Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Magma Smelter?  (Read 11176 times)

Zambaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Smelter?
« on: January 20, 2010, 09:06:21 am »

I've decided to try and make a magma smelter. But before I do that I'd just like to make sure I get it right =)

I simply build a magma smelter. Then dig out the ground underneath it and dig a way to the magma pipe so the magma can poor into the room under the smelter. How should I seal of that room, with a locked door made of marble?

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Smelter?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 09:19:50 am »

Meh.

JamPet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 02:32:49 pm »

At least one of the magma furnace's eight edge tiles has to be hanging over magma of a depth of at least 4/7.  The furnace has to be made out of fire-safe, but not necessarily magma-safe stuff.  So that part is easy.

You got the basic idea right.  Magma, unlike water, does not count as pressurized even when there is a lot of magma weight pressing down on it from above (unless it goes through a pump!).  So for practical uses, it won't ever overflow higher than the level you are bringing it in by.  A ramp that leads down into the magma tunnel you are building is therefore plenty sealed enough for basic purposes.

Magma will melt a lot of things if allowed to pass through them.  Your marble door will hold the magma back indefinetly if it is locked and bolted, but if the magma is once allowed to flow through that door it will melt nigh-immediately.  Also, a tantruming dwarf will smash the door without a second thought with hilarious consequences.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 02:38:45 pm »

The easiest way to set up a magma forge/smelter is to find somewhere along your magma pipe or pool where it is really small and the level below is larger.  Then mine out a room overlapping the larger level of the pipe on the same level as the smaller section (you will get lots of 'hot hot hot' messages, so it can be a little annoying carving out the room).  Once you have the room mined out, figure out where you want your shop and channel a hole in the floor, thus exposing the magma underneath, then build your workshop with the impassible (dark green) tile situated over the magma hole.  If this doesn't make sense let me know and I will take some screenshots for you.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 04:45:05 pm »

Note that if you do it the way gtmattz describes, you may wish to wall in your smelter to prevent your smiths from having Fun. Alternatively, you could let magma flow from the magma pipe into a tunnel, and channel into that to fuel your smelters. Fun can be avoided by letting the magma flow through a grate or fortification as it leaves the pipe.
The fish are watching.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 06:09:56 pm »

Note that if you do it the way gtmattz describes, you may wish to wall in your smelter to prevent your smiths from having Fun. Alternatively, you could let magma flow from the magma pipe into a tunnel, and channel into that to fuel your smelters. Fun can be avoided by letting the magma flow through a grate or fortification as it leaves the pipe.

If the impassible tile of the smelter/forge is over the channel then it is impossible for magma or creatures to come through.  The only time you are at risk is during the period between channeling through the floor and the completion of the workshop.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 06:12:28 pm by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 06:32:15 pm »

Oops, misread your original post there.
The fish are watching.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 08:54:17 pm »

I endorse this method, as it permits more industry than gtmattz's method, which provides a minimal space for forges and furnaces, and also provides an easy method of ensuring safety for those dwarves who must work with magma.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 09:08:56 pm »

I think you have to dig all the tunnels and channels before putting in the smelters.  I'm not sure if you can dig out a tile from under a smelter.  But do make sure that the open space for the magma is not the center of the smelter.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 10:39:08 pm »

I think you have to dig all the tunnels and channels before putting in the smelters.  I'm not sure if you can dig out a tile from under a smelter.  But do make sure that the open space for the magma is not the center of the smelter.
This is correct, you must make the hole before you can build the forge/furnace/smelter/kiln.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 04:37:57 am »

My method of tapping the magma pipe usually looks along the following lines:

=o=
###########|#######
###########*#######
 <---      %%_#~~~~
############~~~~~~~
###################

The pipe is to the right and the tapped magma goes in the direction of the arrow. The pipe is breached from above along the suggestions outlined earlier in the thread, and is immediately sealed with a grate. Theoretically magma men and firemen should be able to destroy the grate, but I have yet to see them doing this.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 11:17:57 am »

=o=
###########|#######
###########*#######
 <---      %%_#~~~~
############~~~~~~~
###################

The pipe is to the right and the tapped magma goes in the direction of the arrow. The pipe is breached from above along the suggestions outlined earlier in the thread, and is immediately sealed with a grate. Theoretically magma men and firemen should be able to destroy the grate, but I have yet to see them doing this.
I think I like this method, it provides pressurized magma which flows faster than usual. The best improvement I could suggest would be to carve fortifications into the rock at some point between the magma pipe and the pump; as in
          =o=
###########|#######
###########*#######
 <---      %%_#####
############~~#~~~~~
###################

This would provide superior protection against fire/magma men without being significantly more complex.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 05:45:30 pm »

=o=
###########|#######
###########*#######
 <---      %%_#~~~~
############~~~~~~~
###################

This is my usual method as well.  It also allows you to easily extend your magma tap later for more workshops, without worrying much about disrupting your existing workshops, since the pump pressurizes the magma. 

KG

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 07:04:29 pm »

Before you make a smelter think of this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Before you have a fortress of

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 11:49:03 pm »

At least one of the magma furnace's eight edge tiles has to be hanging over magma

build your workshop with the impassible (dark green) tile situated over the magma hole.  If this doesn't make sense let me know and I will take some screenshots for you.

which of these two are the truth?
We are who we are, depending on who we were.
Pages: [1] 2