Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Dealing with Aquifers

(1/3) > >>

kwon:
Holla!
I'm here with another problem for you  :)
I've had many wonderfull sites;however, they were crippled by aquifers.
So, is there any safe way of dealing with them ?
I looked up the wiki, but somehow I don't seem to understand a single word...
I thought of pumping them out, but since they refill it'd take quite a lot of pumps; I think.

Thanks for the incoming answers !

gtmattz:
Hmm, I personally cant think of any way of explaining that is better or more understandable than the wiki...  Maybe you need to read through it again, re-reading any areas that are confusing you until you get it?  Maybe some more specifics of what portions you don't understand would help us help you?

kwon:
Well, I'm fairly interested in the cave-in method.
I'd be happy with just a step by step explanation in text instead of those pictures.
Also, does it have to be soil at any given time for this to work ?
So far, it seems like you have to build a wall, then mine the tiles under it so it falls down. How do you continue ?

(Sorry if it seems like I'm too lazy  :P )

nutzy:
I've never pierced an aquifer, but I do know the cave-in method requires some layers of rock above the aquifer.

You may not even need to pierce the aquifer at all if it doesn't cover the entire embark area. That has been my solution every time I have had a map with an aquifer.

FYI, this is the wrong forum for questions. You really want this one: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?board=7.0

Blargityblarg:
If you want to cheat, you can go into the raws, specifically the soil ones (and to a lesser extent the layer stone ones) and violently purge with flame and blade all instances of [AQUIFER].

They will no longer exist.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version