Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Forgotten Beast's woes.  (Read 1758 times)

TheOddDemon

• Bay Watcher
  • Burn Baby Burn
    • View Profile
A Forgotten Beast's woes.
« on: July 12, 2011, 01:23:35 am »

Urid SpoiledBrooks approached the door. She had traveled far to get here, through the caverns and once even braving the surface. No creature would travel such a distance without purpose, and she was no different. She had traveled here because these filthy creatures, these monsters, these, these DWARFS had taken some of the mother-magma, and with it, her egg. Everyone knew about the mother-magma. It was the only medium in which an egg could hatch. For a moment, she remembered the tales of the Titans, kin which had been brought to the surface by an eruption of the mother-magma, and now were forever wandering, trying to find a way back down.

She shook off this thought and brought her three eyes to bear on the stone door, and charged, smashing her tusks through the door, breaking it to uncountable pieces and flatting one of the dwarfs unlucky enough to be there. As she charged up the stairwell, smashing the creatures left and right, she heard an alarm ring and shouts echo across the fortress.

Istok BoneBuckets was not having a good day. The booze had run out, making them drink water, the Baron had mandated a bed made out of something called Slade, his cat had been shot into the forest when the bridge was raised by a berserk dwarf, and to top it off, a Armokdamned  Forgotten Beast was charging up the cavern stairs! He sighed, and called the rest of the fortress guard to take their positions on the stairs, maybe he could at least kill something and end the day on a good note.

Urid smashed into the farms tearing apart the plants as she chased a screaming dwarf through the fortress. She was about to end his misery, when something caught her eyes. It was a stream of mother-magma, being pumped along by shiny metal things! She put her foot down, crushing the crying dwarf, and started to walk alongside the stream.

Istok waited. And waited. And waited some more, untill could no longer stand it, and shouted at a recruit, "Well, where is the bloody thing then?". The recruit paled and said, " S-sir! They said it was down there coming up!". "Bah, 'twas probably a prank, ye elf-brained fool!" Istok said, "Don't waste our time with such falsehoods."  He turned to leave, when a mighty roar shook the fortress.

Urid wailed. She had gotten to the end of the mother-rock stream, and what she saw shook her to her core. They were poring the blue mother-killer onto the mother-magma. Touched by the mother-killer, her egg was most certainly dead. She wailed, and her thoughts turned to anger. She would avenge her egg, make these beasts pay for wronging her, for wronging the mother-magma it's self.

Urist McGeneric was happy for once. People had finally stop making fun of his name, and he was put in charge of the obsidian farming! He whistled to himself, then started when he heard a roar, and turned to see a skinless elephant charging towards him. Some, in their final moments, find inner peace. He just wet himself.

Istok and the fortress guard charged down the stairs, running past fleeing dwarfs to where a an unspeakable beast smashed a dwarf over and over. Istok and his men roared the ancient dwarven battle cry: "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!" and charged the beast.

Urid heard a roar, and felt a sharp pain as an arrow lodged in her side, saw the tiny monsters charging her, roared back and charged. She gored two of them on her outermost tusks and stomped a third, then felt an intense pain as her left front leg was sliced in two. She staggered forward, fell and crushed the offending dwarf and two macedwarfs, and scrambled up to fight more.

Istok watched in horror as the beast, though missing a leg, got back up and continued to fight. A swordsdwarf cut off two of it's four tusks and stabbed out an eye, and was thrown into the magma as he watched. As his remaining two companions attacked, he shook himself and charged, cutting off another leg and letting the beast fall. He then cut off it's trunk and stabbed it in the remaining two eyes.

Urid felt herself fall, but dulled to the pain, did not feel it when she went blind. As she lay there, bleeding out, she comforted herself that she would soon be with her egg again, and felt peace take over her.

As the novelty wore off, the dwarfs started digging and building the necessary coffins, Istok started to walk back to his office, knowing that although many had died, the fortress was secure, and never even wondered why the beast had come in the first place.

The moral of the story is, don't use magma, go green: burn elves.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 02:35:21 pm by TheOddDemon »
I eat dead people.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Re: A Forgotten Beast's woes.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 02:16:34 am »

Wow, this is awesome!
Very well written and narrated.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 03:10:13 pm »

Wow, this is awesome!
this is why we need books in dwarf fortress! HURRY UP THREETOAD AND ONETOE!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 04:57:53 am »

hey hey don't let this fade into obscurity yet!

TheOddDemon

• Bay Watcher
  • Burn Baby Burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 09:32:14 am »

Wow, this is awesome!

Thank you for the kind words. I intend to write more stories in the future.
I eat dead people.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 04:05:53 pm »

Thank you for the kind words. I intend to write more stories in the future.
Please do!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 10:26:44 pm »

Best narrative from a creature in DF.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 12:08:25 pm »

Great, great story.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.