Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Contest: Big red lever of doom  (Read 23007 times)

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
Re: Contest: Big red lever of doom
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2010, 03:39:39 pm »

I'm afraid I'm out, school's been busy... I'm only ~1 year in...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2010, 07:54:07 pm »

Ha, never mind about losing my mechanic. I lost a low-level mechanic, but my original one is still alive.

(Also, lamest artifact ever: an Adamantine earring.)
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2010, 05:52:16 am »

Sorry, just couldn't spend enough time on it, probably near the turn of years 2 and 3, and my autobackup doesn't seem to be working.

I tend to agree with that, but for people who like fortress wealth the lamest artefact would probably have to be a woodcraft...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2010, 05:35:48 pm »

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2010, 02:41:27 am »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2010, 11:48:48 am »

Here's a short vid of my fort collapsing and one after the dust clears.

That was great.  8)

So much more epic with a full level of lava to fall into rather than just the one corner.  Shame that once it was filling the second Z (to overflow the wall) there wasn't enough in-flow.  I figured a 3 wide passage was enough.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2010, 02:30:56 pm »

I am sorry to say that I will be withdrawing from the contest. I did a test-pull of the lever at year six, and it was a complete flop. I had expected a tidal wave of magma, but the disappointing trickle that issued forth killed just enough dwarves to cause a mini tantrum spiral.

I built a gigantic serpent head that I planned to have magma pouring out of, but one pump didn't cut it. I'll have to use five or six next time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

However, I am currently drawing a comic that I will post here. It will be a depiction of the hilariously tragic history of my fort. I'll post it when it's done, for your amusement.

Congratulations to the few people who managed to actually submit entries.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2010, 11:44:45 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TROGDOR! it is TROGDOR! all it needs is an ARM!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2010, 12:51:09 am »

As promised, here are the chronicles of "Beergut." IN CARTOON FORM.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/tedtheviking/Doodles/Beergut.png

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2010, 02:49:21 am »

Hahaha! You just made my night. I'm not a judge, but I would seriously consider your entry anyway on the strength of "good try" and that cartoon. Wish I'd been able to join the contest myself, but it runs so slowly on my computer that I'm still only on year 5 of my original fort that I started over a year ago.

I'm just going to sit over here and giggle for a bit while I wait for my dwarves to take a step.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2010, 04:26:43 pm »

I was -way- too late to even sign up for this, and I don't quite have the fortress building skills (or the ambition) to do this, but I had an idea...

First, make the standard fortress held up by only a single support, but in this case, the big red lever of doom is NOT going to be hooked up to the support.  Instead, hook the lever up to another support that, when removed, will cause a cave-in over the majority of the fortress's masterpieces.  This should cause tantrums.  Now, if the wiki lever article is correct about tantruming dwarves pulling levers, then put a lever in the meeting area and hook it up to the bottom support.  If a tantruming dwarf will pull levers like the article says, then SOMEONE should eventually pull it without you telling them to do so.  Use high-value mechanisms to make it look like something to make dwarves happy, so that it is as seemingly innocuous as possible.

If tantruming dwarves will NOT pull levers (or if you just don't want to involve another lever), then instead put your meeting area somewhere above the critical support, then have another support in the meeting area that, when knocked over, will cause a cave-in that punches through all the layers of the fort below it then knocks out the floor that is being held up by the bottom support, causing the rest of the fort to collapse.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]