Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 117394 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #960 on: July 30, 2011, 02:35:11 pm »

How is linearity a problem with 'modern games'? most old games had a lot more linearity.

Compare and contrast:

Final Fantasy XIII
and
Chrono Trigger

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: July 30, 2011, 02:44:51 pm »

How is linearity a problem with 'modern games'? most old games had a lot more linearity.

Compare and contrast:

Final Fantasy XIII
and
Chrono Trigger
I have never played either of those games. Also, it doesn't make much sense to compare a game that I assume is very sandboxy to a game from a series well known at this point for it linearity. Said series used to have more open games, depending on your definition of 'open', but shortly after it started it became a mostly linear series. It's what the fans seem to like.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: July 30, 2011, 02:47:29 pm »

Compare and contrast:

Final Fantasy XIII
and
Chrono Trigger

Alternately, from the same general era, Final Fantasy VI ("III") which had a highly linear plot for most of the game (the first half and some of the second half), but allowed for some exploration.

On the other hand, in the modern day, Final Fantasy XII, the game before XIII, while being similarly linear to VI also allowed for a lot of exploration and diversion a lot of the time, just like VI.

It really isn't easy to say modern games are very linear compared to old games. We've always had open-world games and linear games (For instance, Adventure vs. Pac Man on the Atari 2600, or Legend of Zelda vs. Super Mario Bros. on the NES, etc etc).

I'm not going to say XIII isn't extremely linear, though.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: July 30, 2011, 03:22:48 pm »

Actually, both of those are very linear.

Which was his point.

It's just that Chrono Trigger is an infinitely better experience. In all honesty, even if you disagree with me on everything, give Chrono Trigger a spin, you wont regret it.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: July 30, 2011, 03:28:04 pm »

I have never played either of those games. Also, it doesn't make much sense to compare a game that I assume is very sandboxy to a game from a series well known at this point for it linearity. Said series used to have more open games, depending on your definition of 'open', but shortly after it started it became a mostly linear series. It's what the fans seem to like.

Chrono Trigger is a JRPG, with a rather linear plot.

However there are several points where the player can influence the outcome of that story.  There are no less than seven different endings (aside from dying in combat).  One of those is even walking up to the final boss early and beating the shit out of him (which, I'd like to point out, isn't normally possible).

The levels also don't look like this:

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: July 30, 2011, 03:29:15 pm »

Which was his point.

It's just that Chrono Trigger is an infinitely better experience. In all honesty, even if you disagree with me on everything, give Chrono Trigger a spin, you wont regret it.
Ah, my mistake, fair enough then.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: July 30, 2011, 03:34:26 pm »

Which was his point.

Ah, I thought he was agreeing. Yeah, Chrono Trigger is indeed pretty linear but it does give you a lot more options for wandering around (though I didn't beat it).

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: July 30, 2011, 03:45:54 pm »

(though I didn't beat it).

Neither have I.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: July 30, 2011, 04:13:40 pm »

I have.

It's epic.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: July 30, 2011, 04:26:35 pm »

Ditto, it's an amazing game, and I've gone through it many times. There's even a joke ending if you beat the final boss at a certain point.

Chrono Cross on the other hand, is a decent game, but it's bashed for not being anywhere near the quality of it's ancestor. I've only played about half of it.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: July 30, 2011, 07:41:09 pm »

'bout the topic...

I hate DLCs, especially day 1 DLCs. I mean, it should have been in the game itself, instead of being cut from the main game and packaged in a different box labelled 'DLC'.

However, there are games that actually do it right. For example, LittleBigPlanet's DLCs are great, as none of them are required to play the main game's water features. In fact, you could play the first game's custom watery levels without the appropriate DLC; lacking the DLC just prohibited you from making levels with water and other minor features.

With all that being said, there are some sucky examples, like Oblivion's Horse armor DLC. Seriously now, it was just a bunch of horses in armor, and it cost as much as the other DLCs. I could list a lot more, but it would become redundant if I keep listing, so yeah.

DLCs are supposed to expand the full game, it shouldn't be used as a key to unlock the full game's content.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: July 30, 2011, 07:47:51 pm »

With all that being said, there are some sucky examples, like Oblivion's Horse armor DLC.
Ubersucky!
Modders could do better, and free.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: July 30, 2011, 11:28:44 pm »

Ditto, it's an amazing game, and I've gone through it many times. There's even a joke ending if you beat the final boss at a certain point.

Chrono Cross on the other hand, is a decent game, but it's bashed for not being anywhere near the quality of it's ancestor. I've only played about half of it.
Chrono Cross was... frustrating. On it's own merits? It's not at all a bad game. I'd even call it good. But to anyone who has played Chrono trigger... not only does it not hold up to that standard, it's plot pretty much destroys most of Chrono Trigger's.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: July 30, 2011, 11:48:09 pm »

Chrono Cross' largest benefit was its music.

Its plot was weak, it didn't have the same "we are friends" vibe Crono trigger managed, and its fighting mechanics were bad.

It wasn't so bad though. It just was an average game that ridden on the coattails of a great game.

That is I guess one of the important things about plot.

Yes older games couldn't POSSIBLY have the hours of cinamatics and sections between towns like modern games did... but that is the thing. They did everything they HAD to in the minimum amount of time.

What is the best cinamatic in FF8? The DANCE.

Adding more story isn't making the story better it is just adding fodder. If anything the fact that they couldn't put hour long videos between battles was a benefit.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 11:53:08 pm by Neonivek »

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: July 31, 2011, 02:36:39 am »

Chrono Trigger is a JRPG, with a rather linear plot.

Anyone else found it hilarious that right after he said linear plot, he explained how the plot wasn't linear? No? Oh well.
Just so that you know, Chrono trigger is more non linear than Oblivion which may come off as a surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66