Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Glitch Fortress: Duplicate Raw Files [INTRO- IMAGES FIXED]  (Read 17904 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Glitch Fortress: Duplicate Raw Files [PROPOSAL]
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 02:38:16 am »

Opening it up with an adventure mode OOC prologue, just to see the situation. I jumbled together some of my own mods I had lying around and plenty of duplicates. I'll get to starting a fort within the post. Hopefully.

I started off trying to play as a goblin (the options were goblins, kobolds, and frogmen). Miner was available as a skill, but I couldn't put any skill points in- apparently the binding for that has changed to "82Shift+UpShift+-Alt+Down". What the hell is UpShift? Whatever. Unfortunately forgoing skills I find that my name is to Muthkat Doormuscle. Whatever. I enter and am greeted by this:

Not... totally sure what happened. Looks like someone was wearing the fabled boiling leather. Perhaps I'll pick over their melted corpse once it cools off. Moments later, they've frozen to death. Well, I guess I won't have to worry about them cooling off.  8)
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2600/30912865.png
I meet another goblin who says absolutely nothing of interest, except that the town is called Whipcrowns (making it, I think, probably built by goblins) and that somebody killed a tentacle demon. Which means there are tentacle demons on the loose. An Axeman (goblin) praises minerals, which is probably also noteworthy.

Sweet looooooot! I decide not to take the fireman silk robe. Things made of materials that should never exist scare me. I also find a camel leather cap.

Well, looks like my earlier assumption was wrong- it's a dwarven fortress. Everything points to the goblins using a dwarf civ file. Well, except that they're called <profession>men. Which might mean that they're human-civved goblins who conquered a dwarven fort? I head in search of the monarch, or whatever.

I see they have some highly skilled staff.

Tentacle demon worshippers. Their rites must be... interesting. Someone also kills a hoary marmot while I'm down there. I quickly grow bored and head for a shop to cash in my ill-gotten two-humped camel leather goods for a weapon. ...then I remember that dwarven fortresses have no shops. Moving on!

The game crashes when I try to go into a town, unfortunately.

Right now it crashes on embark, so I think I'll have to tone down to dupage. More on this later.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 02:10:17 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Glitch Fortress: Duplicate Raw Files [INTRO]
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 05:35:24 am »

Waiting with all due anticipation.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
Re: Glitch Fortress: Duplicate Raw Files [INTRO]
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 07:16:16 am »

I believe the crashing would likely be because of vermin switching about into non-vermin, especially fish.  I'd suggest trying to remove as many vermin as possible, leaving just purring maggots (Since taking them out causes embark crashes as well).
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glitch Fortress: Duplicate Raw Files [INTRO- IMAGES FIXED]
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 02:11:04 pm »

Bump because I fixed the images. I'll see if I can't get to embarking pretty soon here.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 03:09:53 pm »

2nd Adventure mode attempt (no pictures this time):

It let me put points into miner, this time, but I didn't spawn with any items appertaining to my skills (miner, armor user and shield user). I went with a different goblin civ who still used the dwarven language, but started in a town set of dark towers. The priest at the temple was a snakeman (which I think is pretty cool). Oh, and yes, a ton of people died from boiling leather when I entered. I got killed by a pack of wolves before I could see a town (which I suspect to consists of kobolds). On my next try I spawned in a dwarven fortress being overrun by batmen and antmen (and I had a steel sword and shield), but the game froze when I accidentally tried to 'move carefully'. Upon trying AGAIN I was stuck in a mountain range with no towns. So whatever, I'm embarking. Update then.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 03:22:31 pm »

lol, boiling leather armor.  ::)

I may actually try this type of game...
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 07:58:35 pm »

We've embarked at a pretty good site. It's fairly warm here, we have stone, magma, trees, and a pit. Oh, how I love pits! Maybe we can find some trolls.

Let's go over out party: We've embarked with seven strong goblins from the Great Tower, hand selected by his holy darkness, the Demon King. First we've got got Captain Monomnakas, who calls himself a "coder". I'm not totally sure what that entails... but he seems pretty good at building mechanical and structural things, although he's no artist. he keeps rambling about bugs (I haven't even seen any bugs the entire journey!) and 'fuck-uppery', which I'm quite sure is not a verb. We also have a clothesmaker/weaver named Kenbo. Kenbo, unfortunately, is rather eccentric and has a habit of making clothes that... umm... appease the tentacle queen, to put it nicely. We have an glassmaker who goes by Killer, which I think is silly, but whatever. There's no sand back at the tower, so it's lucky we managed to find a glassmaker at all. Spartan takes the traditional cossack role of woodcutter and axe-fighter, as well as carpenter. Sysice, our farmer, has a green thumb. But that's because he's a goblin, mostly. My role is as a miner, and engraver. Lastly is Eddo, who can operate furnaces but mostly is here as a trader.

AND THEN IT CRASHED.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 09:01:00 pm »

Did you remove all vermin RAW's aside from purring maggots?

The crashing might be vermin getting changed to creatures, or a lack of purring maggots in the world.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 09:09:38 pm »

Wow...That's a problem :(

I think you should regen, and hope you end up with a glitched, non crash world.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 09:14:41 pm »

The crashing might be vermin getting changed to creatures, or a lack of purring maggots in the world.
I removed the [vermin] related tags, very thoroughly, from all the vermin creatures (purring maggots excluded).

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2010, 10:08:32 pm »

I removed the [vermin] related tags, very thoroughly, from all the vermin creatures (purring maggots excluded).
Giving you creatures without body definitions? That's probably even worse. You should take them out entirely.

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 10:48:00 pm »

This thread makes me feel good. I've never tried RAW Duping before, would it work if I just copy-pasted the default raws, giving me a (1) copy of everything?

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2010, 11:05:35 pm »

This thread makes me feel good. I've never tried RAW Duping before, would it work if I just copy-pasted the default raws, giving me a (1) copy of everything?

The first line of each file needs to have the file's name on it, so you'll need to make that minor change to each dup'd file. Otherwise, that sounds like it should work.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2010, 11:21:37 pm »

I think the game even starts acting weird if you only have a duplicate entry, not necessarily a duplicate file. I'm not totally sure about this though.

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2010, 12:53:51 am »

Hmm, all that happens when I try running adventure mode is that the game crashes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3