Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd miner death?  (Read 10820 times)

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Odd miner death?
« on: January 17, 2010, 02:43:28 pm »

I designated a bridge, then dug a ramp under it. It squashed my miner. I tried it again, it did it again.

Is this new, or should I know not to do that?
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

Horseplank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Odd miner death?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 02:53:07 pm »

You are two times the fool, sir; learn from your mistakes and spare your miners any more senseless crushing!  :'(
The Wolf's head flies off in a bloody arc!

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 03:15:37 pm »

But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 03:28:02 pm »

I think I'm just going to copy-and-paste that response into every thread on this forum. It'll never be off-topic.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 03:36:54 pm »

Sig'd... it's like the essence of df (aside from "MAGMA!")

Anyway, I think it's a very similar phenomenon to miners dying when digging ramps under trees. If there are certain objects above ramp designations, miners die... now let's do some more science to find out, which objects are deadly and which aren't.

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 04:31:40 pm »

Sig'd... it's like the essence of df (aside from "MAGMA!")

/bow

However, it wasn't an actual bridge. Just a bridge blueprint, I don't think the architect had even seen to it yet.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 04:34:36 pm »

It's still there as a bridge. Retract it first.

Or just DIG first.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Huin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 05:39:39 pm »

I would hypothesise that the bridge was preventing removal of the ground square by digging. When that square became isolated (i.e unsupported), it fell naturally. The miner would likely have been underneath, and whammo.

I've heard a report of it happening when the ground above is a stockpile, as well, not just trees - bridges is new to me. I'm guessing that it's any type of thing that can't be dug.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 06:47:45 pm »

Yeah, I had a weird bridge experience once. My obsidian factory-slash-noble execution chamber was built in two levels, with level one being the "flood it with magma" level and level two being the "fill it with water" level. There was a retracting bridge separating the two. Noble goes in, pulls own lever of doom, magma fills room until noble feels all warm inside. Dorf who totally had nothing to do with it, seriously comes along later and pulls another lever, bridge retracts, water falls, magma in room hardens into obsidian. Carve it out and wait for the next uppity noble with a yen for star iron, of all things.

Only I couldn't do anything to remove the obsidian "floor" that formed between the two levels. Even with the bridge retracted, nothing worked. I couldn't channel it from the water level, couldn't ramp it from the magma level. I suppose if I'd been able to cut the connections to the walls somehow, it would've caved in on me.

The fix, obviously, was to build it in three levels, which I guess is something everybody who's ever built a water-dumping magma farm has known forever. But I had to learn the hard way.

Bridges are weird.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 07:06:40 pm »

Just say no to ramps.  All kinds of wierd stuff happens with them.
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 07:13:35 pm »

Ramps do have their advantages... rarely, but still.

What? You're saying the bridge wasn't even built yet, just designated? That's really strange. I know about retracted bridges still being there and blocking the tiles they were on (a restriction of the current building system), but this is the first time I heard of plan to build something killing a dorf... must've been a mighty good plan. True dwarven engineering ;D

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 07:27:26 pm »

I would hypothesise that the bridge was preventing removal of the ground square by digging.

[...]

I've heard a report of it happening when the ground above is a stockpile, as well, not just trees - bridges is new to me. I'm guessing that it's any type of thing that can't be dug.

This is an Alrenous-approved hypothesis. Though of course testing it means murdering more dwarves...

Ramps do have their advantages... rarely, but still.

Specifically, safer than channelling when carving out 3D vaulted dining halls. Unless bridge.

What? You're saying the bridge wasn't even built yet, just designated? That's really strange. I know about retracted bridges still being there and blocking the tiles they were on (a restriction of the current building system), but this is the first time I heard of plan to build something killing a dorf... must've been a mighty good plan. True dwarven engineering ;D

One of my dwarves decided to play a practical joke on another dwarf. I'm sure his corpse was very good-natured about it.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 08:12:29 pm »

Specifically, safer than channelling when carving out 3D vaulted dining halls. Unless bridge.

And carved stairs are superior in that instance. I'm with WTF. Just say no.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 12:15:33 am »

This is an Alrenous-approved hypothesis. Though of course testing it means murdering more dwarves...

I just did a little test, and it appears that just about anything designated to be built will prohibit ramps from channeling the floor below them.  and I didn't have to kill a single dwarf to find out ;P
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.