Elves, Goblins, Humans, etc are not the same creature. What are your plans for how to reflect that fact in a multi-racial fortress? What are the current roadblocks stopping us from having multi-racial forts in Fortress Mode?

The Consequences of Immortality: Elves and Goblins are Immortal. How are you going to handle these long-lived races as far as skills, professions, and such? Will an elf with a thousand years of practice as an archer be essentially perfect? Will they be able to get better at archery then even the best humans or dwarves?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 07:01:33 pm »

individual combat specifics

This one should definitely be in the topic vote.  It's been getting shafted for months.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 07:45:51 pm »

Goodness I like End game in general. Though this seems to be focused on the fortress.

Individual combat specifics has been on the voting for a very long time... It just is never voted for.

What do you think Toady means by Race specifics?

Goodness Future of magic? Far far future.

I am sort of interested in Artifacts but in a strong "Alterior Motives" sort of way

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 08:19:35 pm »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the questions that aren't just about engine mechanics are interesting too.  But I'll just ask it via email I guess.

Just because it's close to my experience, I'd have to vote for economics and trade, and how a large-scale realism net is supposed to work.  Just wait until you crash the market on cat tallow based products.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 08:24:30 pm »

Some more obvious ones... These are just random stuffs of my head, I'm not sure I'd even vote on them if they came up, but some pepale might like them.

Magic.

flora, fauna, fungi.

An adventurers jurney from peasant to prince; AI, conversation, and how to control an empire from adventure mode.

Fantactics: How historically realistic combat tactics are augmented by the presence and absence of  magic and fantastic creatures.

Geology?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 08:24:46 pm »

Economics & trade

I think the most interesting aspects of this one are how it ties into other aspects of the game -- the influence of cultural shifts on demand, worldgen -> geographical determinism -> economic advantage, wars over resources,the financing of wars, merchant/bandit entities as a spectrum rather than a dichotomy, black markets, etc.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 08:51:42 pm »

hrm, Geology sounds cool to me.

It may be a science overload for some people though (not for me).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 08:55:24 pm »

hrm, Geology sounds cool to me.

It may be a science overload for some people though (not for me).

Yes but how interesting is it in the context of Dwarf Fortress?

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 03:20:51 am »

Oregon Trail stuff or weather!!

..Definitely Oregon trail stuff!

Oh, or Multi-Racial fortresses like Mephansteras said..

I think it would be very interesting to have humans or elves or even goblins in your fort as productive members of society through various acts of subjugation and maybe found-in-the-woods adoption.. Or even fortress guests, like traveling adventurers or other groups.. I assume such a thing would be part of having a multi-racial fort!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 03:24:32 am by Thursday Postal »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 04:24:56 am »

I'm going to go ahead and support:
individual combat specifics
race specifics
future of artifacts

I don't support the future of magic yet because we've heard the same thing over and over again about it, mostly because it's a bit too distant to have too many specifics.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 01:07:33 pm »

embark/Oregon Trail stuff,
 race specifics

And multiracial forts.

HARMONY!
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 04:10:41 pm »

Traditional Alchemy: Could you delve more into the "Lead into Gold" alchemy; turning materials from one thing to another? As of right now, the only thing 'Alchemists' do is make soap, which makes them about as useful as... well, alchemists.

Future of Magic
Future of Artifacts
More underground
Combat specifics
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 04:23:40 pm »

Just Chancing but how about this:

When is the next version coming out?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 04:26:17 pm by Heliman »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 04:31:04 pm »

Just Chancing but how about this:

When is the next version coming out?

You're nominating this as a discussion topic for the next episode of the DF Talk podcast?  Toady doesn't make release date promises, as a rule, and it was recently discussed in the last episode of DF Talk:

Quote from: DF Talk 6 transcript
Toady: [...] the release is going to take however long - I don't know, it's obviously not going to be released this year as you'll know when we release this podcast in January and there's no Dwarf Fortress out, you'll obviously be aware of that fact as well - but if we release it that month or the next month or whenever, it's going to get there ...

It'll probably come out in February, but again, no promises.  Anyway, this thread is not for direct questions.  You can ask those in the List thread, or submit questions for DF talk as per this thread.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 04:35:05 pm by Footkerchief »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7