Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 42

Author Topic: EFFIGIES - Dwarfy Fantasy webcomic [DEAD]  (Read 71977 times)

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: EFFIGIES - the somewhat DF related webcomic
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2010, 01:37:29 am »

Hehe, I've hit a roadblock while writing my story.

That roadblock is Effigies and tons of other roadblocks.

I'm... umm... glad that my work is keeping you from making progress?

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2010, 01:38:21 am »

Haha, it's also a source of inspiration.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2010, 10:10:26 am »

I'm digging your work, Mr. Fault. Just caught wind of this last night, and got caught up and all that good stuff.

If you'd care for a critique:
You've got a really strong sense of shape and style, and your color choice for characters and scenes is quite nice too. However, the coloration/shading itself has the feel of using a gradient, which makes everything look pillowy, and detracts from the style. Work on using shadows to suggest shape where and when needed, rather than putting them on the bottom edge or underside of things.

I'd say that, and trust your lines more! I can tell you've got images for these guys in your mind, but I get the impression that you sometimes struggle to recreate them as they exist in your head, and keep on doing lines over and over again until they look "right". Maybe you'd find it a helpful exercise to doodle for a bit, but draw figures using only one continuous line, without pausing or erasing? It's a good way to command a better control of the lines you're working with, and increase brain-pen fluidity.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:12:03 am by Solifuge »

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2010, 01:35:20 pm »

If you'd care for a critique:
please do! I'm always interested in improving my work.

However, the coloration/shading itself has the feel of using a gradient, which makes everything look pillowy, and detracts from the style.
I'm beginning to dislike the gradient style of shading too. Right now each colour has four levels of brightness, but I'm thinking of shortening it to 2 or 3 once the second chapter rolls around (which should be within a few pages!)

I'd say that, and trust your lines more! I can tell you've got images for these guys in your mind, but I get the impression that you sometimes struggle to recreate them as they exist in your head, and keep on doing lines over and over again until they look "right". Maybe you'd find it a helpful exercise to doodle for a bit, but draw figures using only one continuous line, without pausing or erasing? It's a good way to command a better control of the lines you're working with, and increase brain-pen fluidity.
I think those are called continuous line contours. they're a very effective practice method... I should do them more often.
On a technical standpoint, however, I've noticed that the method I use to resize my pages tends to make the lines look very pixellated. To combat this I'm thinking of editing the pages of chapter two in a higher resolution than those of chapter one and the prologue.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2010, 03:19:34 pm »

Who is going in first? We wait with anticipation! :D
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2010, 08:06:10 pm »

To be frank, I sort of like the pixellated style.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2010, 08:13:57 pm »

yes, the pixelation makes neat small pngs, and it's a stylish way of embracing the digital media as a media on it's own right, andnot just an emulation *true* drawing

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2010, 08:21:17 pm »

HMM.

okay... come chapter two, I'll stick with the resolution that makes them look pixel-y, but I'll use a less gradient-y colouring style.

but I don't want to end up as one of those artist who excuses shoddy work with "IT'S MY STYLE THAT MAKES IT OKAY".

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2010, 08:24:14 pm »

that's as good an excuse as your style. if your had a crappy stye, it wouldnt be a very good excuse, but i think we all agree that's not the case

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2010, 08:28:20 pm »

there's always room for improvement though... I should let my skill stagnate.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2010, 08:28:25 pm »

Well, as an artist one should be ABLE to make other forms and I understand your wanting to do so.

I like some of the scratchy lines and few hanging pixels though.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2010, 08:40:31 pm »

one of my main ideas for the art in Effigies was making minor changes to the art style every chapter, actually. These alterations would reflect the different thematic moods that each chapter would pervade.

Example:

in the prologue, the world is new to the reader - the colours are very bright and vibrant, and the linework tends toward sharp shapes or vague, sweeping curves.
In chapter one, the setting should be becoming more familiar. The colour grows more subdued as natural tones take over the vivid hues of the prologue. Linework also becomes more focused on little details rather than on the big picture.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2010, 08:44:56 pm »

i support that idea an think it could work pretty well if done with subtlety

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2010, 11:11:03 pm »

SORRY BROS

update's gonna be a little late this weekend - I'm going camping tomorrow, so I'm not gonna have computer access until monday. I'll get it right done and uploaded as soon as I can once I'm back.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2010, 11:34:09 am »

Make sure you're properly armed in case of a kobold attack.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 42