Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well Problem  (Read 2107 times)

SilasG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well Problem
« on: May 03, 2015, 09:20:35 pm »

Ok, so I managed to dig a mine shaft from just before the river snaking all the way to my hospital (1 well) and my Hall (2 wells). I channeled down from my hospital and the Hall 2 squares so that it should theoretically have to fill up 14 layers of water in those two vertical shaft squares before it could ever overflow the well, right? Obviously, wrong. Unless I'm reading this wrong it appears to have filled up the 2 square deep shafts only 1 square (which has 7) and of course the channel for the water coming also has 7. When I look at the layer with the channel (and which has the top square of the 2 square shaft) it has 7 with a flashing down arrow which I took to mean 7 layers of water below this tile.

Anyways, hospital and Hall flooded, FUN! haha

How can I tell whether that 2 square deep shaft is all the way filled up?

And, btw, I made a pressure plate as the wiki suggested but it doesn't seem to work. I made it trigger from water only and only when the water is 0-1 and have it linked to the floodgate. Didn't work. I ended up making a lever to control it which does work.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 09:22:54 pm by SilasG »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Well Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 09:47:41 pm »

Ah the joys of pressure.

I once excavated dual indoor waterfall misters which dumped through a cliff at the south end of the fort and decided to punch a hole down from the two traffic regions upstairs near the bedrooms to put some hospitals in where they'll get passed constantly, opened the gates to the waterfall feed tiles, POOF, water pouring through my sleeping areas.

Anyways, I think the flashing down arrow means there is a ramp-top visible, deramping it would be my first step, then when you check with k it should say 7/7 water and open space in the top, 7/7 water and whatever the floor tile is in the bottom.

SilasG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 09:55:40 pm »

Do you think its the ramp messing something up or did I just miss it filling 14 layers of water in that shaft?

Also, is the pressure plate bugged? I set it exactly how the wiki said to do it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 10:00:57 pm »

I have pretty much no experience with the use of plates for anything besides goblin grinders and one of the old shaft of enlightenment hatch-drop methods, though I think 0-1 might be triggering it on if there is only 1 water and off otherwise, there's a repeat setting in there I think. Hoping one of the minecart computer techs shows up to help there.

The ramp blinking doesn't mess anything up besides driving me up a wall, but I don't think there is anything else that would make a blinking down arrow of any sort in a water filled shaft besides an unhappy/tired/hungry/dehydrated dorf sitting down there, but it's an arrow instead of the ramp triangle.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 10:08:23 pm »

Before I mess with water, I seal off the entire general area that the water is gonna be going with flood gates attached to levers. That prevents the water from getting anywhere it shouldnt be going to begin with. If you had done that, even when that pressure plate failed, the floodgates in the outer area keep that section blocked.

SilasG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 10:50:47 pm »

@Max er no its a downward pointing triangle not arrow, sorry. It is signifying the ramp but I was hoping for some clue on the 14 layers of water thing.

@skyte100 Both areas were fine on initial launch of the water. It was on a subsequent refilling that it flooded because I was thinking the 2 square deep well shafts hadn't filled all the way up yet.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 11:13:45 pm »

You haven't turned water liquid depth off have you?
You should be able to just examine a tile and it will list the floor/ramp and x/7 water.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 11:19:58 pm »

@skyte100 Both areas were fine on initial launch of the water. It was on a subsequent refilling that it flooded because I was thinking the 2 square deep well shafts hadn't filled all the way up yet.
Better safe than sorry. I reseal whenever I touch water.

SilasG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 11:24:52 pm »

@Pirate Santa negative. I can see where it says 7 but, because of the downward triangle, I was thinking that meant 7 layers of water in the 2nd tile down. Its a shaft 2 tiles deep under the well. But it turns out the downward triangle was just indicating a slope.