Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 117307 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 02:23:35 pm »

In case anyone's got the wrong idea, I'm not telling you not to pirate.  I fall under the maniacal cutlass-wielding type previously mentioned.  My problem is when people think they're "stickin' it to da man" by pirating games.
Shoes...

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 02:27:09 pm »

First of all "consoletards" only "recently" got loading screens. I remember my NES days (Feck, they arent over, I still use it) when consoles were the ONLY thing WITHOUT loading screens.
True, I was referring to the cd+ generation of consoles. I never had any slow loading screens on computers back then however. Most things loaded pretty fast compared to nowadays. Perhaps I should have been more specific, I was talking about slow loading screens mostly. You see, I have a ps2 and it's horrible. I rarely even touch it anymore.
Heh, to get it back on track:
When I was about 6 years old, we used to load up a game on the C64. The next 15 minutes we would play with our "Masters of the Universe" action figures, checking the screen every other minute if the game was loaded already.

But yeah, games with loading screens in between, they started to surface on the more powerful systems, like the amiga. People just made "bigger" games on them.

I like how they managed to hide the loading screens in "San Andreas" on the PS2. The game had big empty areas like the countryside or the desert, with so little going on it could load the next city in the background, in the meantime. I found that noteworthy, especially compared to vice city and GTA III.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2010, 02:38:19 pm »

Loading screens?  My first computer games were on a Vic-20 with a tape drive.  The 1541 disk drive was a godsend after that, and then came FastLoad then VORPAL LOAD ZOMG THE SPEED.  I can take loading screens.  (darg, I got ninja'd on the c64 topic)

I think my biggest problem with many modern games is the focus on multiplayer.  First is the matter that by and large, I cannot stand gamer culture, and second is the fact that you really can't tell a good story in a multiplayer setting.  I like games that tell a good story, and I'm perfectly willing to put up with a linear track if it puts me into the story.  I do have a bit of a problem with spending $50-$60 for a single story however, and part of the problem there may be that games are still astonishingly expensive to produce due to always needing to keep up with the technology curve.  Don't get me wrong, I like nice graphics in a game, but I can't help but wonder what the state of cinema would be like if everyone felt the need to reinvent cinematography for every feature release.

As for piracy, I've done my share (I think I paid for maybe three c64 games in my life), I've done a small amount of it with modern games, and occasionally I've had to warez a copy of a game I've lost or damaged (yay for Steam!).  With the latter category, I certainly don't feel any guilt, but I certainly don't delude myself into thinking I'm doing something noble.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 02:41:27 pm by sproingie »
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2010, 02:46:23 pm »

I think my biggest problem with many modern games is the focus on multiplayer.  First is the matter that by and large, I cannot stand gamer culture, and second is the fact that you really can't tell a good story in a multiplayer setting.
I see your statement and raise you a System Shock 2 Multiplayer Mod!

What's bad, however, is games that are VERY lacking in single player and excuse that by "it's a multiplayer game".

I think almost every good singleplayer game could benefit from a co-op mode. Good coop games are very rare and very tasty (dont think my pre-edit metaphor was forum-rule-compliant  ;D).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 03:41:18 pm by Puck »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2010, 03:02:49 pm »

I think the slowest I ever got with computers was back in the tape-recorder days. 'Course, I skipped all the way to 286s after that, so I think I may have missed a lot of slow loading stuff there. But as far as my memory goes, with the games I played, they loaded up reasonably fast. Like monkey island (the first CGA one).

I know I'm not doing anything noble with piracy, in fact, I avoid it most of the time, except to demo a game I'm considering buying. I think what I consider a least a bit noble is really not endorsing crappy games. It's horrible to dish out 50-60 bucks into a game, which could go to a decent wine, and then find out the game is pure crap. Spore anyone? I pre-ordered it. I cry.

And Cthulhu, the games I don't buy are from people I hope, I really really hope, will never ever make pc games again. Like people who make movie based games.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2010, 03:03:51 pm »

Multiplayer mod? Didn't the coop come out in an official patch?

And that's the way I played it extensively for the first time. Whatever great storyline and suspence it might've had, it was pretty hillarious on coop. Starting from the fact that the protagonist looked like a blind man, with those black goggle-glasses and constantly holding his hand out in front of him like he wasn't sure what's right in front of him.

