Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Presidents  (Read 1806 times)

themel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Presidents
« on: January 14, 2010, 04:59:35 pm »

I'm having a bit of an endgame issue here... The country is nicely L+ on all issues, the CCS has been defeated and I'm the overlord of a filthy rich squad of fighter/programmer/medic superheroes, but apparently I can't get the sheeple to nominate an L+ candidate for president. My L president just got reelected (and justly so, over her moderate opponent) and has annoyingly high approval ratings.

Any recommendations? I just shut down the entire city, and now people like her 78% instead of 74%.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: Presidents
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 05:16:09 pm »

Well. We need a way to shortcut the presidency. But other than that, wait until the end of the term, because Presidents have a two term limit. You'll be more likely to get an L+ candidate in that case.

themel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 05:26:57 pm »

Ah, thanks. I guess I'll go grind some more exotic weapon skills over the next four years, then.

Nobody1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 06:17:20 pm »

Well. We need a way to shortcut the presidency.

Just a suggestion--we already use constitutional amendments to bypass an awful lot of things.  It might be interesting to use a different mechanism to shortcut the presidency when the country is more liberal than them and the legislative branch is more liberal than them: impeachment.

(It could work in reverse, also; removing a liberal president when congress slips to being conservative.)

It would make the Vice-President matter, for one; at least, I've never seen the VP break any ties in senate nor seen a president die and be replaced while in office.  If the VP is also undesirable, he could be impeached first, in which case the replacement, though chosen by the President, would have to be acceptable to congress and senate.

In real history, the political use of impeachments or credible threat of impeachment is fairly rare in the United States...but this is a game where one squad's actions in one city can get constitutional amendments to purge Congress and override term-limit laws or lack-thereof for all states, or declare specific people by name non-citizens passed, so orchestrating a political impeachment seems quite a bit more likely in comparison.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 09:41:05 pm »

Alternatively just deny the incumbent nomination if congress is elite liberal or arch conservative.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 10:48:13 pm »

I was actually thinking that if Congress is C+ or L+ and the President is not, or Congress is two or more alignment steps away from the President, then you start getting big news stories about a scandal brewing. It would play out over the course of a couple of months, with occasional newspaper stories about the mounting political damage (with some public opinion shifts for each story), and then conclude with the President's resignation or impeachment. The VP might actually change alignment, moving a point toward Congress in order to avoid a similar fate. If that doesn't cut it, a new scandal could arise on the new guy.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 11:19:08 pm »

Well. We need a way to shortcut the presidency.
It would make the Vice-President matter, for one; at least, I've never seen the VP break any ties in senate nor seen a president die and be replaced while in office.

I've seen the VP break a tie in the game a few times, so the VP does matter to some extent.  But it's still a good idea.

Nobody1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 01:52:23 am »

The developing scandal idea sounds like a fun mechanic.  That way, final victory at liberalization wouldn't be suddenly hitting the 'w' key and finding out about the game-winning development the instant it happened (the first time it happened to me when I wasn't involuntarily waiting the time out in prison, I was expecting to just have to wait for enough elections to clean out the senate, and then one sunny day without warning the people threw the bums out for me), but give a nice lead-up and the feeling of a countdown to victory--if you stay alive and keep things on the right track.  Sort of like launching your spaceship in the Civilization series.  Whereas the growing panic as you realized that the L+ president you worked so hard to get was about to be lost would be like when the other guy launches a spaceship in the same series....

If the National LCS or liberal road trips are ever implemented, it ought to be fun for the LCS to take a hand directly in the launching or abortion of these scandals.  Why wait for unaffiliated NPCs to be your Woodward and Bernstein?