Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 119078 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2010, 11:33:12 am »

As far as my memory goes, and I'm too lazy to check, I remember his visit to valve and how he had mental orgasms and probably a few physical ones too.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2010, 11:37:40 am »

As far as my memory goes, and I'm too lazy to check, I remember his visit to valve and how he had mental orgasms and probably a few physical ones too.

To be fair, everyone who visits valve has those orgasms.  Remember the L4D2 Boycott?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2010, 11:43:24 am »

To be fair, everyone who visits valve has those orgasms.  Remember the L4D2 Boycott?
Never even heard of it. Then again, I'm not a l4d(2) fan. I'm not sure why they would have those orgasms, valve has only made 2 decent games and one that should have been given way more attention. The only thing I liked about his visit there was how they assigned people jobs for a game and that's pretty much it.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2010, 06:26:58 pm »

I think that people who prefer graphics over gameplay should go die. Really, why are graphics so damn important? Same thing with music, I don't care about music that much, I just don't want it to be bad. I also hate people that don't play games BECAUSE of the music, there's a damn mute button for a reason. The thing I hate most of all is invisible walls, I really hate those. I like games with little to no replay, so long as they are cheap, and the few hours I DO get out of them, are really good. Invisible walls and doors that can't be unlocked annoy me though, that's one thing I dislike about several RPGs, what is preventing me from killing the damn guard, or that one guy that is annoying me. That's what I like about Oblivion though, if I want to, I can kill that damn guy that's annoying me, hell, there's even a group that REWARDS me to do that. Back to graphics though, I look at gameplay first, always, the few things graphics-wise I let influence my game choice is 2D or 3D, and if the thing is recognizable, as long as I can recognize that as a zombie, I don't care too much. Graphics just enhance the game, if there were two identical games, except graphics, I would go for the one with better graphics, unless it was too expensive or my machine couldn't handle it. The types of games I like tend to be games that are moddable, I love WC3, and am planning to get SC2, purely for the moddability of the custom maps. I like sandbox games, because I can always mess around when I'm bored.
Well, I think my rantish-thing is over, who would like a turn now?

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2010, 09:08:50 pm »

I think that anybody with a different aesthetic preference than me should die because they are bad people and they smell bad.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2010, 10:15:48 am »

Never even heard of it. Then again, I'm not a l4d(2) fan. I'm not sure why they would have those orgasms

The leaders of the boycott were flown out to Seattle, all expenses paid, to get a preview play of L4D2 at valve headquarters.  Afterwards they started encouraging people to buy it (notably valve can track who was part of the official boycott and match that up with who's buying the game--boycotters were preordering at a faster rate than non-boycotters).

Which of course, prompted this series of emails.  Joe raised the money in less than 3 days.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 10:18:04 am by Draco18s »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2010, 11:03:24 am »

That's awesome of them, but then again, people boycotting l4d2 were probably the ones wanting it most, they just didn't want to pay for it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2010, 11:07:10 am »

Remember the Modern Warfare 2 boycott?  And how about 70% of the Steamgroup was playing it on launch day?
Shoes...

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2010, 11:14:11 am »

Wasnt that something to do with a screenshot showing the first page of the group, and how it puts all the people in-game on the first page, so it just looked like alot more of them were playing it than actually were?

AFAIK the L4D2 boycot was because, when L4D1 was released they said they'd be releasing new levels/guns/enemies as free updates like TF2 gets, then in less than a year they were announcing the sequel, which would have new levels/guns/enemies... I'm pretty sure they only released the SDK a month or so before the sequel came out too, so people were pissed about that.

Good example of a game dev fixing something that isnt broken, since L4D2 is nowhere near as fun as the first one due to them messing with the AI director. In the original it was pretty good at keeping you right on the edge of defeat the whole time, but still giving you a chance to win. The second one just throws tanks, witches and specials at you over and over.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2010, 11:25:51 am »

AFAIK the L4D2 boycot was because, when L4D1 was released they said they'd be releasing new levels/guns/enemies as free updates like TF2 gets, then in less than a year they were announcing the sequel, which would have new levels/guns/enemies...
I don't know if that's what they have said, since I haven't really checked, but I do remember everyone expecting that.

I guess Valve needed some more money quickly. Or maybe they weren't happy with l4d as it was. But they could have updated it and did weekends like TF2 gets. Lots of people buy it when there are update, at least enough to put tf2 as first in the sale charts on steam for the week. I guess they just wanted to milk the cow, I mean, players, for money.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2010, 11:30:08 am »

Theres a video online where either one of the devs for the game, or a public relations guy or something says a list of what will be added after l4d1 release... then it cuts to him a few months later, using pretty much the same exact words to describe the l4d2 feature list :P

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2010, 11:34:25 am »

I'd love to watch that video if you can find it. ;)

Might be a perfect example of large developers' bullshit.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2010, 11:44:57 am »

I didn't like dagger fall as much as morrowind. I did NOT enjoy having to navigate the endless paths in every single dungeon created, sometimes running into an unbeatable foe and failing the mission because of it.

I can handle loading screens since Those are what actually allow the game to exist. It's like lag but its giving you something to look at. And faster computers can handle those things.

But i hate the dumbed down games.....The top one on my list being spore....haaaaaaaaaaate it.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2010, 11:47:44 am »

Well, the dungeons in daggerfall had issues, but there were mods to cull their size.

I have a top of the line computer and some games still have huge loading screens. It annoys me to no end.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2010, 12:02:58 pm »

That's awesome of them, but then again, people boycotting l4d2 were probably the ones wanting it most, they just didn't want to pay for it.

Oh, they paid for it.  Valve was looking at actual pre-orders.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 66