Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Screw ropes and ladders! Give it to us!  (Read 24416 times)

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Screw ropes and ladders! Give it to us!
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 02:52:24 pm »

It's been 16 months thus far and you wait until now to get impatient?

I do strongly agree with this...why exactly are people whining more than when whomever that was created a thread several months back about how 40d had been out for almost a year.  You'd think that would be when it should have raised a strong fervor.

It's because our expectations have been piqued.  I'm not trying to justify it, but the widespread impatience is easily explainable.
At last, she is done.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 03:21:05 pm »

I'm going to take a moment to review what Toady has remaining on the list at this moment.

As of right now he's finished the new creatures, and underground populations and civilizations.

And starting likely today (which he'll update tomorrow) he should be working on the underground map features and recourses. Which will including more farmable regions and likely differnet kinds of layouts for the underground. This could take several days to a week.

Following this is rope ladders which judging by Toady's blog, he's going to do it. This means making ladders that can be raised and lowered at will, making them climbable, and maybe other effect too (flamability, can you cut them, can it be hoisted with people on them ect.) That along sounds like it could be a week's worth of work maybe more.

Finally, even after he get through that. There's still finalizing the game. This includes....

Compacting files, fixing hydras, fixing the cat bug, fixing a various number of bugs based on players' request, merging the 40d## material, and finally perform a long series of test to make sure that the games doesn't die, crash or become unplayable(this one alone will probably take several weeks if some serious problems come up).

So even if you wanted rope ladder out, it would still be a good while before the game is released. Unless you wanted to play a DF game that crashes or kills your computer....

And of course no one would want that... now would they?

So in other words let's just keep waiting....the time is getting closer, but it could be another month, maybe two before it happens.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 03:22:48 pm by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 05:01:57 pm »

It's just kinda frustrating. It's so close, I can almost SMELL it.

But I do tend to tease people with things like that myself, so I can understand why.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Fastler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 05:08:32 pm »

Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
I hear if you combine them with dwarven syrup you can make rhesus pieces.

There are no Kangaroos in Austria. Trust me.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 05:12:01 pm »

Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 05:37:38 pm »

Oh the sweet, sweet, smell of Insanity.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 06:30:25 pm »

Damp hair, ozone, metal, and stomach acid. Oh, and blood.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 06:42:18 pm »

It smells like … burning.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 07:09:15 pm »

I'm willing to wait just because I'm currently working on the most dwarfy cathedral ever and I want to give this version the proper hurrah it deserves.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Pasakoye

• Bay Watcher
  • c is for SCAMPS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 07:53:57 pm »

I think he should finish ropes and ladders. If it's partially in there, then they may not be code stopping dwarfs from going to go eat and forget they are climbing one. This would probably make them fall, which would make the other 5 dwarfs on the ladder fall too. Ker-Splat!
I play as elves.
What the f*ck is wrong with you?
DF doesn't have a learning curve. It has a sheer cliff face. And you have to climb it with nothing but a keyboard.

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 09:39:23 pm »

victory
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 10:46:12 pm »

For the past few weeks I was satisfied with fiddling with my modding.  Then I became frustrated by the apparently natural secretiveness of metallurgists.  I finally, once and for all, figured out that ordinary steel and most materials called some variety of iron are made of the same thing - elemental iron mixed with varying amounts of carbon.  This greatly simplified my collection of iron-based reactions.  I was happy with that, but I then encountered several alloys called red brass, involving anywhere from two to four metals.  This caused me to suffer a fit of new-game-itus.  I am currently satisfying this by re-playing Caesar IV.  With my new graphics card, which I had to buy last summer when my old one failed, it's almost as good as a new game.

Which isn't exactly on topic, but I do want ropes and ladders.  I don't really care about waiting for another version of 40d## before the newest official version, because 40d## doesn't do anything for me as compared to 40d, but I realize that "everyone" wants it for some reason so I'm resigned to waiting for that.  The cat-mouth fix is trivial.  I don't know why that's an issue, assuming that is the cat bug in question.  Getting all the little bits in to his satisfaction will take Tarn Adams some time.  I mean, look at how long I agonized over whether cast iron should be in my mod, and whether it is a step of the process from iron ore to steel (it's not, as far as I can determine, but I will probably leave it in as a material because it is different from the other iron-based materials).  Most people just dump everything they find in other people's mods into their own, and don't spend two weeks trying to learn enough metallurgy to verify all the reactions.  If I'm that fussy over something I'll probably never actually play with, I figure Tarn Adams is even fussier because he plans to live with what he's made.   :D

I often generate a world, start one fortress in it, and delete it when I'm done unless it has lots of really good sites.  If that is the case, then I make several copies and play several fortresses simultaneously until I am tired of the whole thing.  Sometimes I just generate worlds and read the histories without ever playing in them.  I think Tarn Adams has more sense than to expect he can, or think he should even try to, control how people play the game he has written.   :)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2010, 11:00:42 pm »

Toady creating the motto 'Losing Is Fun' because he didn't want people to play the fortress, he wanted you to play the world.  That means that even if the fortress falls, he wants you to start a new one in the same world(or reclaim the old one, provided it didn't have magma...dang magma reclaim bug).  So you saves should last a good while for each world...you aren't REALLY creating entire world, completely with history, and then playing one fortress before throwing that world away, are you?

This. I've had about 8-10 forts, three that succeeded before Fun ended them, one current new one doing well, the rest were insta-fails due to bad embarks, carp, etc.  In my current fort, I STILL have engravers and artifact makers creating new artifacts with pictures of a bed from the first fort in the area, and merchants bring stuff with that bed plus other artifacts of the two forts on them too. always amuses me.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2010, 11:18:16 pm »

victory

Napalm?

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 11:21:44 pm »

Sigged, I guess.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4