Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cats and death  (Read 1062 times)

DFAddict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cats and death
« on: January 17, 2010, 06:37:01 pm »

Hey I'm trying to breed up a large base of cats for meat and leather. I seem to have hit a population cap though. Is there a limit of many cats appear in the game at once? I think I have around 60-70 right now.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cats and death
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 07:20:54 pm »

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere of an animal limit of 50 per species. That is, you can have a maximum of 50 cats alive at any time (and 50 dogs, 50 one-humped camels, 50 two-humped camels, 50 grizzly bears and so on...)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Ravenplucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 08:16:49 pm »

How do you solve the problem of the cats adopting dwarves?

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 08:25:44 pm »

Animal pregnancies will stop once the population of a single species reaches a certain limit.  It seems like 50 from my experience.  That means you'll need to breed two or more species if you want more animals.

Also: cats are bad for breeding.  Aside from the whole adoption problem, they just don't yield that much in meat, bones, and fat.  Dogs are better, and you probably have those around anyway.  Camels and bears are much better for breeding, and the stacks of 40 camel bone bolts are fantastic.
At last, she is done.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 09:50:54 pm »

I can testify that elephants are great for breeding, if you can catch and tame at least one female.

(This is with Dig Deeper. I don't know if it changes the default elephant or not.)

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 09:58:34 pm »

What about Unicorns? I have like 8 of them in my fort (chained in a certain building, not caged) and they aren't doing anything.

How do I get them to make baby unicorns?

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 09:59:11 pm »

I can't remember. If I keep animals caged do they still reproduce via spores or whatever? I don't want all my animals running around, but I want them to breed.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 10:18:28 pm »

I can't remember. If I keep animals caged do they still reproduce via spores or whatever? I don't want all my animals running around, but I want them to breed.
No. Try throwing them into a 1X1 pit with a locked door. They'll have an orgy without being able to path, reducing lag.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 10:42:30 pm »

If they were pregnant when they went in they'll give birth, but they won't get pregnant while in cages.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 11:15:18 pm »

Unicorns don't breed and can't be tamed, to my knowledge.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 11:19:00 pm »

Unicorns don't breed and can't be tamed, to my knowledge.

Not unless you mod them to breed and be tameable.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 11:55:18 pm »

Yeah, that's what I meant. I've given them [PET_EXOTIC], but I'm not sure what allows them to breed.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 11:57:42 pm »

Yeah, that's what I meant. I've given them [PET_EXOTIC], but I'm not sure what allows them to breed.

The [PET_EXOTIC] tag means that they won't breed (and can't be tamed onsite) until your Dungeon Master arrives.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 12:32:49 pm »

What allows them to breed is rather simple, actually: [CHILD:[insert number here]] and optionally [BABY:[insert number here]]
Creatures must give birth to a baby or child. Those two tags indicate the age at which a child turns into an adult and a baby turns into a child respectively...so, if you've got [CHILD:2] and [BABY:1] then the mother will give birth to a baby which will become a child when it's one year old, then turn into an adult when it's two years old. In vanilla DF, the baby tag is virtually unused. Dwarves etc. have it, of course, but no animals have it. I don't know if it's possible for a mother to give birth if there's a baby tag but no child tag. If neither tag is present, the mother will never give birth.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 12:40:19 pm »

Talking of which, I looked at the raws once to see what makes carp so … carpy. I saw that they've got a "child" tag, but I never see them breed in the wild. Hippos, on the other hand, breed like mad; spawning "hippo has given birth to a hippo calf" messages all the time. What's the difference there?
Pages: [1] 2