Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblinite?  (Read 1842 times)

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblinite?
« on: January 17, 2010, 06:46:40 pm »

My wooden, above ground fort is going pretty well, and my FPS has started to slow down from the heaps of narrow goblin chain mail sitting on the map. The traders can only take so much, and I simply CANT GET my dwarves to melt the stupid stuff into bars. I have 10 or 20 test sets of armor in a stockpile (they were moved despite the 'melt' designation) sitting, un-forbidden, and marked for melting, with heaps of charcoal everywhere (no digging=no magma), and no dwarf will even touch them. I used Dwarf Manager to set a dwarf to every metal job listed and he didn't do anything. How do I melt the cursed stuff?
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblinite?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 06:52:34 pm »

You'll need to have a dwarf with "Furnace Burning" enabled, and you'll need to build a Smelter. With the smelter, make sure you have a "melt metal object" job designated.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 06:59:00 pm »

Ah, I'm stupid. *facepalm*

Thanks.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 07:12:58 pm »

I did that the other day, it happens.
*facepalm x2*
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 11:29:05 pm »

You'll need to have a dwarf with "Furnace Burning" enabled, and you'll need to build a Smelter. With the smelter, make sure you have a "melt metal object" job designated.

Furnace Operating.
Wood Burning.

You want the first of those.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 12:04:31 am »

And make sure the armor isn't forbidden