Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Screw ropes and ladders! Give it to us!  (Read 24683 times)

WagglyCocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Screw ropes and ladders! Give it to us!
« on: January 17, 2010, 01:47:36 am »

For the love of god, just give us the new version. Who cares about damnable ropes!

We have bigger fish to fry. At least, that's what I hope. I'm under the impression that the new version of Dwarf Fortress will revolutionize gaming as we know it.
Sorry,
If I'm on internet forums I'm probably drunk.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
Re: Screw ropes and ladders! Give it to us!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 01:52:37 am »

We can wait a few more days. Besides, it's not like ropes and ladders are the only things left. There are other things to test and finish up.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 01:57:34 am »

I'm beginning to get anxious aswell. But, the definition of the DF development is patience. It's been in development for a whole lot of years, this version for just one. If we wait and let it marinate for another month, I'm sure it'll be so much more tender.

On the other hand, Releasing it now and getting it into people's hands may not be a bad idea, as some of the past bugs were pretty silly.(Anyone remember dwarves falling asleep...and never waking up?Or something to that effect...) Getting the bugs ironed out in this beast of a version may be tougher than we(including toady) think.
It's Dwarves not dwarfs.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 02:03:09 am »

I'd rather wait an extra week or two for something mostly functional than something rushed and hardly functional. If Toady wants to implement ropes and ladders soon, better now than a few weeks after and having the saves incompatible again.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 02:21:00 am »

Heck, I don't even know how to play this version yet.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 02:31:24 am »

Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 02:40:31 am »

It's been 16 months thus far and you wait until now to get impatient?

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 04:14:52 am »

wile i completely understand the sentiment of the OP, i do want rope ladders in this next release, since it will make building in the new cavern system so much easier. it will be finished when it is finished, whether or not i break my mouse button clicking "refresh" on the update page before then is another matter entirely.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 05:38:19 am »

I would sig this, but I dont want to get rid of my insanity line or my self-plug.

Bravo, sir.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 11:11:46 am »

I would sig this, but I dont want to get rid of my insanity line or my self-plug.

Bravo, sir.

I felt inspired since I didn't have a sig yet... so i've helped you out

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 12:46:11 pm »

After the initial release there will be a large number of bugfix releases, probably on a daily basis until things have settled down.

I also don't really understand why the save incompatibility is such a big issue. After all, how long do your fortresses really last? Between nobles, tantrum spirals, and magma, most fortresses to crumble to their doom relatively quickly. Most of the fun of a fortress is also at the start before you're well established with an army of legendary wrestlers able to kung-fu a megabeast to death in second.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 01:05:02 pm »

After the initial release there will be a large number of bugfix releases, probably on a daily basis until things have settled down.

I also don't really understand why the save incompatibility is such a big issue. After all, how long do your fortresses really last? Between nobles, tantrum spirals, and magma, most fortresses to crumble to their doom relatively quickly. Most of the fun of a fortress is also at the start before you're well established with an army of legendary wrestlers able to kung-fu a megabeast to death in second.

Toady creating the motto 'Losing Is Fun' because he didn't want people to play the fortress, he wanted you to play the world.  That means that even if the fortress falls, he wants you to start a new one in the same world(or reclaim the old one, provided it didn't have magma...dang magma reclaim bug).  So you saves should last a good while for each world...you aren't REALLY creating entire world, completely with history, and then playing one fortress before throwing that world away, are you?

And more on topic...this sort of thing is far from the only thing left.  In the Remaining Items thread, that last section with nothing greened out will take a couple weeks if we're lucky.  Probably longer.  Think of it this way, having patience gives a good product.  Having haste gives you an EAGames style gigantic amalgam of bugs that barely resembles a game(I'm looking at you, SimCitySocieties).

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 01:11:55 pm »

you aren't REALLY creating entire world, completely with history, and then playing one fortress before throwing that world away, are you?

I think we all play the game in our own way and doing this is no more doing it wrong than any other way. 
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 01:16:49 pm »

you aren't REALLY creating entire world, completely with history, and then playing one fortress before throwing that world away, are you?

I think we all play the game in our own way and doing this is no more doing it wrong than any other way. 

I'm not saying it's wrong; I'm saying it's contrary to what Toady had initially intended...granted there's seemingly very little of what we do that within what Toady intended, particularly with what modders have accomplished.

It's been 16 months thus far and you wait until now to get impatient?

I do strongly agree with this...why exactly are people whining more than when whomever that was created a thread several months back about how 40d had been out for almost a year.  You'd think that would be when it should have raised a strong fervor.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 02:43:03 pm »

I'm willing to wait for a working, properly-tested version. I regularly bitch and whine for untested, buggy game releases, and Toady has no deadline to stick to.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4