Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Timber and Stone  (Read 15099 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Timber and Stone
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2013, 06:53:17 am »

please do a lp. It would be appreciated
Only a simple mind can be certain.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2013, 08:53:55 am »

Yea, goblins are annoying, they killed my forager (one hit  :'( ), and they're roaming the country, and I don't have soldiers (well, infantry and archers lvl 1). I'm trying to build a wall and a moat right now.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2013, 01:54:45 pm »

Isn't this game out of alpha technically?

If it's not a fully fleshed release, ready to buy, version 1.0 game then it's still in alpha.

Doesn't the website call it 1.0 though?  Which would certainly imply a finished game.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2013, 02:43:54 pm »

His 1.0 mean the first version available to all backer, doesnt mean completed game i believe. At least that what i gather with a quick look on his forum.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2013, 03:07:14 pm »

Doesn't the website call it 1.0 though?  Which would certainly imply a finished game.

It would imply that but that's unfortunate, because if you read through he's only calling it 1.0 because it's the first version available to the public. He clearly has lots more planned for the game and he just wants to open it up for more people to get feedback from. The 1.0 label is going to give the impression that it's supposed to be finished...  that could have been thought out better.
Utility plugins for DFHack, for improving Dwarf Fortress' user interface.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2013, 06:03:38 am »

Soo, how is the game, anyone can give little detailed review of what is good/bad?
Make love not war

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2013, 06:55:15 am »

that looks quite good,although by the sound of it I expected we'd be able to run around in 1st person and fight those golbin off the walls "personnally".

has he mentionned anything about his plans to expand the game around the building area, à la df ?

a review of one of you guys who got it would be much appreciated :)

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2013, 07:34:23 am »

that looks quite good,although by the sound of it I expected we'd be able to run around in 1st person and fight those golbin off the walls "personnally".

oh I see... from http://timberstonewiki.net/wiki/Adventurer
The adventurer is a unit type that you can take control of to see the game in a FPS perspective. It is expected to be released in the full version of the game.

So I had a look at a hrmm *demo* and....IT IS BEAUTIFUL. even if my miner for some reason does not want to mine what i designed. But anyway. I've seen enough to stop for now and quietly wait that the game's price and my budget somehow meet each other.

Seriously peoples believe me this looks awesome. All I've seen is a woodcutter cutting trees and I'm sold.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:50:32 am by casserol »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2013, 07:53:25 am »

Your miner probably wasn't equipped with a pickaxe, as you have to designate everything like that. Also, I find it frustrating that I need to keep changing their professions and switching their equipment to get them to complete the simple and necessary tasks. Furthermore I find it to be very poorly optimized. All of that being said, there is a game under all of that and I think it could be fun with a bit of redesign or a different audience.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2013, 10:01:26 am »

So I recently decided to give this a go. It's fairly fun. I would say it's a bit like Dwarf Fortress with Stonesense, the pacing is much slower but the mechanics of the game are quite interesting. Still get a few issues where units seem to forget what they are doing and just stay still and you have to give them a little poke, and then other issues where they pick up more then they are supposed to carry and then just cry.

I do like it though, the game can be a bit brutal on new players but really so is DF, wiki is constantly improving to make it easier for new players and the dev is still updating so its getting better all the time.

I really like being able to see ranged units fire from battlements on to goblins below and the physics interactions are quite funny as well, arrows can pin people to objects, although the AI can be a bit mean, quite often in my first few settlements my archers would kill infantry and one time randomly shot a carpenter into a chair where he lay slumped and dead.

I would recommend it, quite a fun game, not as much to do or as polished as DF but it's still a pretty good game and looking to improve over time.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2013, 10:29:35 am »

So I recently decided to give this a go. It's fairly fun. I would say it's a bit like Dwarf Fortress with Stonesense, the pacing is much slower but the mechanics of the game are quite interesting. Still get a few issues where units seem to forget what they are doing and just stay still and you have to give them a little poke, and then other issues where they pick up more then they are supposed to carry and then just cry.

I do like it though, the game can be a bit brutal on new players but really so is DF, wiki is constantly improving to make it easier for new players and the dev is still updating so its getting better all the time.

I really like being able to see ranged units fire from battlements on to goblins below and the physics interactions are quite funny as well, arrows can pin people to objects, although the AI can be a bit mean, quite often in my first few settlements my archers would kill infantry and one time randomly shot a carpenter into a chair where he lay slumped and dead.

I would recommend it, quite a fun game, not as much to do or as polished as DF but it's still a pretty good game and looking to improve over time.

Hmm, I see the developer has released a lot of updates in the past few months.

I think I last played 1.3 and it had some bugs that made the game unplayable (units would stop moving/working if they weren't idle when a task was started, i.e. couldnt have someone build 3 structures in a row without manually making them idle in between).

Now that it's up to 1.42, I'll have to try it again  :D
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]