Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24

Author Topic: The Ark Project - Help Wanted  (Read 67688 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
The Ark Project - Help Wanted
« on: January 18, 2010, 05:17:59 pm »

The Ark Project is a community-wide effort (founded by Rainseeker and Lancensis) to increase the number and variety of DF's real-life animals.  Everyone is welcome to participate!

Here's our home on the wiki.

Currently we're making baby steps toward implementing specific creatures, particularly in the Arachnids section, but the emphasis is still on listing animals and implementing high-level creature variations.

Where is help most needed?

How do I get involved?

To learn about creature modding in the next version, check out:

This post will be updated as the project evolves.  The previous thread is here.  Thanks for helping out!

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:05:48 pm by Footkerchief »

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
Re: The Ark Project - Help Wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 06:13:24 pm »

This is really going to add a lot of depth to adventure and fortress mode both.  The more help we get the better!
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 08:42:12 pm »

On the previous thread, concerning UK/American spelling, I was essentially told: "Do it yourself."

The problem is that there has be some consensus for this. Where do I put the information on the UK spelling?
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 09:05:34 pm »

On the previous thread, concerning UK/American spelling, I was essentially told: "Do it yourself."

The problem is that there has be some consensus for this. Where do I put the information on the UK spelling?

In the other thread, you mentioned the possibility of using an InfoRapid script to do spelling substitutions.  I also found a couple existing utilities for American/British spelling conversion -- respell and VarCon.  It would be helpful if you looked into these approaches (and any others you find) to determine what'll work best for us (I don't know if those utilities will have many animal names).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:07:05 pm by Footkerchief »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 10:18:17 pm »

Molluscs now have their own page and I added a bunch of cephalopods to it.

edit: holy hell, gastropod taxonomy is a mess

edit 2: I worked through the rest of the decapods, although I got lazy and only included a single generic shrimp.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 11:19:27 pm by Footkerchief »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 12:12:11 am »

If anyone is doing spiders can I suggest you please try to include some more generic spiders everyday spiders?

Also I find it hillarious that Footkerchief and L-guy lists all forms of bugs (I am sorry but I call all creepy crawlies bugs) under insects.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 12:26:55 am »

If anyone is doing spiders can I suggest you please try to include some more generic spiders everyday spiders?

Go for it!

Also I find it hillarious that Footkerchief and L-guy lists all forms of bugs (I am sorry but I call all creepy crawlies bugs) under insects.

Huh?  As far as I know, everything on our insect page is a member of the class Insecta.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 12:28:19 am »

Really? Well I don't doubt your right but it goes against what I was taught in school

In that you can identify a insect by 6 legs and 3 body segments or something like that.

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 02:04:58 am »

As far as I know, everything on that page has six legs, and exoskeleton, and possibly three  body segments (harder to tell).
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 11:23:21 am »

As far as I know, everything on that page has six legs, and exoskeleton, and possibly three  body segments (harder to tell).

Your right, no more Spiders or Scorpians in that section.

Though to be truthful I didn't mind. I just found it funny

Though oddly enough I am having trouble finding insects off of the main section.

Ohh do we want ALL the families of Beetles? I guess Ill post all of them

Edit addition: NEVERMIND! There are at least over a hundred beetle families. While I want at LEAST 100 Beetles (and Butterflys/moths) there are enough in here to make an individual insect ark. I think we may actually need an insect limit.

All Insect Families in Spoiler

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:21:19 pm by Neonivek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 03:55:55 pm »

Neonivek, I hope you didn't go through the trouble of making that list manually...  I put that link in the beetle section so that other contributors wouldn't miss it.

If you check the history for the insect page, I've been listing beetle taxa as I work through them, so that other people can know to avoid them.  It would be helpful if other people working on beetles do the same.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 04:08:35 pm by Footkerchief »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 04:40:37 pm »

I finished working through all the beetle families that seemed worth including.  Neonivek, feel free to add any additional beetles to those families, or create a new family for them if I left it out.

Also, I got the crustaceans to a more-or-less finished state.  Thanks go to Aqizzar, who did a thorough job on the true crabs, which account for about half of the crustaceans we have now.  Each of the following taxa got only a single representative: tanaids, hooded shrimp, krill, fairy shrimp, clam shrimp, water fleas, copepods, barnaces.  Any enthusiasts should feel free to add more.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 04:50:23 pm by Footkerchief »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 05:32:04 pm »

Unfortunately I was crazy enough to write that list out manually...

Also interestingly enough the Blister Beatle can be deadly if you eat it (Horses too) and it is used as a Aphrodesiac.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 05:50:16 pm by Neonivek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 06:12:08 pm »

Within suborder Apocrita, I finished superfamilies Apoidea and Chrysidoidea, plus family Formicidae.  That means the bees and ants are done, although there are lots of wasps left.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 06:19:27 pm »

Yep my Goal of 100 Beetles, 100 Butterfly's and Moths will be underway soon.

Which means I am planning on adding a total of 200 creatures... Hmm that seems like a lot.

At this point I am seriously starting to think Vermin should have sizes so the game can tell the difference between a Silverfish and Goliath Beetle.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 06:21:59 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24