Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Vote for the next topic for Dwarf Fortress talk - Episode #7!

1. The Birds and the Bees and the Bauxite and the Barometer:  The science(s) behind Dwarf Fortress
- 269 (32.8%)
2. Hey, Those Pointy Ears Would Look Good on My Children:  The races, their characteristics, and interbreeding
- 151 (18.4%)
3. Artificionado:  Artifacts and their future in Dwarf Fortress
- 286 (34.9%)
4. Shaft Me No More With That Spear:  Another try for combat specifics, anyone?
- 114 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 820

Voting closed: January 23, 2010, 06:05:30 pm

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #7: Topic Vote  (Read 51758 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #7: Topic Vote
« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2010, 04:16:15 pm »

I'm sure if voting power was rated in intensity combat-specifics would have won.

But Workerdrone can't apply rage here, and neither can any of you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2010, 05:57:23 pm »

I don't know why... but I am sensing doom

I am probably just reading too into things.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2010, 08:54:31 pm »

So since its so close Artifacts for the next talk and Science then for the talk after the next?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2010, 09:04:55 pm »

So since its so close Artifacts for the next talk and Science then for the talk after the next?

Fairly sure we'll hold another vote.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2010, 07:46:34 am »

Combat has to win EVENTUALLY.

I am just too well versed in what has been said for me to vote for it :P

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2010, 09:14:58 am »

I think everybody is looking forward to the combat talk, but at the same time combat is already really awesome/gruesome/entertaining, so I think that a lot of us figure that in terms of ascii games (or any other kind for that matter) we're a pretty spoiled crowd.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2010, 03:47:31 pm »

If even a small fraction of the voters are like me, they probably closed their eyes and picked a topic at random because they want to hear everything.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2010, 08:32:58 pm »

I think everybody is looking forward to the combat talk, but at the same time combat is already really awesome/gruesome/entertaining, so I think that a lot of us figure that in terms of ascii games (or any other kind for that matter) we're a pretty spoiled crowd.

I just want to be able to aim someday.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 28, 2010, 05:14:40 pm »

I voted for SCIENCE! Hard not to.

I'm not so interested in interbreeding....so much as I am just breeding non-dwarf races period. I really want my Goblin breeding pits to churn out cost-effective experience dummies for my soldiers.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2010, 04:12:59 pm »

I have a feeling that there's a large probability the new release gets released before Talk #8 arrives. If there's weeks between the talks and #7 will still take some time to arrive.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2010, 07:16:49 pm »

eh. They usually come out one or two weeks in, so...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2010, 07:22:40 pm »

Probably in a week or so, guys.  No fears!
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2010, 10:34:46 pm »

Thanks for the info, sounds good. Looking forward to it!

Since I have an excuse to post other than spam: Now that it won't go against the preference of the OP to keep the votes secret I can say that I chose artifacts. I was very curious about how they would change in the new version and what significant effects they could have, but Toady recently answered that curiosity in a post.

Now that I've hashed over that in my mind and in this post it seems silly to use artifacts as the main topic of DF Talk. There's nothing new except that they are subject to the new rules and thus less effective than before. What more could we want to know than what we already know about what Toady plans to do in the distant future, and this:

Quote from: Heph
hmmm with the material rewrite i guess artifact weapons (and possible armor?) are nerved down or do they get some magical, weight, shearpoint, yield modifiers? Also what about the elven wood-weapons? Do the elves now manipulate the materials in some faschion?
Quote from: Calenth
Do we know how artifact weapons and armor, specifically artifact weapons and armor made with strange materials, will interact with the materials system? Will an artifact bone spear be able to pierce normal steel plate, or will it be largely ineffectual? Will artifact weapons and armor acquire item damage? Would an artifact gold hammer get bent or broken when I bashed it on someone's adamantium helmet?
Quote from: Footkerchief
For combat purposes, artifacts are just unusually high quality:<quotes>

Yeah, the current situation is:

Value*10.
Cannot be owned (can be equipped, you might have to do it explicitly though).
Armor deflection roll has *3 roll modifier instead of the masterwork's *2.
Same for melee attack and archery rolls.
It looks like the artifact edges are the maximum edge for the material, which is also what a masterwork gets, so beyond a masterwork you'd just be getting the hit roll modifier.
Things like artifact bone spears will likely be crap against steel, yeah.  We don't have actual magical artifacts yet, and that's what would be required.

I understand that you thought the topic was substantial enough to put it as an option in the first place, and you have questions prepared on the subject. However, as one of the people who voted for artifacts, I have to say that this post changes the situation and my vote would no longer be for artifacts. I'd rather get info on something like science, breeding or combat than something that won't see implementation possibly for years.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2010, 05:20:04 am »

As one of the people who didn't vote for artifacts, I'm very interested in listening to what will happen to them and the moods in the future (not only the next update). Looking forward to it!
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]