Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: For science: absurd numbers in the raws  (Read 9460 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
For science: absurd numbers in the raws
« on: January 17, 2010, 03:12:10 am »

These things might not apply to the new release coming out soon, but here's some of what I found out by putting some absurd numbers into the raws:

• All things to do with money/wealth seem to use signed 32 bit integers, meaning that both a single object's value, total fortress wealth, and total trading value/profit can't be any more than 2,147,483,647☼ before it wraps around to a negative number.
  • Buying a 10☼ copper bar from the merchants for 2,000,000,000☼ worth of stone crafts doesn't cause anything weird or amusing to happen. :(
  • If you make the material and/or item value of some things negative, the items will end up having negative value, and you can then get an unlimited amount of supplies on the embark screen, since "buying" something with a negative value gives you more points.
  • If the total value of what you're buying from a merchant is negative, then they'll think you don't have any of their goods selected, so nothing will hapen.  However, if you mix in enough positively valued items so that the total is positive but small, you can then buy out their entire caravan for 50☼.
    • The minimum value for which merchants will sell leg-wear, hand-wear, shields, crafts and threads is 1☼, regardless of how low its actual value is.
  • The minimum weight a single object can have is 1Γ, regardless of putting negative weights or densities into the raws.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: For science: absurd numbers in the raws
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 10:31:01 am »

And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 11:14:00 am »

So does this explain why, when I traded multiple extremely high value, 1000 count stacks of masterful dwarf milk roasts, the trader became unhappy and immediately left?

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 11:48:28 am »

So does this explain why, when I traded multiple extremely high value, 1000 count stacks of masterful dwarf milk roasts, the trader became unhappy and immediately left?

They weren't elves were they?
It's Dwarves not dwarfs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 12:31:47 pm »

Did this actually happen?  If not, it's a good jest.  Food value is so ridiculous.
Like Zerox suggested, make sure they weren't elves.  Although elves will buy any food, they'll go crazy if it was in wooden barrels.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 02:27:43 pm »

or contains any meat... I think...
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 02:33:31 pm »

Interesting. How many items did you test the minimum trader value of? Also, does "legwear" include socks and shoes, or just pants? Similarly, is "crafts" literal crafts or does it include toys and such?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 04:17:57 pm »

or contains any meat... I think...

Negative. I have on several occasions traded elves chunks of still-bloody meat.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 05:23:41 pm »

Interesting. How many items did you test the minimum trader value of? Also, does "legwear" include socks and shoes, or just pants? Similarly, is "crafts" literal crafts or does it include toys and such?

That was just with one caravan.  They didn't have any socks, just pants/leggings, and the crafts were idols and... trying to remember... either a scepter or jewelry.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 07:22:28 pm »

And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.
Then you're not doing it right :P
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 10:54:00 pm »

Melt an elf so much that his total mass becomes a negative number and burns him backward through time!

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 03:16:18 pm »

I recall an instance when my brother was doing some "modding" for DF.

This "modding" involved catsplosions, of the thermonuclear kind. He added something ridiculous like 150 zeros to the body temperature of cats. When the smoke cleared, there was literally nothing left.

Upon closer inspection, it was discovered that the burning cats exploded, ignited the dwarves, incinerated the dwarves, burned up their clothing, and wore down the bones in the space of less than 100 frames.

Magma does not wear down bones that fast, so in conclusion, higher temperatures burn stuff faster.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 03:24:24 pm »

It would be sort of hilarious to mod a masterpiece chair to have a temperature just barely high enough to ignite dorfs, with pools of water near it such that every time someone tried to sit in it they would catch on fire and (hopefully) jump into the water. Not that I have any idea how such things work and if that's even feasible.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 03:25:57 pm »

I'm so sigging this.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 04:15:41 pm »

Melt an elf so much that his total mass becomes a negative number and burns him backward through time!
Somebody needs to build a Large Elf Collider.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!
Pages: [1] 2