Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MilAdmin  (Read 1843 times)

Waladil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
MilAdmin
« on: January 18, 2010, 08:36:20 am »

I was reflecting on the two "great banes" of military in DF as it is now (unmodded).
1.) A nervous-system wounded dwarf is pretty much useless in the military, and if they are champions then they can never be released from the military job (I have seen this happen).
2.) If the squad leader gets distracted and wanders off to drink, eat, or sleep, then the entire squad leaves. This can obviously be bad if they're waiting for a bunch of siegers to attack or something.
My solution: Military Administrators! Essentially, a soldier who doesn't participate in combat, but counts as a leader so that the other dwarves do their jobs. Since he isn't combat-military, it would be a good place to stash your nervous-wounded dwarves, so they are still serving, but their low combat skills from no sparring wont screw everyone up.
What I was thinking that would be interesting, is if the admin was required, perhaps 1 per 10 dwarves in a squad, and they also function as a quartermaster, by carrying needed equipment to the barracks (or other defined military pickup) so you could better manage what your dwarves were using and to prevent the soldiers from doing it during battle.
Also, one could make it a skill, and have a bonus come from having a good administrator(s) running squads, probably a speed boost, combat boost, or exp boost.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: MilAdmin
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 09:13:06 am »

The military system has been completely revamped for the next version, and both of your "great banes" should no longer be a concern.  You can view the changelist here.

Waladil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MilAdmin
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 09:51:20 am »

Hmm... good point. Although to soothe my ego, I have to correct you slightly; Most of my suggestions are being implemented in one way or another (I.E. "Appointee to handle individual equipment overrides, automation of equipment upgrades, as well as training supplies.") ("Associated skills for leading/teaching.") I did read through that at one point, just not as thoroughly as I thought I had. Oh well. Sorry for wastin ya'll's time.