Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 119238 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #930 on: July 29, 2011, 04:06:34 pm »

I am offended that the vote for people who don't have any problems with modern games implies that they have no brains
It's FEF, not FEOF

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: July 29, 2011, 04:09:10 pm »

I just assumed it meant that the people who would vote that are delicious on the inside.

Except cantaloupeople. Screw you guys you taste terrible.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: July 29, 2011, 04:12:45 pm »

Some people I met online have TRUELY "As long as it isn't total garbage it is good" mentalities.

As well some people here ARE casuals who are THE focus of the gaming market (Note: If you know a lot of games then your not casual... even if you play them only casually.)

Plus then there are people who only just now got into games so their standards ARE modern games.

THEN finally there are people who don't mind modern games becuase they ignore all the cruddy, repetative, samey, follow the leader, graphics above style, and all that games and go for the actual kernals of goodness left in this wasteland we call gaming.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: July 29, 2011, 04:20:57 pm »

@Darkmere
I think that's why I put personally as the first word in my phrase. It's my opinion and it's a very subjective one. I accept lots of people buy games for the story only and they can praise the story all they want, but the actual gameplay isn't good, no matter how good the story may be. Of course, a compelling story can make you overlook gameplay flaws and the same goes the other way around.

I don't really want perfection, I just don't want the gameplay to be forgotten. Story alone wont make me say a game is good.

For example: Portal 2. I have a lot of criticism about it but the story was so entertaining and fluid that I can overlook that to the point I can say it's the best game of 2011 for me so far. But in fact, it was a dumbed down Portal 1 since they switched the focus from figuring out what to do, to find the white wall and in what sequence should you use them.

I don't think Bioshock was a rip, it was certainly inspired by, but not a rip. I think it's a bad reuse of the franchise, but that's my opinion. As for shadow of the colossus, I agree with you... One of the most boring games I've ever played... I mean, the visuals were great and the sense of size was great... But they took the most annoying thing every game has... Boss fights... and made a game about it. That would never go right.

To expand on what I mentioned before - loading times have been and will be with us for a long, long time. thing is it's not like they're getting any longer, there's more of an "ebb and flow" with regards to loading times in that they have a relationship between the complexity of the software running and the speed of the loading medium - storage media gets faster and games get more complex and as one outpips the other (in relative terms) loading times go up and down.
Nope. It's bad programming in most cases. It's just careless, cheap, lets get this over with, bad programming.

Any Hitman game can be used as the prime example of how fast your games could be loading right now.

I am offended that the vote for people who don't have any problems with modern games implies that they have no brains
Actually. I used fruit in a hippie sense to imply you are peaceful, thus you don't hate anything. Ie... All is fine man *peace sign, noms on apple*.

I don't think it would even be offensive to vegetarian hippies. I mean, they want to be peaceful, don't they?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: July 29, 2011, 04:33:06 pm »

Ah, I should play portal someday. When it came out, my old clunker rig was on its last legs, and by the time I'd build a new one THE CAKE IS A LIE LOL I'M CLEVER kinda turned me off. That and as for Portal 2, I refuse to pay $50 for a game that by all accounts takes less than a day to finish.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: July 29, 2011, 04:33:32 pm »

Nope. It's bad programming in most cases. It's just careless, cheap, lets get this over with, bad programming.

Any Hitman game can be used as the prime example of how fast your games could be loading right now.

In some cases, yes, not in most. Admittedly you could substitute "complexity" in my original quote with "graphics" but with most modern games it will be the textures being loaded (and yes, a lot of it will be sloppy programming not making use of available resources and placing these assets into memory) but you can demonstrate that it is more down to the hardware clearly by setting up a RAM drive (provided you have enough memory) and loading a game from there - in most cases I've tried this I can load a game in the blink of an eye. won't help you in DF when a world is being generated, but it certainly will when it's being loaded or saved. 5Gb/s vs ~300mb/s makes a huge difference.

Yeah, Hitman loads quickly, but then it doesn't have the graphical beauty of, say, Oblivion, or the sheer amount of high res textures needed for a modern flight sim, for example.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: July 29, 2011, 04:49:17 pm »

You're a bit late. I had two free copies of portal to give a couple months ago. :(

It's $9.99 on steam right now, but if you wait for another promo, you might get it for 5 bucks. Even at 10 bucks I think it's worth it.

Yeah, the price on P2 was really steep for a short lived game. I don't feel it's worth that price, but it's still the best new game I've played this year so far.

