Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Massive heat generation  (Read 7067 times)

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Massive heat generation
« on: January 12, 2010, 10:13:05 pm »

I'm playing my first new game on 4.01.4 and my founder seems to have turned into some kind of fireball for reasons I do not entirely understand. This guy is generating about 200 heat per day in a 95% secrecy safehouse! I'm beginning to think that he must have become the Riddler and that this is all a result of him leaving thinly veiled clues to his whereabouts on the police commissioner's desk each morning. He hasn't been especially active of late (searching opinion polls mainly), but I recently published some documents he obtained a few months ago. The safehouse with the active printing press has no heat on it at all, even though it's fairly crowded and has multiple illicit operation going on inside it. My best guess is the the documents are solely associated with him (he was the only liberal on that mission) and that publishing them has some how caused the game to make him generate heat because of that association.

From my experience with earlier versions I know that publishing documents causes large amounts of heat to generate, but that had always seemed to be focused upon the location of my press and was never this intense. Am I doing something wrong, or is this really a bug?

EDIT:
As an experiment I deliberately caused him to be arrested and his crimes are as follows:
9 counts of kidnapping
4 counts of distribution of a controlled substance
2 counts of aiding a prison escape
265 counts of felony assault
462 counts of murder
10 counts of theft
15 counts of breaking and entering
26 counts of vandalism
resisting arrest
9 counts of disturbing the peace

Rather unsurprisingly, he was convicted and received a "lenient" sentence of 5 consecutive life terms in prison thanks to my sleeper judge and ace attorney (under moderate death penalty laws). After reviewing his record I am not surprised that he generates so much heat, but he did not start doing so earlier.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:04:28 pm by HLBeta »
... and then it explodes!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Massive heat generation
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 05:04:49 am »

Only 200 heat per day? Man, you're lucky. I'd have to shuffle my founder around between safehouses every other day because staying over night generated something like 600 heat, and if I did leave him around in one place too long, the army would siege wherever I was and the Air Force would bomb the hell out of me.

Good times.
!!&!!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 01:58:08 pm »

And people wonder why I prefer the Sleeper Strategy.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 04:16:41 pm »

I wonder if the heat of any individual (or the effective heat delivered to a safe house) should be capped at a maximum level.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 05:28:10 pm »

Eventually the president should say that your founder is wanted "Dead or alive" at which point the police should give up looking for him.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 05:35:36 pm »

Eventually the president should say that your founder is wanted "Dead or alive" at which point the police should give up looking for him.
I'd replace that with "Sets up a special army unit aimed solely at taking him down".

Antagonist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 05:40:43 pm »

Personally I feel the 'heat' of your crimes should lower with passing time.

A day old murder likely has the whole department in a frenzy, but a year old murder with no leads would be lucky if it still has anyone actively investigating it.

Of course, murder will take MUCH longer for the 'heat' to die down than say vandalism.

The crimes themselves tho will stay on record, assuming they aren't... lost somehow, and your members will get charged with ALL of them if they get caught.

In short, I think this situation is abit rediculous from a gameplay standpoint.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 05:48:27 pm »

Personally I feel the 'heat' of your crimes should lower with passing time.

A day old murder likely has the whole department in a frenzy, but a year old murder with no leads would be lucky if it still has anyone actively investigating it.

Of course, murder will take MUCH longer for the 'heat' to die down than say vandalism.

The crimes themselves tho will stay on record, assuming they aren't... lost somehow, and your members will get charged with ALL of them if they get caught.

In short, I think this situation is abit rediculous from a gameplay standpoint.

I can agree with this. Fortunately, it won't be hard to implement. Heat is already tracked separately from criminal record, so heat can decay over time without changing how the court system works. A 5% cumulative heat reduction every month seems like a good conservative figure. This would halve your heat every 13 to 14 months. A 10% cumulative heat reduction every month would halve your heat every 6 to 7 months.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 09:54:00 pm »

"Hey remember that guy who halfed our town's population?"

"Yeah but that was years ago. Who cares about that now?"

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 10:44:19 pm »

If they catch you, they still care. But after a certain point, they give up looking for you, and your face is no longer pinned on every cop's dashboard and on the news with a hotline number for tips to support the manhunt. As a result, you're not as likely to actually get caught.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 11:07:43 pm »

My suggestion is to have it somehow know your true heat.

So if you start to become active again it should rise faster then someone who did nothing.

Hmm actually I am not sure if my idea would work

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 11:30:25 am »

How about this, Heat should be a number associated with your total crime commited.  When you aren't commiting crimes, your heat will head towards zero by a certain percentage.  When you are commiting crimes it will head towards your heat total (which is based on total crimes commited) by a certain percentage, based on the kind of activity (anything that gets peoples attention, like murder, should make it a larger percentage).  New crimes have their heat value instantly added to your current heat.  Thus, if you have a founder that's commited several thousand murders, you can just hide him in the basement and the attention shouldn't be there, but once he goes outside to do something, bam, swat teams and army men descend on your safe house. 

The advantage of this would be the removal of the pain in the ass factor associated with getting 400 murders pinned on your founder.  It allows him to remain there, ready to be used, even though you've busted him out of prison for the dozenth time.  It's one of the things in this game that really annoys me, once you've gotten convicted for multiplie homicide, the game turns into an endless war with the police/army/swat teams.  There should be a way to hide without leaving your people in the system. 

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 05:14:13 pm »

I always just found it peculiar that the police are always able to pin the crime on you 100 percent of the time. The fact that organized crime rings exist at all without being bombed to hell by the national guard is evidence enough that this is not strictly the case in reality.
!!&!!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 07:41:31 pm »

Yes, but those are patriotic, conservative organized crime rings.  Nobody cares about them as much as they care about the leftist terrorists that the LCS represents.  When terrorists are concerned, all those pesky laws that hinder normal criminal investigations disappear.  ;D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 12:32:19 am »

I always just found it peculiar that the police are always able to pin the crime on you 100 percent of the time. The fact that organized crime rings exist at all without being bombed to hell by the national guard is evidence enough that this is not strictly the case in reality.

Well in the same vein however you DO commit crimes out in the open for the most part and a few crimes in the game are "You failed" crimes (For example I think kidnapping crime and some forms of murder only happen if they catch you)

Heck even with those silly witnesses you can get away with murder.
Pages: [1] 2