Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Silly drowning squads  (Read 2697 times)

lvk

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry gopher!
    • View Profile
Silly drowning squads
« on: January 17, 2010, 02:18:03 pm »

I get bothered by rhesus macaque. A lot. As a result, I tend to send my military after them, with harass wild animals turned on. Then they decide carp is also a wild animal, and jump in the water to kill it. After that they realize they can't swim, and drown. I had two legendary(!) wrestlers die this way, and a miner.

I'd love to teach my military dwarves how to swim, but I can't figure out how to properly do it (even with the wiki page about it). Or is there another way to make my military not jump in the water?

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Silly drowning squads
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 02:28:06 pm »

Easy: Marksdwarfs
Medium: Airdrown the demon fish.
Hard: Station military in drowning chamber to level swimming, then wrestle carps to death.
At last, she is done.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 02:37:15 pm »

Hard: Station military in drowning chamber to level swimming, then wrestle carps to death.

Dwarven: Magma.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

lvk

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry gopher!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 03:23:50 pm »

Yeah, that's the option that isn't working properly. I like my axedwarves and airdrowning carp in a river's gonna be difficult.

My location sucks so it doesn't have magma.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 04:39:02 pm »

Well, you can always station them in a room, and then use your favorite method to fill that room with water.  I like manual screwpumps: it's easy to get exactly the amount of water you need.  Just be sure they're somewhere you can drain the water easily if you need.

Also, I remember a thread about a mist generator that was said to have the side effect of leveling up swimming, but I haven't tested that myself.
At last, she is done.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 04:42:51 pm »

Well, you can always station them in a room, and then use your favorite method to fill that room with water.  I like manual screwpumps: it's easy to get exactly the amount of water you need.  Just be sure they're somewhere you can drain the water easily if you need.

Also, I remember a thread about a mist generator that was said to have the side effect of leveling up swimming, but I haven't tested that myself.
Waterfalls in a room do that.
I prefer dining room. Use grates for floors anywhere you don't have a table/chair. The source must be above the room, coming down RIGHT over every place of the grates. Dwarves will get swimming exp. when they walk over the grates.
Wow, I know more about this than I thought!
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 11:05:00 pm »

You sir! you sir are a true dwarf indeed!
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 11:18:09 pm »

You sir! you sir are a true dwarf indeed!
Amen
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 12:57:39 am »

Gnomish - Construct a building to drop a caged dragon into the river to slaughter all the carp.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

lvk

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry gopher!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 01:23:19 am »

The source must be above the room, coming down RIGHT over every place of the grates.
Excuse me for asking, but how can I make sure it's coming down all over the dining room rather than just one tile?

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 01:28:43 am »

Yes, the mist generator that worked by continually pumping a single square of water around in a circle does that if you station military dwarves underneath one of the squares that the water drops into...unfortunately, I don't have a link to the thread either. :(

KG

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 02:13:26 am »

Yeah, that's the option that isn't working properly. I like my axedwarves and airdrowning carp in a river's gonna be difficult.
It's not that difficult. I've gotten it down to a fine science, and a method which is also extremely useful for damming rivers. It's something similar to the drain method, but simpler and superior as far as I understand it.
Dig a chamber underneath the river, at least two tiles wide and as long as you like. Channel out one side of this chamber, and put grates over the open space. If you intend to dam this river, build a raising bridge on the other tiles, so that it blocks water flow when activated. One level below that, dig out a chamber reaching to the map edge and carve fortifications in it. If you have a chasm/bottomless pit available, you can use that instead. When all this is prepared, head to the chamber below the river and carve ramps or otherwise breach the river bottom, causing the entire river to drain into your chamber; this will airdrown carp in the river proper, and any carp which fall down the ramps will be caught on the grates, where they will also airdrown. Diagram below.
Code: [Select]
|x|
|.|____
|.#####| Grates ^
|[====]| Bridge | Water flow.
|vvvvvv| Ramps  |
Requires nothing more impressive than a few mechanisms, a bridge, and some grates, nothing that can't be made quickly and easily, and the river drains PDQ.

It requires more materiel than the drain method outlined on the wiki, but it's faster and easier, IMHO, and does not require fiddling around with pumps that I still don't perfectly understand.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 02:22:52 am by darthbob88 »

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 02:21:29 am »

The source must be above the room, coming down RIGHT over every place of the grates.
Excuse me for asking, but how can I make sure it's coming down all over the dining room rather than just one tile?

There has to be a room identical in size to your dining room, right above it. For every spot that you have a grate in your dining room, there must be a channel in the identical room above it. Don't forget to have a way to drain it from beneath your dining room.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...