Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My dwarves are going crazy!  (Read 1369 times)

Jancarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My dwarves are going crazy!
« on: January 22, 2010, 09:11:33 am »

So, I've had two dwarves who have gone insane despite, as far as I can tell, there being (at least somewhere) all the materials they need for their artifact, or at least, the stocks menu says I have the stuff they need.  This was a minor inconvience on the first one (a peasant who recently arrived went melancholy), but on the second, my broker/brewer/mayor went absolutetly berserk and started rampaging around the fortress.  I guess my questions are as follows: 1) When they ask for cloth, does it matter whether I give them plant fiber or silk?  If so, can I extract the silk cloth from completed silk cloth items?  2) How do I stop rampaging crazy dwarves?

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarves are going crazy!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 09:21:09 am »

1, yes type of cloth matters. no you can't extract the silk

2 military dwarves
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Jancarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 09:23:28 am »

Is there any other way to get the silk thread fast if I haven't found any large spider concentrations? I don't really know where I would get such things

Also, as I have not yet put any military dwarves together at the point the mayor went insane, how do I quickly throw my woodcutters together and send them after the crazy bastard?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 09:26:47 am by Jancarius »

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 10:21:08 am »

1. Does your map have any features? Like chasm, bottomless pit, or some underground water? Cave spiders often live there. If not, then your only chance to get silk is from dwarven caravan.

This is exactly the reason why it is recommended to take a few silk on embark.

2. Unless the woodcutters have decent stats the berserk may make mincemeat out of them. Try throwing some wardogs at him first if you have them.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 10:27:22 am »

1. Import silk cloth from the dwarven caravan.

2. If you don't have military, it is best to draft your miners. They are better than woodcutters, because they use Mining as a weapon skill, while your woodcutters are still dabbling axedwarves. Also try building cage traps.

Jancarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 03:44:28 pm »

The caravan left right before he was taken by a mood, so I don't think it will be back in time.

Jancarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 04:02:58 pm »

On a related note: I can't seem to train war dogs at my kennel.  I have a (non-stray, I think, he has a name) dog, who wI want to train as a war dog, but everytime I try it says there is no available dog.

Valliant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 04:17:21 pm »

As far as controlling crazy dwarves, I like to have each of my workshops arranged in such a way that if I need to I can build a quick wall around it and the disappointed, soon to be crazy dwarf. He then can starve to death if he happens to go berserk, and if he ends up going more quietly crazy I can let him out to wander and maybe do something useful by being bait.

Jancarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 04:25:58 pm »

I wound up forming a quick 4 man squad to kill him out of my miners and the Captain of the Guard (who is the only dwarf with non dabbling axe skill).

Jancarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 05:10:31 pm »

Alright, now I need leather.  Is the best way to do this just  tell the dwarves to slaughter one of my horse foals and then butcher him?

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 06:26:11 pm »

Yes. Just set up a butchery and a tanner's shop, have a dwarf with the applicable labors turned on, then highlight your chosen animal and tell it that it is ready for slaughter, the dwarves take care of the rest.

kochanneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 09:04:08 pm »

You can also use the "z" menu to quickly designate lots of animals for slaughter, you only really need to keep one male of each animal type around, the lucky guy will serve the needs of all your females perfectly fine.