Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question on building.  (Read 20881 times)

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
Question on building.
« on: January 23, 2010, 08:28:57 pm »

Hello, I have not been playing this game for long (less than a week) but I already have a fairly good grasp on game mechanics. I was just wondering if the building type shown below would stand or collapse on itself and the rest of my fort on layers under it.

This is not to scale, it is four layers high but the middle part is fourty tiles long and seven tiles wide in between the two towers. It is going to be the front of four such towers but it is going to be the access to the courtyard between the 3 walls.

Thanks for any input and sorry if this has been asked or if this is the wrong place to post this questuion.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Question on building.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 10:35:15 pm »

The upper layer of the forum is the place for any discussion of Dwarf Fortress, which is what I believe you are talking about.

To your question: Currently, the game has extremely little potential for any building to collapse. A built construction will only collapse if it is not connected to anything connected the the bottom layer. The world world can be support on 1 tile connected to the bottom layer, so if anything is connected to the ground with atleast 1 tile, it should stay up.

This, for example, would work.

Your construction would also work.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.