Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I was thinking about the economy  (Read 1186 times)

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I was thinking about the economy
« on: March 30, 2007, 02:08:00 pm »

I came to realize something.  In our economy, we buy our furniture, we only rent the space we live in.  Rarely do we get a room that is prefurnished, and yes, those are more expensive.

My point.  Once the economy starts, give use the ability to rent out bedrooms to the dwarves, and give the dwarves the ability to buy and install their own furniture.  The only furniture that should count towards room rental fees should be pre installed furniture, and if a dwarf is evicted, he should remain in posession of his bought furniture.  This should help with room costs.

Also, maybe a dwarf could decide to "improve" his quarters much the way we might repaint, by smoothing/engraving himself.  Of course he could not take that with him, but it would not effect his rental fee at that point in time.  He might also be willing to purchase the services of a professional engraver if he could afford it.  Any improvements would however be charged to future owners.

''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
Re: I was thinking about the economy
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 02:50:00 pm »

Sounds reasonable. It would be cool to see rooms getting engraved/funished by the dwarves themselves, altho it might get messy.

Perhaps an additional build/plans state for furniture: "Build if required". So the player would still lay down plans/positions for furniture, but they would only get built if the owner wanted it.

Other suggestions from IRC: "Basic supply and demand system"...

... alter the prices of rooms depending on quantity available, not just a fixed rate on quality.

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 02:16:00 am »

I believe there already is something very similar in place, but it doesn't work quite right.  The prices for individual items is adjusted by nobles frequently after the economy starts.  However this in no way takes into account the number and availability of they quality types of each item.

Something that I see that doesn't make sense is that a dwarf can take a break, but he does none of his recreational tasks on a break.  Tasks like picking up new clothing that is not job related, or purchasing stuff, etc should be done on breaks.  They should not count as a job related task.  I hate seeing a dwarf that I need to do something NOW stop to take a break, sit around for 5 mins, then trade out 3 pieces of equipment, go to make friends, etc., all before he decides to start working again.  That stuff is what breaks are for.  This should help dwarves recieve more pay on average too such that they can afford more of the finer things in life.

Finally, coins.  Ahh coins, the bane of every player's existance.  Dwarves waste time dragging single coins that they've earned to and from their coffers if they're lucky.  If not, then their workshops, hallways, and stockpiles are littered with coins throughout the fort.  I can see a dwarven fortress, where pay is determined by the price of goods, and the quality of work, and is paid out through a new noble.  The Paymaster.  When he arrives he forms a squad of workers (name?) that you can assign a worker too.  These dwarves will assist the paymaster in making sure that everyone has the correct amounts of coin for the work that they've done.  There will also be a new building, the vault (humans and elves would have banks), for those dwarves to store coins that they have nowhere else to store, and it will be run by this squad.  Of course recombining stacks of coins would be wonderful in helping out this problem too, it would reduce the number of dwarves needed to devote to this greatly.  Also would giving the dwarves purses, where they can carry coins on their breaks in order to make purchases.

''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 02:18:00 am »

It seems like a waste of power (and I mean processing power) simply to have dwarves randomly deciding where they want their furniture. I think it would make more sense if the rooms didn't come with the furniture, but you (the designer) sort of made a blueprint in the room. If they want an armor rack, there's a spot for an armor rack; when they buy it, it goes in that spot (you designated the spot, not the dwarf). Sort of a little bit of both worlds; the player still has to add furniture, but (more realistically, it would seem) the dwarf doesn't get freebies on any furniture.

[ March 31, 2007: Message edited by: Xeirxes ]