Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk: Topic Discussion  (Read 33070 times)

Komdour

• Bay Watcher
  • Whats with these Urist McBlabla's anyway?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk: Topic Discussion
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2010, 01:39:22 am »

I'm not sure when the next version will be out, but I think that the dwarf fortress talk right before or right after should be one big overall summarry of everything thats changed. You know, a little more detail than the list, and a little less than the dev log.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2010, 09:57:58 am »

Here is a topic I guess that coud be done

Civics: Employing culture through monuments, institutions, and sports.

Hmmmm... I am iffy about this. what do you guys think?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2010, 10:04:31 am »

I think its about time combat specifics got its chance.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 02:04:39 am »

End game stuff--how to bring challenge to the oldest, most established, and most bad-ass of fortresses.  I'm also down for race specifics (which imo would include half-breeds and multi-species fortresses).

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 12:10:26 pm »

Combat specifics in the new version. It's about time this was discussed properly.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2010, 01:46:29 pm »

I'm not sure when the next version will be out, but I think that the dwarf fortress talk right before or right after should be one big overall summarry of everything thats changed. You know, a little more detail than the list, and a little less than the dev log.

I second this idea.  It's been so long since the last release that this would serve as both a great reminder of what's to come and a great way to drag back those who have strayed from the path.

Nothing drums up excitement quite like a lively discussion of new techniques and concepts.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2010, 02:58:26 pm »

I second this idea.  It's been so long since the last release that this would serve as both a great reminder of what's to come and a great way to drag back those who have strayed from the path.

Nothing drums up excitement quite like a lively discussion of new techniques and concepts.

That's actually a really neat idea. It's been a year and a half (!!!) since the last release. I'd be nice to recap on some of the older and newer changes. That way we're talking about the "future" as well as the present.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 03:33:12 pm »

That's actually a really neat idea. It's been a year and a half (!!!) since the last release. I'd be nice to recap on some of the older and newer changes. That way we're talking about the "future" as well as the present.

I dunno.  A half-hour segment isn't enough time to recap in more depth than SirPenguin's list, and DF Talk has already covered many of those features in greater detail (caverns, animal peoples, new creatures, world generation).

I'd rather hear them cover some new ground.  Any of the three rejected topics from last time -- combat specifics, sciences behind DF, interbreeding -- would be preferable to a recap.  In fact, I'd just make it a vote between those three.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2010, 03:45:56 am »

I'm with Footkerchief on that. Though interbreeding may not really warrant it's own entire talk. The science certainly does and combat, well, df's combat is one of it's major drawing points. I vote for Combat.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2010, 03:43:18 pm »

Science is vague and frankly I shouldn't need to make this post

Why is it vague?
-Biology
-Sociology
-Anthropology
-Psychology
-Chemistry
-Physics
-Geneology
-Geology
-Biochemistry

Havn't we learned from two talks ago that Vague is bad? Feel free to add to the list.

Frankly the only reason it is called "Science" is for effect (and it worked... with all the people saying "For Science")

Hmmm, this is making me unreasonably angry, I think Ill go soak my head in some cool water :D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 03:45:24 pm by Neonivek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2010, 04:09:12 pm »

Neonivek is probably correct that the "Science" topic should be narrowed down to a few specific sciences before being put up for vote.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2010, 08:55:59 pm »

Aye.  Psychology would be my vote.

It'd be very interesting to see what mental components are actually required to make fictional creatures behave semi-realistically.

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2010, 06:37:06 am »

Science is vague and frankly I shouldn't need to make this post

Why is it vague?
-Biology
-Sociology
-Anthropology
-Psychology
-Chemistry
-Physics
-Geneology
-Geology
-Biochemistry

Havn't we learned from two talks ago that Vague is bad? Feel free to add to the list.

Frankly the only reason it is called "Science" is for effect (and it worked... with all the people saying "For Science")

Hmmm, this is making me unreasonably angry, I think Ill go soak my head in some cool water :D

And thats only the basic stuff. Science is fractal. Physics has vectors, motion, gravity, electricity, mass, weight, density, Reflection and refraction of light and waves (and light waves), particle physics, rocket science, robotics...

Vague isn't the word for it. Science is extremely detailed. It has to be. The problem is that trying to encompass every aspect would take the same amount of time as it took humans to get that far.

Also, on a different note, Toady, I utterly adore the new statue system. And the figurine system. Ive got a statue of a dwarf hugging a donkey. If I have time, I will attempt to draw it.

Also, A lot of humans were killed by Sasquatch in 'the beloved jungle', and my dwarves like carving it. Also, there is an area called the 'simplicity of paddling', which is awesome.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 06:44:11 am by Mr_Bucket_Hat »

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2010, 04:22:46 pm »

I realize this conversation died a while ago but I think multiracial forts would be amazing. Imagine your starting seven Dwarves chugging a few beers, then suddenly from the forest (half cut down) a group of Dwarves comes a walking, but amongst the Dwarves there are some Goblin companions, and an Elven slave or two.
Goblins shouldn't be able to breed with the others. BUT Dwarves and Elves should (Just because it's funny to picture).

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2010, 04:43:26 pm »

Making the world outside of the fortress more like worldgen?

EX, babies are born in towns, the children grow up, and people stumbling on battles???
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7