Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24

Author Topic: The Ark Project - Help Wanted  (Read 68198 times)

Gorobay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ark Project - Help Wanted
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2010, 10:16:32 am »

The wiki is a good place for keeping raws. At the top of each subpage (like /Lizards or /Insects) there could be a CREATURE_VARIATION to be applied to everything on that page. We could also use wiki templates to standardize the layout and internal syntax of the pages, to make it easier for your proposed raws compiler script to work.

About sea creatures: if there were too many, wouldn't they eat each other and keep the population down?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:18:18 am by Gorobay »

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2010, 11:19:57 am »

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2010, 11:25:48 am »

About sea creatures: if there were too many, wouldn't they eat each other and keep the population down?

They don't eat each other yet.  Unfortunately, sea and lake creatures may be a problem.  It may behoove us to turn off breeding for them at the moment, or greatly slow it down.  What is the consensus on this?
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Pizdzius

• Bay Watcher
  • Piz, Engraver - Attending Ark Project
    • View Profile
    • My webcomic
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2010, 11:26:59 am »

I'm not into programming the raws, but for me it looks clear and it's pretty good. Does making it take long?

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2010, 11:39:55 am »

I'm not into programming the raws
That doesn't really matter.  Everything means pretty much what it sounds, and the work is more in research than understanding the raws.  Biomes are chosen from the list on the wiki, prefstrings go into personality profiles as reasons for liking a creature, and time units are years.

Does making it take long?
Not very, but I wouldn't want to do more than 10 or 20 in a sitting with that level of detail.  Wikipedia and EOL typically had all the info I needed, and the missing info can be guessed pretty easily.  Making HTML tables can be time consuming, but I made it in excel and emailed it to myself.  That way I could view it in HTML on gmail and copy the source code to the wiki.

Pizdzius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My webcomic
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2010, 12:18:50 pm »

Great! It's also great that Toady helped to make it faster. I don't think I can help you with that, the more people, the more chaos, but if I have to make graphics with some sort of organized chart, give a sign. I know I can start making genuine creatures, but I still don't know about the sizes of templates.

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2010, 12:39:52 pm »

I don't think I can help you with that, the more people, the more chaos.
No, help would definitely be easy to provide and valuable.  Just like with making the original lists, anyone can claim a list that seems to be complete, do the research, and throw in a table.  Most lists are less than 20 entries, making each fairly manageable individually.  However there are several hundred creatures already listed, and I would need other people to help me do this.

Pizdzius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My webcomic
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2010, 01:02:44 pm »

I never even edited a wiki entry, I prefer not to touch this to not ruin your work ;D

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2010, 01:11:41 pm »

Editing a wiki is easy too, especially if you're cutting and pasting.  That way you don't have to even think about HTML code.  I understand you're offering your own specialty to this project, I just wanted to emphasize that this is really easy, if time consuming.  Support from anyone who is interested is always appreciated, and if we need to put up instructions and a basic guide to raws, that should not be a problem.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2010, 02:27:15 pm »

We should probably put up a link to the discussion I had about this with Tarn.  You can hear it here: 

http://www.bay12games.com/media/Creature%20Tags.mp3

Would you mind putting this up on the first post, Foot?
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2010, 02:43:02 pm »

That talk refers to the raws of the following dwarf.  It may be useful to add this as well:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, Toady mentions that the units for the size variables are cubic centimeters...how should we be translating creature info into size?  If we have the weight, should we simplify by assuming that all creatures have the same density as water and assume that each gram = 1 size unit?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 02:48:30 pm by Zantan »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2010, 03:03:33 pm »

They don't eat each other yet.  Unfortunately, sea and lake creatures may be a problem.  It may behoove us to turn off breeding for them at the moment, or greatly slow it down.  What is the consensus on this?

Is the concern that seaside fortresses will get population booms in the water?  All of our r-selected species will have fudged numbers anyway -- DF doesn't model their life cycle at all yet.  Greatly slowing it down is fine with me.

