Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What size are goblins in DF?  (Read 2878 times)

Markatta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What size are goblins in DF?
« on: December 06, 2007, 04:07:00 pm »

They range in size from game to game and I've sometimes also heard that they are the same things as orcs.

Are they the little irritating buggers you blast away with a single magic missile or are they brutish orc-like things?

I've found myself thinking of them as orcs as a dwarf can whip away a "Warcraft" goblin with the back of his hand but duke it out in a pretty even fight with an orc.

[ December 06, 2007: Message edited by: Markatta ]

DR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What size are goblins in DF?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 04:37:00 pm »

They're the same size as dwarves only skinnier. They're still more like orcs in attitude and skill though.

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 04:55:00 pm »

You can't kill Warcraft Goblins.
They kill themselves first.

You can tell that they really are Warcraft goblins.
How?

Well, they don't know where your fortress is.

Why?

They threw the minimap in a lake.

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 10:23:00 pm »

yer they similar size to dwarves but skinnier.  Hence why their clothing is "narrow" and not "small".  

Would be fun to have grot attacks tho  :D

the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 10:44:00 pm »

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 01:09:00 am »

AAAhhh, My eyes!
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 10:13:00 am »

IT BUUUUUURNS USSSSSS *HISS*

Ahem. I always thought of DF gobs as the little annoying guys, but I always found it kinda strange that they have such a long lifespan. A millennium of annoying dwarves? They seem more like the kinda creatures that'd pitter out after a century, tops.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 11:27:00 am »

Goblins are three apples tall. That means whenever you kill a goblin fishery worker, YOU KILLED A SMURF!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 11:39:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/6221/toopt7.jpg</STRONG>

Deep Quantas tiles do not count, as they are fan-made.

:)

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 11:54:00 am »

I always imagined goblins being the eternal rivals of dwarves.  I also imagined that if we played "Goblin Fortress", We would have Dwarven thieves sneak in, and dwarven armies besieging us.  And that Dwarven clothing would have the [wide] tag on it (if we keep everything relative to Goblins).

So yeah, I would imagine them as being the same size.

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Durnheist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 01:18:00 pm »

According to the raws they are supposed to be the same size, size 6.  But what is odd is that I often find them showing up wielding 2h weapons unwieldable for their size at all, in one hand and a shield in the other.  Take pikes and halberds for example, they require a minimum of size 7 to wield, and even then are supposed to be wielded 2handed.  Goblins and dwarfs are size 6, so how axe goblins are showing up at my fort with a halberd in one hand and a shield in the other is beyond me.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 01:29:00 pm »

I always imagine them as Oblivion goblins. Roughly the appropriate size. Narrow tag fits them perfectly. Only, DF goblins appear to be more civilized. Where Oblivion goblins live in a hole in the ground have shoddy weaponry and armor... DF goblins have high knowledge of metalworking, complex fortresses where some towers are only accessable from underground shafts. DF Goblins seem pretty intelligent despite their nature in the old version, just throwing themselves at the fortress with reckless abandon. While it helps contribute to my image of the Oblivion goblin (Oblivion goblins are like little zerglings *shudder*), It'd be neat if the DF goblins were intelligent with attacking, building outposts near your fortress, scouting the area, picking off lone dwarves that are somewhere outside... probably escalating in a large scale assault on the fortress.

Another thing that seems to fit the Oblivion goblin image is that DF goblins are pretty weak compared to dwarves, in my opinion. They're far stronger than Oblivion goblins, though. I guess this is the old version image still persisting with me, since they would only be equipped with regular quality iron, compared to masterpiece steel dwarven champions.

[ December 10, 2007: Message edited by: Lightning4 ]

Fenrir

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 03:50:00 pm »

Aren't there different kinds of goblins, like the Scottish Red-Caps? If that is so, are there gobbos of differing size?
In any case, I've always imagined them as being a bit more than half the size of a man. I don't imagine them as being unsophisticated in any respect, but quite intellegent and crafty.

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 11:22:00 am »

They're about this tall:

code:
 g 

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile