Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: dead pets  (Read 1799 times)

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dead pets
« on: September 01, 2006, 06:12:00 pm »

1st time i've seen a hunting dog die of old age (and that's within the 1st year)

no problem... left it to rot outside and now the owner is rather unhappy.

.. does anyone bother building / placing a load of coffins just in case? have never done it so far.. anything i need to look out for?

--
forgot to mention.. it was in the middle of nowhere on the outside... and i slapped a 1 square graveyard pile under the corpse before it rotted.

[ September 01, 2006: Message edited by: bbb ]

Citizen of Erl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dead pets
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 06:43:00 pm »

I just designate a graveyard and make certain there are doors on it to keep the Miasma away.

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 10:59:00 pm »

I've noticed they start using sarcophogauses for dead pets, bit wastefull to me, but ah well, i've got a legendary mason and enough rocks to fill half a necropolis with them, so i dont mind.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 01:32:00 am »

so what exactly happens in a graveyard pile.. do they drag newly built coffins over there? or do you have to make another room, setup a coffin and let whoever poach it? do they drag bodies into coffin from the graveyard pile?

do coffins have to have 1 room each?

in a previous game i had a graveyard pile.. and nothing happened.. granted that dead hunting dog (killed by wild life) was in the middle of the forest (again) and i didn't set it to collect refuse from the outside.. and i guess i didn't wait long enough. probably should have had someone do nothing but burials

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 01:43:00 am »

Graveyard piles are only for corpses awaiting burial or butchery.  Other bodies go into the refuse pile.

Coffins and caskets are placed into a Furniture Pile when manufactured.

A coffin or casket must be installed before it allows burial.  It must then be authorised for burial after being installed (this prevents an installed casket from being immediately claimed, just in case you wanted to create a noble's tomb out of the casket you just installed).

Designating a tomb is only of real value for nobles and their progeny.  Otherwise the caskets will be used by any corpses awaiting burial.  However, regular dwarves probably enjoy getting dedicated tombs all the same, even if it is a bit morbidly foreboding.

Dead people don't care about their surroundings, so as long as they are installed indoors, your catacombs can be as spartan or rich as desired for affectational purposes.  I personally like to make a series of long tunnels lined with individual alcoves where the coffins are installed.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 07:40:00 am »

In my expirience, don't bother with coffins.
It will just make your dwarves waste time retrieving corpses from right under the god**** Elephant that killed them in the first place...
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 11:01:00 am »

Graveyards don't really help without coffins, because the bodies will decay anyway (resulting in the unhappiness.)  I haven't had any problems with this causing tantrums unless I've been abusing dwarves in other ways - one of the migrants' children lost a father, mother, and brother in a freak flood, and then her kitten was killed by a giant lion, and they all decayed at once.  Poor little Cryptcraft.   :(

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 10:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>Dead people don't care about their surroundings, so as long as they are installed indoors, your catacombs can be as spartan or rich as desired for affectational purposes.  I personally like to make a series of long tunnels lined with individual alcoves where the coffins are installed.</STRONG>
Hmm.  Perhaps dwarves who still have an unhappy thought from a dead friend or relative should have to 'grieve it off' by visiting the coffin?  A higher-quality coffin would recover their happiness faster than, say, a dwarf stuffed into a plywood box.  (although we all know that the plywood box would actually use up more valuable resources...)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 11:54:00 pm »

I've taken to paving my entrance hallways with coffins.

No need to dig out extra corridors that way.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 12:32:00 am »

Apparently, bones don't decay anymore if placed in an indoor graveyard. After a while, you'll have an ossuary.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 02:48:00 am »

do i get to use the bones to carve stuff? XD

pauli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 12:02:00 pm »

i wish.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 06:52:00 pm »

Someone mentioned that there's a form of evil possession or somesuch that will make a dwarf create a dwarfbone object.  You can't force them to do it, though.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 02:48:00 am »

...cats (not stray) don't get graves?!... makes sense i guess.. too many cats.. heh

stray dogs (and other stray animals) are not buried either... nor are they placed in graveyard pile.. just a refuse pile..

mind you.. at least their bones can be used (strange that they can't be butchered though.. a bit inconsistent maybe)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 06:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>Someone mentioned that there's a form of evil possession or somesuch that will make a dwarf create a dwarfbone object.  You can't force them to do it, though.</STRONG>

I've had a dwarfbone chest created. The creator murdered another dwarf to do it however, instead of grave robbing.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games
Pages: [1] 2