I just threw together a table for the lemurs.  How does it look?  http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User_talk:Lancensis/Mammals#Strepsirrhini_.28lemurs_and_lorises.29

Ah, yeah, this is what I was talking about when I said "The main thing I want to avoid in any such approach is having our own data storage format that requires manual translation into raw entries."  The prefstring is the only column there that could be automatically converted to raws.  If we have tables like that throughout the wiki, then it'll be as if we have to update two sets of raws, not one, and it won't be clear which one is authoritative, or what changes need to be transferred.

Also, EOL seems like a really annoying site -- if people want to link that as their info source, okay, but I hope nobody starts replacing wikipedia links with EOL links just on principle.

We probably need to store the raws directly in the wiki, which means a table with four-ish columns: name, info link, raws text (in some kind of show/hide box), and completion status.  Any notes about the creature can be put into the raws text, where they'll remain as comments alongside the actual tags.  Gorobay, you mentioned MediaWiki templates -- that'll probably be necessary, do you have any experience with those?

I guess I should remind everyone that it's essentially premature to enter data for indiv. lemurs before the lemurs' template is ready.  There's a substantial risk that we'll have to just throw out premature raws because correcting them would take more work than making them from scratch.  So only work on that if you're absolutely unwilling to work on more pressing needs, like making templates or expanding the list itself (which is still very far from complete).

We should probably put up a link to the discussion I had about this with Tarn.  You can hear it here: 

http://www.bay12games.com/media/Creature%20Tags.mp3

Would you mind putting this up on the first post, Foot?
That talk refers to the raws of the following dwarf.  It may be useful to add this as well:

Alright, I'll throw those in, and the cougar link as well.  Later those links will be part of a full set of guidelines for making creature raws, like the current "How do I add a creature to the list?" thing.

Great! It's also great that Toady helped to make it faster. I don't think I can help you with that, the more people, the more chaos, but if I have to make graphics with some sort of organized chart, give a sign. I know I can start making genuine creatures, but I still don't know about the sizes of templates.

Hmm... it's not really feasible to put sprites on the wiki as individual 16x16 images.  It'd just be a pain and someone would have to reassemble them into sprite sheets later.  I guess my recommendation would be to just start making sprite sheets -- maybe one sheet per wiki page, roughly?  You can post them in this thread to keep us updated, of course.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 03:08:39 pm by Footkerchief »

Gorobay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2010, 03:38:17 pm »

I just threw together a table for the lemurs.  How does it look?  http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User_talk:Lancensis/Mammals#Strepsirrhini_.28lemurs_and_lorises.29
I just changed the table to use wiki syntax, which is far less verbose and far easier to read.

We probably need to store the raws directly in the wiki, which means a table with four-ish columns: name, info link, raws text (in some kind of show/hide box), and completion status.  Any notes about the creature can be put into the raws text, where they'll remain as comments alongside the actual tags.  Gorobay, you mentioned MediaWiki templates -- that'll probably be necessary, do you have any experience with those?
Yes, indeed I do. I could create it right now. What should I call it? "Template:Ark"?

Alright, I'll throw those in, and the cougar link as well.  Later those links will be part of a full set of guidelines for making creature raws, like the current "How do I add a creature to the list?" thing.
There's the fluffy wambler too.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2010, 04:04:31 pm »

The reason why there won't be too many creatures all eating eachother (BEYOND the fact that all creatures currently live in perpetual harmony) is that it isn't how the game runs it as far as I am aware.

It doesn't, if my reading of my files is correct, spawn all available animals and puts it into one biome. It seems to instead take a few animals (around 5) and choses them to exist in the land and overall.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2010, 04:07:31 pm »

Yes, indeed I do. I could create it right now. What should I call it? "Template:Ark"?

I guess shorter's better, so yeah, that works.  I was thinking we should also have an "Template Override" column, which if nonempty will result in the creature not invoking any parent templates and instead invoking the ones specified in the column.  Also, what's the feasibility of putting raws text in show/hide boxes in the table?  Is there some more elegant way?

Also, what are your thoughts on having other columns for specific tags?  Biomes and prefstrings may be feasible if people can adhere to formatting (and remember to check templates first)... body size nodes might be pushing it, coloration requires selection of tissue layers, everything else seems too complicated.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24