Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "needs architecture" The hell?  (Read 16538 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: "needs architecture" The hell?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 03:40:58 am »

no one here has mentioned that you can also get the item-blocking result if your dwarf architect (dwarfitecht?) does not have, say, the stone hauler labour while there are stones in the way.

Or does that only happen with the mason portion of the job? now I am doubting myself. Anyone?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 10:24:26 am »

I think blocking stones are only removed after the architecture stage of construction, and I'm quite sure no a hauling labour is required to move items blocking a construction site.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 12:56:12 pm »

In the 2D version Architecture was moodable. Having a mooded Architect who got all her stat boosts in Agility made waiting for building work slightly less painful. I don't know why dwarven architects insist on doing the majority of work themselves instead of drawing up plans and letting the haulers and the masons or whatever do the building. What do they even do?

How much of a boost does architectural quality give, anyway? Is it applied to the structure, independant of any materials, or does it boost the value of the materials as well?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 12:42:01 am »

If you spend the time designating many many stone stone columns in a room filled with stone and get your architect up to Legendary, you can design a Trade Depot that makes all dwarves admire it and gives them a happy thought. I usually make it out of Native Platinum Blocks. I think nice trade depots are one of the most valuable things for dwarves to admire short of some artifacts. They after all require two jobs and 3 materials to make.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 01:17:29 am »

I prefer wells for superquality items. Cloth ropes can get real valuable easily, and Aluminum Buckets are great.

As for the architect issue, I like to have one dwarf with the Architect labor turned on and nothing else. I train his skill by designating Supports in an unimportant location.

rrauenza

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2017, 06:53:29 pm »

I had this problem (architect needed for the bridge) and I finally figured out what my problem was.  I'm posting to this old thread since it's the top hit in google for this.

I was building a bridge like this, a little wider than my doors:

WWWWW
    DBBBB
    DBBBB
    WBBBB
    WWWWW

D = door, B = bridge, W = wall

Once I built it only 2 squares high, it built immediately:

WWWWW     
     DBBBB
     DBBBB
     WWWWW

So it seems like the bridge has to be open/accessible on both ends.  I don't think I was getting any messages about obstructions...
Pages: 1 [2]