@SquidgyB
Well, putting anything that depends on something essentially slow on a super fast medium will make it fast. That doesn't prove anything. It doesn't make it more efficient. Hitman loads quickly not because it lacks graphical beauty. It loads quickly because it does so dynamically. Whereas Oblivion garbage collects everything before reloading everything. The only point where Oblivion loads things dynamically, even when there are new textures and objects, is when you're out in the wilderness and you don't usually feel a hitch there. If it did that in scene transitions, it would have had a much faster loading. But alas, it's much easier to simply dump everything and reload only what you need.

Example: TF2 recently switched to dynamic loading. After the first map load, most every other map loads much much faster since it doesn't have to dump the entire thing before reloading everything.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: July 29, 2011, 04:52:45 pm »

I just don't want the gameplay to be forgotten. Story alone wont make me say a game is good

I agree. When a game is all story but no gameplay it makes... well... a movie. I can look the other way to a certain extent for story but you can only be shoved aside so much.

Same with Gameplay and Story. Gameplay can make me look the other way for the story... but like God of War, I can only be pushed too far.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: July 29, 2011, 09:09:52 pm »

It's even worse, now, I'd say. I'm willing to let a person I disagree with call me stupid because of our disagreement. It irks me somewhat more to either agree with the OP or not vote at all.

At least Soulwynd hasn't tried pulling the results of this thread as evidence of anything yet.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: July 30, 2011, 12:04:47 am »

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about, Grakelin.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #940 on: July 30, 2011, 12:21:50 am »

Why can't more elections be like this one?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: July 30, 2011, 07:56:18 am »

I know this thread is old but jesus christ, the guy took the words from straight out of my mouth. Games are being made easier, you're going from point A to B half the time, slaughtering everything you come across. That's the premise for most games now, and it's sickening. They've turned from the minor exception to the majority, now with gaming companies head over ass with trying to please the general crowd. Sure, I understand you guys need to make money, but how many more run-and-gun Call of Duty rip-offs do you guys intend to produce?

I'm currently playing Eve Online, Dwarf Fortress and Men of War:Assault Squad. Eve Online being the only MMO that doesn't spoon feed you throughout the game (Though, I could be wrong. If you know some, don't be afraid to toss some my way). Dwarf Fortress being well... Dwarf Fortress, and the Men of War series as a more hardcore version of Company of Heroes, so to speak.

My biggest quirk with modern games these days is like Soul had said, it's linearity. Once I play through a game, I'm essentially done with it. There's nothing else to do. Sure I can go back and complete all the ridiculous achievements or whatever else I hadn't done, but seriously? The quality of games now are no where near those of the past. With this amount of technology and equipment, I'd imagined they'd be making games bigger, and better. I'm still perplexed as to why creative, innovative games such as Dwarf Fortress aren't more popular. I'd pay the average full retail price for a game that even comes close to the Dwarf Fortress' quality. It's a shame, a shame.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 07:58:40 am by xDarkz »

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: July 30, 2011, 08:27:03 am »

Linearity is not a bad thing. For a good complex narrative in a game you would need some level of Linearity at least. The reason games are 'smaller' is becouse Graphics take up a rediculas amount of room, which grows larger for the more game world there is. Yes I will agree I prefer many older games but I still hold my stance I've held for years now. The gameing industry is like a great big pile of sewage with a few gems that stand out. It's always been like that, but as the years pass you forget about most of the sewage becouse it wasn't nearly as memorable as those gems.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Gimhalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: July 30, 2011, 09:08:15 am »

(Though, I could be wrong. If you know some, don't be afraid to toss some my way).

Anarchy Online, though it's pretty dead (it may just be nostalgia but man I love this game). Ultima Online (private servers). I'd venture to say Guild Wars because the PvP is pretty in-depth.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: July 30, 2011, 10:00:07 am »

I don't get all the hate for modern games, I've been playing games as my main hobby since I was three and this age has me more excited than at any other point in time.  Diablo 3 looks like a barrel full of fun, SC2 was great and I'm eagerly awaiting the expansions.  I also enjoy Dungeons of Dredmore.  Year is only half over and I only see good things in the future. 

As for any dissatisfaction, really the only thing I think that applies at all is the re-releasing of the same game several times.  Then again it is those reliable sellers that allow for more experimentation so I can't really complain.  On a side-note I'd never pirate a game, I just find it unjustifiable in my preset or any foreseeable circumstances.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 66