Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Pressure Fountain

(1/2) > >>

Karik:
So I have never had a mist generator before and I realized that the plumbing of the fort I had made was set up to be just in the right spot to have a nice little waterfall.  So I decided that, hell why not?  Now, my problem is I want to keep it continuous so I have to pump the water back up and out to the river.  Not hard, but I am too lazy and don't want to have levels of pumps to get all the water surface side, so I am wondering/trying:  Can you use four pumps to pump water down paths that will merge, and use the power of the four pumps to push the water up a tube and then make gyser of sorts to make yet another mist show?  Would be sveet.  Yes, sweet with a v.

Canadark:
I'm pretty sure pumps cannot pump water above the level they are on (unless there is another pump).

beekay:
Pumps don't pump water to areas above their own level. However, I can suggest another way to create one, based on an engineering mishap that flooded my whole fort in five seconds:

%%
  |         |
  |         | holding tank
  |____ ____|
      | |
      | |_______________| | fountain
      |___________________|

Fill the holding tank with water, then release it into the pipe. It'll be pushed through and up again, hopefully causing a fountain. Normally I wouldn't expect it to spray, but again, the engineering mishap has corrected that ignorance.

If it doesn't spray, you may need to make the tank taller - having more water on higher levels increases the rate of water movement, since it's going as fast as gravity can pull it, rather than as fast as it can diffuse sideways. On the other hand, it may spray too much. In this case, pretend to be a sorcerer and conjure rainstorms on command, to terrify your enemies.

Fishbulb:
I've thought of trying something like this, but haven't gotten around to it. My idea was to have a setup basically like yours, Beekay, but with a much higher cistern. Say 10-12 z-levels or so. Go big or go home, right?

Anyway, I had the idea of using a one-tile pipe that would emerge somewhere interesting (meeting hall, dining room, count's bedroom, whatevs), and surround that pipe by a 3x3 square of floor, then surround that by a 5x5 square of grates. So the center tile is the pipe that's connected to the cistern high above, the 8 tiles around that are solid, then the 16 tiles (I think that's right) that surround that are grates that lead to a drain.

Ideally, water would rush up the pipe, out into the tiles immediately surrounding the pipe, then drain down through the grates. Mist? Maybe, dunno. Horrible, deadly flooding? Almost certainly; see above, re: count's bedroom. I hate that guy.

Skorpion:
Hmm. That's a nice solution to the mist generation question. And if you have a bottomless pit, you can just stripe it with floors and grates and set the outflow up in the center.
I suppose you could run it off a river for water and power, as well.

The real question is whether you could use natural water pressure to use it as a fish trap.

It's very dwarven, but I like my cantilevered cobaltite, obsidian and electrum meeting area all the same. It juts out over the pit beneath my paved layers, and has an outflow from the brook to pour water in from above to split up and flow down through the gratings.
Said outflow was originally the drainage for the elf drowner, so every time I get an NBC* caravan, everyone gets a bit happier.

* Nothing But Cloth.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version