Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Contest: Big red lever of doom  (Read 22989 times)

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: Contest: Big red lever of doom
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 01:48:04 pm »

Sounds nice. I guess i would participate since i always wanted to seriously fuck my dwarves on purpose.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 01:49:44 pm »

I know this probably wouldn't be worth too many points because it's so slow, but I think it'd be interesting if you could make a tantrum spiral happen because of a lever pull.

speed is only worth 5 points,  while subtlety complexity and originality are all worth 10 each. If you can make happy dwarves suicide as a result of a lever I'd say go for it

Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 01:54:55 pm »

Btw. Do we have to play 7 dwarf years?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 03:01:09 pm »

Yes.

I've tried twice now to do my desctructo fort, but the first time I had an aquifer and not a magma pipe (essentially making the location impossible to suspend over a pit) and the second ended early as I accidentally channeled the magma pipe early.

I have dwarves modded to have speed 10, so each attempt is only taking a few minutes.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 03:03:30 pm by Draco18s »

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 03:16:49 pm »

Should probably add something in the rules about whether or not turning off features (invaders, cave-ins, the economy, etc.) is allowed.  It's just vague enough now that someone might make an easy go of it.

So, how would I design it?  Perhaps a meeting zone on a precarious bridge where all the pets meet up, above a magma pipe that provides central heating to the fortress halls through a series of well-placed tunnels and floodgates.  And of course, a cooling system was also designed but someone forgot to install the grates for the individual rooms.  Good thing they dammed up the main cistern, or the whole place would have flooded by now!  And then there's the prisons, where many savage animals and siege victims are kept: strangely, that's in the center of the stockpile tower, which is the hub of the entire fortress.  Of course, the most odd design decision of all was when they built a giant glass canopy over the surface level of the fortress to block out the hated sun, yet only supported it with a series of fragile glass pillars...  The massive number of indoor spike traps are also a bit suspect, especially how they're built at random, but Urist McLeader insists that a good fortress defense requires unpredictable offense.  And yet, nobody's ever seen a trigger to get those spikes to pop up.

Would be a terrible pity if anybody were to link all that up to a single lever.  It'd be even worse if someone pulled that lever.
Sanity is for the weak.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 03:56:06 pm »

And destroy every masterpiece and artefact at once.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 04:23:55 pm »

Yes.

Oh, i could hardly think of less boring things.  :-\

Well, sacrifices are to be made.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 04:29:23 pm by Lordinquisitor »

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 05:08:55 pm »

Look at the seven year requirement as an excuse to make the deathtrap more elaborate than you could manage otherwise.  Have it be a true-blue ever-evolving self-destruct mechanism instead of a simple "pull it and one thing happens that ruins everything else" device.  That's the whole idea behind this contest, to test your creativity.
Sanity is for the weak.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 05:13:28 pm »

Alright. I`m already giddy with excitement. I have so many ideas, i might as well build them all in my fort. Poor dorfs.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 05:16:54 pm »

And, attempt 3: just lost my clerk/leader/mechanic.  DAMN.

I had auto-save on, but not autobackup.  Was unable to successfully ressurect him via Dwarf Manager.  Buggerall.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 08:51:59 pm »

So is everyone to stat building their fort on the 24th or right now?
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 11:07:35 pm »

I think I'll give this a shot! Sounds like it may be a lot of fun.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 02:47:20 pm »

So is everyone to stat building their fort on the 24th or right now?

Right now.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 03:27:53 pm »

While i'm not going to stop anyone from starting now,  the three weeks doesn't start untill the 24th so that there's a full week for contestants to sign up and theres a chance that the judges might decide  to change some the  rules before then.  Also i'd like to see screenshots and seed info for everybodys embark locations so i can see what everybody is working with.

To clarify some questions altering properties is modding and therefore not allowed in this contest.  As for the time limit, part of the challenge is getting the dwarves to survive in a deliberately designed deathtrap for 7 years  with the whims of nobles,  seiges, freezes,  whiny hippies, megafauna,  and whatever else happens,   of course all of these could possibly be intigrated into your trap design.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 01:41:36 pm »

Spoiler: Gen Params (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Location (click to show/hide)

I haven't actually embarked yet, so I don't know what the local map'll actually be like, but it's supposed to be fairly hilly. I'll probably start Sunday night or Monday afternoon.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9