Synzig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2010, 03:09:25 pm »

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2010, 03:37:25 pm »

One of the single most annoying things about the current console generation's games is that generally (and there are few exceptions) if you want to play it multiplayer you have to be online.

Why have the ability to connect 4 controllers, if you cant do split screen? Why can't system link work? I cant count the amount of games that've been completely ruined by enforced xbox live.

Also annoying is the combination of churnining out sequels/remakes/prequels, etc, but making the game less fun than those that came before. Usually the game is dumbed down more, buggy, has less gameplay options, etc.

Loading times don't really bother me, and focus on graphics in of itself doesn't either (aslong as the gameplay is good... the two arent mutually exclusive).

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2010, 03:39:57 pm »

Multiplayer mod? Didn't the coop come out in an official patch?

And that's the way I played it extensively for the first time. Whatever great storyline and suspence it might've had, it was pretty hillarious on coop. Starting from the fact that the protagonist looked like a blind man, with those black goggle-glasses and constantly holding his hand out in front of him like he wasn't sure what's right in front of him.
It was a mod, I think it was incorporated in a later patch, not sure whether official or unofficial.

Sure, the player models looked like ass, but that's because there never actually were any real player models in game. But its just graphics, right? the gameplay worked, and it was great.

Sadly, its kind of rare these days.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2010, 03:47:21 pm »

What annoys me the most is the dumbed down gameplay and heavy emphasis on graphics.

I prefer playing 10 year old D&D based games than any of the new games.
At least they are complex and offer atmosphere.

When I look at todays RPG and MMORPG genere it just makes me sad, when I think was has become of my favorite genere.

Also hardly any turn based strategy or tactical games come out nowadays.

If I'm looking for a good game I go to the under 10€ section on Steam or look for one of the few good console games for the Wii.
God bless the possibility to download all the great SNES and N64 games on it.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2010, 03:58:56 pm »

I feel that while all of the things you mention are bad, the beflogged horse issue is the worst. It stops invention and innovation, trapping us in the same gameplay we've always had.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2010, 04:09:43 pm »

THUMBS

All th CRPGs these days require THUMBS

I like to sit and fret ..."Should i cast the lightning spell on those archers in the middle...the death spell on that Golem... a Sleep spell on those wolves?...or retreat 5 hexes and try to get one guy out of here alive...hmmmm"

not enough "hmmmm" in today's games
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2010, 04:11:50 pm »

I know this goes a bit against my annoyance with the elitism of a lot of players, but a lot of these problems are there because they're what people want.  Games are too expensive to risk on innovation, which is why every cow that gives golden milk is milked to death and inbred until it's a monstrosity.  People buy them, so they keep doing it.  Same with the graphics thing.  Graphics is what sells games.  We're a very small minority, and just because we like something a bit more refined, that doesn't make the other people stupid.

I agree with Yamo, I prefer things that give you time to sit and ponder, which is why I suck at FPSes.  I play them for a while and start to get good, but I inevitably go back to slower stuff.  I am awful at Starcraft, Warcraft, Company of Heroes, and the other twitchy RTSes.  I prefer TBSes, but then I get into the problem of not doing enough in a turn.  I remember one time in Civ 4 I spent like 20 turns doing nothing but moving a boat around attempting to circumnavigate the globe.  Derp.
Shoes...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2010, 05:20:07 pm »

Yeah, well, I may sound a bit harsh because I got disappointed more than once with last year's games and the year before that. Plus I don't see anything bright coming this year. I saw Fallen earth got some major bug fixing and revamping and they just gave me 10 days for free, so I might get a bit busy with that one to see how it goes. It's a theme I really like and the fact they mostly based it on skills and crafting really captivated me. The problem was the old mmorpg formula that the slower you get things the better. That's just not true. I didn't feel the drive to get all those levels again after beta was over so I didn't buy it. It took me a long long time just to get to level 14 of... I have no idea how many. I want to relieve stress, not feel like I'm working yet again and paying for it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 05:25:01 pm by Soulwynd »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2010, 05:23:08 pm »

Haha, good you reminded me of that game. Seems they have a free trial now...

Perfect timewaster for a week!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 66