Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "needs architecture" The hell?  (Read 16440 times)

Zambaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"needs architecture" The hell?
« on: January 14, 2010, 09:46:41 am »

My bridge is giving me problems. I can't construct it since I apparently needs an achitecture. Well, I got 2 of 'em...What gives?

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "needs architecture" The hell?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 09:55:19 am »

You need a dwarf with the Architecture labour turned on.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 09:55:26 am »

The architect needs to go over and work on it, this means that you need to prevent one of them from doing other tasks (jobs). find one via v > p > l and shut off everything but architect.

Zambaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 10:03:55 am »

Okay, now it says something is blocking...Could it be the granite block floor that's blocking it? Or the walls in the doorway?

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 10:14:35 am »

Walls prevent you from designating the building in the first place.  It's probably an item that's tasked, and thus immovable by other dwarves.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 11:19:51 am »

The item blocking construction is a very common problem. It usually means an item is in the way of construction, but there is already a dwarf assigned to do something with that item. Problem is, that dwarf needs to travel there without being interrupted by hunger, thirst, sleep or other such things. I think forbidding and then unforbidding the item may assign a different dwarf to it, who may be quicker to reach it. Else, I'm afraid there's nothing to do but wait and periodically uncancelling construction.

Another possibility is that the item in the way of construction is forbidden (which will prevent any dwarf from moving it) or owned by one of your dwarves (meaning it can only be moved by the dwarf that owns it).
The fish are watching.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 12:14:15 pm »

Also you can have problems with reclaimed forts (items tasked in the previous game can not be moved until the previous games task is completed, but as that game is no longer in use you can't perform that task, there is a bug report out about this, if you can move the object via water pressure or falling it will clear the task).

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 02:41:21 pm »

Forbind and recalim only works for stuff marked with TSK, while items desiganted to be used in buildings can only be moved via cancelling the building. Or finishing it.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 04:40:50 pm »

Another possibility is that the item in the way of construction is forbidden (which will prevent any dwarf from moving it) or owned by one of your dwarves (meaning it can only be moved by the dwarf that owns it).

Items owned by dwarves can be moved if you designate a building over it.  That's how I get all the useless tattered clothes into an atomsmasher (eventually, it takes forever).
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 07:44:23 am »

Items owned by dwarves can be moved if you designate a building over it.  That's how I get all the useless tattered clothes into an atomsmasher (eventually, it takes forever).

It would be faster to build atom smasher right over them:

1) Build 2x3 bridge right on top of item (item under middle tile of 3 tile side), it will be pushed aside
2) Raise that bridge
3) Put 2x3 bridge on top of item (item under middle tile of 3 tile side), if done right, it will be pushed aside under raided bridge.
4) Bridge, SMASH!

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 01:48:33 pm »

Oops, I didn't read the whole thing.

That's sort of what I do, but it's usually a barracks.  I just make a 1x2 bridge that atomsmashes the doorway, raise it, then make a road that fills the entire barracks.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 01:54:11 pm »

Or you could give your dwarves cabinets. Cheap stone or green glass works just fine, your average hauler is orgasmicly happy with a base quality bed to call their own. If each dwarf has a cabinet and chest/box/bag, they'll keep all their possessions in neat little piles in their rooms.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 09:53:23 pm »

I'm having the same problem as the original poster, only I have at least a dozen workers with architecture turned on, and several of them have no job.

EDIT:  Nevermind, just realized my dwarfs can't co outside.  :P
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:58:30 pm by BodyGripper »
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 11:13:28 pm »

Is there a disadvantage to just assigning architecture to all your Dwarves? I usually just use Dwarf Therapist to give every single Dwarf in the Fortress the labor.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 03:31:44 am »

You don't get the happy thoughts from superior architecture, I think. That might or might not be a problem for you/ your ego.
Pages: [1] 2